• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chingford Depot - West Anglia (GA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mix107

I am starting as a trainee driver for GA at Chingford in Nov. I had originally applied for Bishop's Stortford, but no vacancies here until next year, subject to change. So thought it best to get in, commute a bit further and can always transfer depots in the future.

Can any Chingford drivers tell me a bit about the depot? I know you sign 315, 317 and 379 units and all parts of the West Anglia. But do you mostly do all the Suburban routes or do you get quite a few diagrams going to Stansted Airport, Stratford to Bishop's Stortford and Cambridge? In other words much variety? What's the earliest start and latest finish? General Shift pattern, number of night shifts and how often?

Do you get a London Waiting allowance at Chingford being close to London?

Any info on the above would be useful to know.

Thanks in advance

Mix

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

slick

Hi there, Chingford jobs do cover mainly Chingford, Cheshunt and Enfield services and probably about half of our weekday jobs now have a Hertford east after or before our break. There are 52 weekday jobs at chingford, 9 include or are completely airports, 4 include cambridge. Some also include services to bishops stortford from stratford and trips over to ilford depot. Theres enough variety to keep it from being boring. The only trips that tend to not come up very often are cambridges. You can go months without getting up there.

Earliest start is 5am latest finish is 1.30am. The majority of our lines are patterned as follows...

mon tue wed thu - -
- - wed thu fri sat
mon tue - - fri sat

Not always in that order though. Nights come up usually every 6-8 weeks. sundays are not included and drivers who are rostered can make themself not available and drivers not rostered can make themself available for an extra sunday.

London weighting on full whack is currently £194.07 per pay which is every 4 weeks.

Chingford in my opinion is a fantastic depot, yes we do have the majority of the WA stop-start "see a station stop" jobs but theres a good vibe there, everyone is seen equally whether youve been out 4 weeks or 4 years. We get along in the main although by law of averages your always going to have a few who may not float your boat as there are 114 of us based there :roll: but most are happy to help out when your in need including managers. Drivers organise allsorts of things outside of work aswell, drinks, paintball, football to name but a few things. Trust me you'll love it!

ChrisTheRef

Established Member
I am starting as a trainee driver for GA at Chingford in Nov. I had originally applied for Bishop's Stortford, but no vacancies here until next year, subject to change. So thought it best to get in, commute a bit further and can always transfer depots in the future.

Can any Chingford drivers tell me a bit about the depot? I know you sign 315, 317 and 379 units and all parts of the West Anglia. But do you mostly do all the Suburban routes or do you get quite a few diagrams going to Stansted Airport, Stratford to Bishop's Stortford and Cambridge? In other words much variety? What's the earliest start and latest finish? General Shift pattern, number of night shifts and how often?

Do you get a London Waiting allowance at Chingford being close to London?

Any info on the above would be useful to know.

Thanks in advance

Mix

I'm currently in the recruitment process for a GA driver job.

Were you given the choice of depot once you'd got the job? I had heard you may have to specify before the manager's interview, as it would dictate which manager you were interviewed by.

Mix107

I'm currently in the recruitment process for a GA driver job.

Were you given the choice of depot once you'd got the job? I had heard you may have to specify before the manager's interview, as it would dictate which manager you were interviewed by.[/QUOTE]

Hi there.

I actually applied for Bishop's Stortford only as that is my closest depot. But the July intake was full and wasn't for Bishop's Stortford anyway. So rather than wait, I requested to go on the Nov intake for Chingford, rather than delay any further and not risk getting in. I was interviewed by the Chingford and Bishop's Stortford manager.

So yes you can request a preference, but may have to wait depending on the business needs of each depot at each intake. Could be a long wait and a risk in my opinion if you hold out for a particular depot. Seems to be 4 intakes per year on the West Anglia.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Hi there, Chingford jobs do cover mainly Chingford, Cheshunt and Enfield services and probably about half of our weekday jobs now have a Hertford east after or before our break. There are 52 weekday jobs at chingford, 9 include or are completely airports, 4 include cambridge. Some also include services to bishops stortford from stratford and trips over to ilford depot. Theres enough variety to keep it from being boring. The only trips that tend to not come up very often are cambridges. You can go months without getting up there.

Earliest start is 5am latest finish is 1.30am. The majority of our lines are patterned as follows...

mon tue wed thu - -
- - wed thu fri sat
mon tue - - fri sat

Not always in that order though. Nights come up usually every 6-8 weeks. sundays are not included and drivers who are rostered can make themself not available and drivers not rostered can make themself available for an extra sunday.

London weighting on full whack is currently £194.07 per pay which is every 4 weeks.

Chingford in my opinion is a fantastic depot, yes we do have the majority of the WA stop-start "see a station stop" jobs but theres a good vibe there, everyone is seen equally whether youve been out 4 weeks or 4 years. We get along in the main although by law of averages your always going to have a few who may not float your boat as there are 114 of us based there :roll: but most are happy to help out when your in need including managers. Drivers organise allsorts of things outside of work aswell, drinks, paintball, football to name but a few things. Trust me you'll love it!

Hi Slick

Thanks for all the info. Feel really good about my decision to request Chingford after your post. Sounds a great depot! Looking forward to joining and glad there is quite a lot of variety!

Just a couple of extra questions if you don't mind.

How many Sundays do you normally get rostered for per month, because don't you get one long weekend every month too? Aren't Sundays 125% of basic pay?

With the night shifts, is this working last trains and empty unit movements? When do these tend to start/finish and do you get any night shift allowance?

With the London Weighting, do you know if this is only paid when fully passed out or do you get it once with your driver mentor? Do you also know also know the figure your salary goes up to once you've signed your first route and are productive? I know the initial training wage is £25k, which involves some belt tightening initially.

What is the holiday entitlement at GA and does it increase with service?

Assume there is plenty of driver parking, as that my main means of getting to Chingford from mid Essex?

Many thanks

slick

There is no set pattern for sundays, sometimes you can have two in month sometimes none. The biggest gap is 4weeks.

Sundays and restdays are indeed 125%

Nights generally. Working last trains, shunting, and preping units and sometimes a round trip in the morning. No shift allowance.

London weighting for trainees is £2,231 per anum. Drivers and PQA is £2,531.

Once qualified 1st year salary is £30,482.

Holiday entitlment is 24 days.

Chingford is very easy to get to from essex and the parking facilities are more than adequate! Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.