• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chinley to Scunthorpe - Off Peak Return - question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chapeltom

Established Member
Hi all.

I'm planning to travel from Chinley to Scunthorpe on Friday 30th March/Saturday 31st March.

I want to arrive in Sheffield for 7pm on Fri 30 and meet up with a mate of mine, stop at his place and continue to travel the next day Sat 31 on the 1211 from Sheffield to Scunthorpe.

Is that fine with an Off Peak Return?

Thank you

Tom

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
This keeps being asked, so I will refer you to previous posts on the subject.

The Manaual gives the following rules for a break on a SVR
#4 - Break of Journey

Break of journey is allowed on the outward portion of Off-Peak tickets unless otherwise indicated by a restriction shown against the ticket’s validity code and in all cases on the return portion of Off-Peak return tickets.
Off-Peak Singles and the outward portion of Off-Peak Returns are valid for travel on the date shown on the ticket and until 04:29 the following morning. If the journey cannot be completed in this time, the ticket may be used to continue the journey on the following day. Unless otherwise indicated in the relevant restriction code, the same time restrictions from the origin station apply on BOTH days. All travel must be completed by 04:29 in the morning after this second day. Please note that break of journey is not permitted on some journeys, as detailed in the ticket restrictions.
Return portions of Off-Peak Return tickets are valid for travel until 04:29 on the day following the last day of validity (i.e. one calendar month from outward journey). All travel must be completed by this time.
Note: Cross London transfers on Off-Peak Singles will only be accepted by London Underground on the date shown on the ticket and until 04:29 the following day.

The rules on overnight break of journey have changed, the new rules apparently contain an error (and a memo to staff issued but the error not actually fixed) and the old rules are still shown in many sources of information. A search for overnight break site:railforums.co.uk on Google will show you previous topics debating this issue, it most recently cropped up in this topic however the OP wanted to break on the 2nd night, but many of the principles were debated. I'd particularly note this post from a topic last September from an authoritative source.

The issue of the validity of an Off Peak Return for overnight break of journey on the outward portion is confusing, and I will refer you to my recent post on the subject:

The old wording used to be not great as I was once involved in an altercation at Slough with some disgraceful FGW barrier staff who attempted to stop me breaking my journey (York-Weymouth) overnight. I had absolutely no problems with the far better FGW and SWT guards. The wording then changed to the wording in the original post, and that was a huge step forward as it gave customers the right to choose (and not be forced to arrive at their destination at some daft time like 0130!)

But now they've changed again, but not in all places, and are even more confusing. It appears the new wording contains errors. This was clarified in an extremely helpful post by a very helpful member of this forum back in September 2011.

Chapeltom

Established Member
This keeps being asked, so I will refer you to previous posts on the subject.

So even if the outward portion of my ticket says Valid Until 30th March which mine does, I can BoJ overnight and be fine? Sorry I'm just worried, because I'm actually off to Lincoln where I know there is barriers!

Thanks.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.