• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Christian Woolmar mystery

Status
Not open for further replies.

jadmor

I came across this quote in the Kindle edition of Christian Woolmars book on British Rail, describing the launch of Network South-East;

"The comedian Tony Hancock also featured in a later advertisement, rather oddly waiting for a train that he missed because he went to the loo."

Wolmar, Christian. British Rail (p. 289). Penguin Books Ltd. Kindle Edition.

I am sure that this must be a mistake, as Tony Hancock died in 1968. I wonder if anyone has any idea who this comedian might be? I have been searching for links to adverts for Network Rail at the time of launch, but so far without success.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jadmor

Possible; there was an episode of Hancocks half hour set on a train. It still feels like an odd choice of personality though.

Cymroglan

I wonder if it might worth your while contacting the NSE society?
I think that an actor who might have been Trevor Bannister did some Hancock spoof or tribute work possibly in 1980s/90s? Could have been him?

Gloster

Established Member
The Science Museum has a tape of Trevor Bannister playing Tony Hancock in ‘Hancock’s Parcel Service’ from 1985. In it ‘Hancock’ sets himself up in competition to Red Star. It seems to be an advert for BR recorded in front of a live audience, so perhaps there were others. All very odd.

There is also a Tony Hancock Appreciation Society, but only a Facebook page for Trevor Bannister.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
The Science Museum has a tape of Trevor Bannister playing Tony Hancock in ‘Hancock’s Parcel Service’ from 1985. In it ‘Hancock’ sets himself up in competition to Red Star. It seems to be an advert for BR recorded in front of a live audience, so perhaps there were others. All very odd.
They also have the Alf Garnett tape too!
848563AB-2CB6-452F-A723-D5965486F403.jpeg
I vaguely remember a Red Star poster featuring Hancock but can’t remember the details.

fandroid

Established Member
I remember a clip of Tony Hancock (fairly sure it was the genuine article) dodging in and out of train doors and even possibly crossing from one platform to another through a stationary train. I don't think it was part of any of his TV series.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Of course, Tony Hancock did advertising work for BR under Dr Beeching, so could some of the footage have been re-used ?

Gloster

Established Member
I remember a clip of Tony Hancock (fairly sure it was the genuine article) dodging in and out of train doors and even possibly crossing from one platform to another through a stationary train. I don't think it was part of any of his TV series.

I think it was in the film The Rebel, with Bingham Road being used as the station. I can’t find on YouTube, so can’t be certain.

EDIT: The entry for Bingham Road on .disused-stations.org.uk says that he crosses through one train to another on the further line in The Rebel.

Last edited:

GatwickDepress

Established Member
I think it was in the film The Rebel, with Bingham Road being used as the station. I can’t find on YouTube, so can’t be certain.

EDIT: The entry for Bingham Road on .disused-stations.org.uk says that he crosses through one train to another on the further line in The Rebel.
The marvellous British Railway Movie Database has an article on The Rebel, complete with stills and further information.

Gloster

Established Member
The marvellous British Railway Movie Database has an article on The Rebel, complete with stills and further information.

There are also some similar stills on .reelstreets.com . I suspect that the photos of Hancock travelling in a left-hand drive car on a train may have been taken in or around the Simca factory at Poissy.

mrcheek

Established Member
Ive posted a link to this thread on the Tony Hancock Appreciation Society facebook page, see if it jogs anyone's memory!

jadmor

CW responded to say it was a mistake, so I think we can now safely say that Tony Hancock was not the actor. On the other hand he did not say who who he thinks it actually was. So if anyone comes across a video of a man emerging from a toilet on a Network South-East station to find he has missed his train, please get in touch!

Broucek

The book has a shocking number of errors. I am probably one of the least knowledgeable people on this forum (railway-wise) and I spotted several...

Status
Not open for further replies.