• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Christmas starts earlier every year...

Status
Not open for further replies.

najaB

Veteran Member
The puzzle I is why, in the traditional areas of NY celebrations in NE England and Scotland (where big public events have become more the thing to do ) public transport closes down for the duration.
Because, traditionally, such celebrations tended to be local - for example first footing your neighbour's house.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pdq

In fairness though, there's no reason mince pies can't be enjoyed all year round.
Try buying mince pies on December 27th!

It's the same with Christmas songs and - in particular - carols. We'll hear them to saturation point until December 25th; then as soon as the carols actually become relevant they stop. Many carols that depict the whole Christmas story including the travel of the shepherds and wise men really shouldn't be sung/heard at all until after Christmas Day, or even Epiphany (Jan 6th).

trainophile

Established Member
Try buying mince pies on December 27th!

It's the same with Christmas songs and - in particular - carols. We'll hear them to saturation point until December 25th; then as soon as the carols actually become relevant they stop. Many carols that depict the whole Christmas story including the travel of the shepherds and wise men really shouldn't be sung/heard at all until after Christmas Day, or even Epiphany (Jan 6th).

Usually great stacks of them in supermarkets, being flogged off for 50p a box. Shelf life mid to late-January. What's not to like? :D

pdq

Not in my Tesco. I wanted some for a new year get together a few years ago and there were none to be found.

Groningen

Established Member
We (in the Netherlands) have supermarkets that are open on all days of the year. Yes; also on December 25 + 26 and January 1. In the past when X-mas was before or after Sunday everything was closed for 3 days. Not now anymore!

Butts

Veteran Member
We (in the Netherlands) have supermarkets that are open on all days of the year. Yes; also on December 25 + 26 and January 1. In the past when X-mas was before or after Sunday everything was closed for 3 days. Not now anymore!

Is that a good or a bad thing ?

In the UK it's a mixed picture but some stores are open on all of the days you mention in some part of the UK.

chris89

Established Member
Usually great stacks of them in supermarkets, being flogged off for 50p a box. Shelf life mid to late-January. What's not to like? :D

That is what happens at the Coop im at :P + If multiple packs and staff discount make it better haha.

Although, We have had the Christmas sweet selections/ boxes in since August and only recently put out the wrapping paper etc (Monday, had them for about 2 weeks though)

Either way, Working Christmas Eve as normal shift (But in earlier anyway, as shut at 8pm) Get paid the Sunday to, Also Voluntered to do Boxing day to.

Lack of trains up in Scotland, when up there for new year isn't a issue. As other half lives in Edinburgh now and by then should have a car anyway :)

GatwickDepress

Established Member
As soon as it hits Boxing Day, that's when we get the Easter eggs in... I'm not even kidding. I was working backdoor last year and we got two whole cages full of them.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Well according to The Mallard next to Doncaster station in the shopping centre yes! The place had a ruddy Christmas tree up when I was there on Saturday!

I saw some Christmas bits in some shops in July, but last weekend when I was up in the north west of England, I saw two houses with their Christmas decorations up and also a Christmas Tree in a shopping Centre.

Last edited:

ExRes

Established Member
There is an obvious answer to all this, do away with christmas and the holidays that go with it. It would seem that the majority claim not to be religious in any way and that those who are live in cloud cuckoo land, therefore, no christmas, no chaos, no being ripped off by the retail trade, no alcoholic oblivion, job done. The redeployment of redundant christmas related jobs would seem the only downside, although there may be outbreaks of SAD when christmas carols and jingles are not to be heard on the radio, television, mobile phones or in pubs, shops, lifts and police holding cells

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Tenterden in Kent will have one of the best rail services in the country on December 25th !
http://www.kesr.org.uk/christmas-day-pullman

I thought ... "That sounds nice, I wish I was near enough to Tenterden to be able to take them up on this" ... and then I saw the price!

£150. That's nearly as expensive as a walk on fare to get a G+T and packed lunch on Virgin!

In that case, it does look like a bargain - but I'm still nowhere near Tenterden!

:(

Status
Not open for further replies.