• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

'Circle to Search Line' and Samsung ads

stuu

Established Member
I don't get why branding upsets people so much. We have Santander cycles as well as the IFS cable car and nobody bats an eyelid and in other places like NY, things have sponsorship on the hire bikes and other places have branded trains.
Branding is absolutely fine. They can cover every surface of the stations for all I care. What bothers me is interfering with the actual navigation information - changing a station's name to something which sounds like another station was the worst because it isn't obviously an advert

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

H&I

TfL earned £830,000 from the Samsung “Circle to Search Line” advertising campaign. This is more than what they earned from the Burberry Street rebranding which is £200,000.

TfL earned £830,000 from Samsung’s circular tube map adverts​

It can be revealed that TfL earned £830,000 from Samsung’s recent advertising campaign that saw a reimagined circular tube mapdisplayed at six tube stations.

The contract between Transport for London (TfL) and Samsung Electronics granted them a two-week advertising space in six London Underground stations. The six stations used for the promotion were: Kings Cross, Blackfriars, Paddington, Westminster, Victoria, and Liverpool Street.

The temporary redesign championed the new Circle to Search with Google feature – a new feature on the Samsung Galaxy S24 smartphone, where users can search for anything shown on their phone screen without switching apps.

Usually, advertising campaign materials are designed by the advertising agency and then signed off by TfL as compliant with its specifications, but this time, it was TfL that designed the circular map for Samsung. That was likely a concession to the fact that TfL staff will have the tools and knowledge to make a realistic variant of the classic Harry Beck tube map.

Last edited:

JaJaWa

Established Member
TfL earned £830,000 from the Samsung “Circle to Search Line” advertising campaign. This is more than what they earned from the Burberry Street rebranding which is £200,000.

Quoted to comply with forum rules:
TfL earned £830,000 from Samsung’s circular tube map adverts

It can be revealed that TfL earned £830,000 from Samsung’s recent advertising campaign that saw a reimagined circular tube map displayed at six tube stations.

The contract between Transport for London (TfL) and Samsung Electronics granted them a two-week advertising space in six London Underground stations. The six stations used for the promotion were: Kings Cross, Blackfriars, Paddington, Westminster, Victoria, and Liverpool Street.

The temporary redesign championed the new Circle to Search with Google feature – a new feature on the Samsung Galaxy S24 smartphone, where users can search for anything shown on their phone screen without switching apps.

Usually, advertising campaign materials are designed by the advertising agency and then signed off by TfL as compliant with its specifications, but this time, it was TfL that designed the circular map for Samsung. That was likely a concession to the fact that TfL staff will have the tools and knowledge to make a realistic variant of the classic Harry Beck tube map.

There was also a restriction in the contract limiting Samsung to only using the circular map for marketing. If they produced any merchandise, it was for giving away as part of the campaign and couldn’t be sold later.

That’s likely why requests from map collectors for a copy of the map got turned down.

On top of the £830,000 sponsorship fee, Samsung also had to cover the cost of production, installation and removal of the circular maps. They also only got a handful of maps displayed in each station, with most of the maps left in their conventional style for passengers.
Source: https://www.ianvisits.co.uk/article...rom-samsungs-circular-tube-map-adverts-70281/

Thirteen

I assume it's because it was a longer campaign and more than one station they got more money.

I wonder what other opportunities can be done? Maybe Cockfosters can be rebranded Ghostbusters for the tie in for Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire? Something for the DLR for when the B23s debut? I think vinyl wrapping the Trams in Wimbledon colours would be fun even though it doesn't stop anywhere near the Tennis.

bspahh

Established Member
I wonder how much they get from the BBC for Mornington Crescent

H&I

£800,000 is also the sum IKEA paid to have their logo featured on the Tube map for an entire year, and is also approximately what two electric double-decker buses cost.

Last edited:

Thirteen

You can see why TfL does these partnerships, it's free money and they don't have to pay for installation and removal.

Out of interest, how much do Santander pay for the cycle hire or IFS for the Cable Cars.

DC1989

Many people - TFL need to make their own money and stop relying on central government handouts

TFL - trys to build housing on tube car parks and make advertising money.

Many people - No not like that!!