• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

cl66 Refueling

Status
Not open for further replies.

gareth taylor

I was just wondering, how long does a cl66 go before it needs refueling again? Fair enough some locos do long journeys and some short journeys.

Thanks.

Apologies if this has been covered before.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GB

Established Member
Too many factors really to give any sort of accurate figure but if it helps the older 66's have a fuel capicity of about 6400 litres and the newer low emissions ones about 5150 litres.

rail-britain

Established Member
I have nominal ranges for many of the older locos
From the fuel tank capacity they appear to be based on 1 mpg
Therefore it looks to be about 1100 miles

Rugd1022

Our FLHH 66s that we use out of Bardon Hill and Stud Farm etc usually go for about two days before needing any more fuel, but it all depends on the diagrams they're used on each week. They may do a couple of round trips to London then head off to Crewe or the South West for other jobs. On Friday nights we usually end up taking from one to five at a time from Bardon to Crewe for A exams etc, then bring them back on Sunday or Monday for the weeks work. Sometimes we fuel them at Bardon, sometimes the lads at Crewe do it. Whatever happens, our Loco Control man keep an eye on the exam dates and plans accordingly.

;)

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Our FLHH 66s that we use out of Bardon Hill and Stud Farm etc usually go for about two days before needing any more fuel, but it all depends on the diagrams they're used on each week. They may do a couple of round trips to London then head off to Crewe or the South West for other jobs. On Friday nights we usually end up taking from one to five at a time from Bardon to Crewe for A exams etc, then bring them back on Sunday or Monday for the weeks work. Sometimes we fuel them at Bardon, sometimes the lads at Crewe do it. Whatever happens, our Loco Control man keep an eye on the exam dates and plans accordingly.

;)

Do you use mobile diesel tankers to fuel them at Bardon? Where abouts do they get fuel at Crewe? Apologies if these appear to be daft questions but i've only recently started to get back into things!

Rugd1022

Do you use mobile diesel tankers to fuel them at Bardon? Where abouts do they get fuel at Crewe? Apologies if these appear to be daft questions but i've only recently started to get back into things!

No tankers at Bardon, there's a dedicated fuelling point alongside the quarry exchange sidings, accessed via a ground frame, and the FP at Crewe is at the north end of Basford Hall Yard. Next time I'm at Bardon I'll get a photo and post it here ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.