• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Clarendon Update on TSC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim

Established Member
There has been 1 new scnerio added to Clarendon, along with all the night stuff added on TSC (previousally available on Dennis' site)

The new run, was made by James (66526) with the appropriate loco (526) on the front. James created this run.

Enjoy playing

jim
Edited (by doublepost prevention system):
http://www.trainsimcentral.co.uk/clarendon.htm

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Just downloaded it and gave it a run. I found it quite enjoyable. However the night light level is very poor, I can hardly see anything until I adjusted the .ambientlighting command.

Dennis

Established Member
The night lighting levels are very much a matter of personal taste and will also depend on monitor settings and how light the room is. I'm therefore not at all surprised that you felt the need to adjust the .ambientlight settings. I find that somewhere in the region of 25,25,25 is great when driving in a dark room (at night, lights out) but on a bright day, something much higher is needed (eg 200,200,200). It must however be rememebered that at night, not much will actually be visible outside the range of the train lights.

One drawback with changing the ambient light settings is that it will affect the glow of some of the illuminated objects. This is a particular problem with some of the lighter coloured platform walls which have been coded to glow to simulate reflected light.

It is also worth noting that development of the night route was performed using a flat panel display - I have yet to see it on a CRT but can imagine it looks a lot better as it will be less sensitive to viewing angle.

A final issue regarding the night routes is dial illumination in the cab - not sure how to change this so that the dials shine brightly.

Personally, I am looking forward to more night routes - if properly done (which does take a lot of effort) they will add a whole new dimension to BVE.

One thing I noticed-

I was driving the cl170 route and upon arriving at Birkley Point, I got tripped by the TPWS for no apparant reason. My speed was around 20mph when approaching the station so I wasnt overspeeding as the speed limit was 25mph.

Any ideas or have I discovered a bug ???

ikar

EmergencyBrake said:
One thing I noticed-

I was driving the cl170 route and upon arriving at Birkley Point, I got tripped by the TPWS for no apparant reason. My speed was around 20mph when approaching the station so I wasnt overspeeding as the speed limit was 25mph.

Any ideas or have I discovered a bug ???

20mph is a little fast when aproaching a bay, isn't it.

Dennis

Established Member
10MPH is indeed the limit when at a terminal platform. It was 5MPH for a short while a few years back but this speed was found to be unrealistically low (with a couple of minutes being needed to traverse the platform length). The actual limit is have set is a little bit higher than 10MPH (knowing how BVE trains tend to be driven :mad: ).

ChrisCooper

Established Member
Dennis said:
10MPH is indeed the limit when at a terminal platform. It was 5MPH for a short while a few years back but this speed was found to be unrealistically low (with a couple of minutes being needed to traverse the platform length). The actual limit is have set is a little bit higher than 10MPH (knowing how BVE trains tend to be driven :mad: ).

The 5mph limit was actually only brought in since when TPWS was fitted on the approach to terminal platforms, trains were often being tripped at less than 10mph, so it was decided to lower the speed to 5mph until the problem could be sorted. It was due to the grids being so close together that the signals from them were interfearing to give the effect of another grid inbetween, and since the space between the grids effects the tripping speed, trains were being tripped at half the speed the grids were set at. The solution was to fit a different style of TPWS grid which are about 1/3 of the size of normal ones, and this allowed the appoach speed to be raised to 10mph again. I have heard that they can still be a bit hit and miss though, and some will still trip out below 10mph, although at least drivers are aware so usually slow down enough.

Dennis

Established Member
ChrisCooper said:
The 5mph limit was actually only brought in since when TPWS was fitted on the approach to terminal platforms, trains were often being tripped at less than 10mph, so it was decided to lower the speed to 5mph until the problem could be sorted. It was due to the grids being so close together that the signals from them were interfearing to give the effect of another grid inbetween, and since the space between the grids effects the tripping speed, trains were being tripped at half the speed the grids were set at. The solution was to fit a different style of TPWS grid which are about 1/3 of the size of normal ones, and this allowed the appoach speed to be raised to 10mph again. I have heard that they can still be a bit hit and miss though, and some will still trip out below 10mph, although at least drivers are aware so usually slow down enough.

Thanks for clearing that up I couldn't recall if 5MPH was introduced in response to a specific incident.

I remember travelling to places like Waterloo soon after TPWS fitment and the 5MPH restriction was is place - took absolutely ages to pull into the platforms, on slam door stock it was quicker to jump out at the first opportunity and walk!!

Status
Not open for further replies.