• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 08 cab window

Status
Not open for further replies.

GM228

I'm curious do the 08s have an openable/removable window at the ends of the locos?

I see a picture of 08663 on WNXX showing a member of the crew leaning out the window and can't say I've ever noticed this before.

http://www.wnxx.com/16/1611/241116/08663.htm

I assumed (possibly wrongly) that they had sealed windows?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hairy Bear

Both the little and large windows can be opened from the inside. Useful for cleaning and adjusting the wipers.

83G/84D

Established Member
I saw that picture and was wondering if it was a FGW / GWR modification as I have never seen this before. Do all 08's have this function?

lincolnshire

Was also very pleasent to open them on hot summer days while shunting in the yards at Toton!

Then you have natural ozone friendly air conditioning in summer providing the is at least a breeze.

Can,t remember exactly but was the loco side windows drop down style with a leather strap like the old coach door windows?

Kneedown

Established Member
Then you have natural ozone friendly air conditioning in summer providing the is at least a breeze.

Can,t remember exactly but was the loco side windows drop down style with a leather strap like the old coach door windows?

Drop down side windows had the standard metal latch at the top, at least when I worked them from 1990-95.
It was indeed rather pleasant on a warm day with all windows open!

Smudger105e

Both drop lights have sprung scissors to retain the window at the desired height.

Rear cab windows have a latch and are hinged on one side.

Driver's front "spectacle" windows also open. There is a bulge on the cab side to accommodate the wiper motor when this window is open.

Door lights are fixed.

Cab roof hatches have been sealed for years if not completely removed!

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

lincolnshire

Both drop lights have sprung scissors to retain the window at the desired height.

Rear cab windows have a latch and are hinged on one side.

Driver's front "spectacle" windows also open. There is a bulge on the cab side to accommodate the wiper motor when this window is open.

Door lights are fixed.

Cab roof hatches have been sealed for years if not completely removed!

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

Yes forgot about the roof hatch, mind you I am going back quite a few years as some of the ones we had was ex LNER ones where you had to prime the lub oil with the hand pump before starting up and there was also the fuel hand pump too and they was also only 90 volt instead of 110 volts, they might have been the ones with the leather strap on the side windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.