• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 08s, Barriers and HSTs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heinz57

Hi all,

This question is in relation to my layout, Elveden Road. So I will start by briefly explaining how the layout works...

The layout imagines a coaching stock depot, mostly HST Mk3s. Short trains of usually two or three coaches are bought in via a diesel locomotive (usually its a 66 but it can be anything) and delivered. Here they are intercepted by a shunter where they are moved around the depot to be cleaned, serviced or refurbished. Whatever is required. Not exactly prototypical I know, but its something different.

So, onto my questions, how would the real world prototype of this work?

Firstly the 08, now I can't imagine an 08 would shunt with a barrier vehicle would shunt with a barrier, too much agro. So how would it work in terms of adapting to the HST coupling? Would they have some form of adapter piece they fit on, or would there be a HST style coupling that swings out?

The barrier vehicles, how do these work? I've seen photos of real world stock moves and these usually have a barrier on each end of the train. Now due to space I can't do this on my layout, I can only run one, how could this work? Would they perhaps fit some form of swing out coupling like the 08s?

Its only recently when I decided I need one so the design of the almost completed layout doesn't take this into account, but anyway space would prevent it. Because it is an end to end layout with one fiddle yard, the loco would have to run around the barrier vehicle to take the train away. There are no facilities on the layout to physically turn the barrier around.

Any help you can give is very much appreciated.

Cheers,

Heinz

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alexl92

Established Member
In terms of barrier/translator vehicles, they don't have to be something as big as a bogie coach. In 1988 BR sent a class 89, 90 and 91 along with two coaches and a Class 150 sprinter to Hamburg for an exhibition, and they used these as translater/barrier wagons:
http://www.traintesting.com/images/ADB889015 Dunkerque.jpg

This is the page from which I found that image, with more info on that trip: http://www.traintesting.com/IVA_88.htmhttp://www.traintesting.com/IVA_88.htm

So a normal 4-wheel van might work :)

O L Leigh

Established Member
You won't need a barrier for depot shunting. Cl08s used on HST depots had a drophead buckeye coupler and would couple directly onto the HST vehicles.

Depot shunters on other types of depots use a variety of methods to couple which could either be a coupling adapter or a barrier vehicle. Ilford's depot shunter uses 4 wheel wagons with Tightlocks on the outer ends (click) while the HNRC shunter at Central Rivers uses an adapter (click).

O L Leigh

Heinz57

Thanks for your responses chaps.

It looks like using two barrier vehicles is the way to go then. I have some spare 4 wheel tanks knocking around, I could perhaps use them. Two of them would be roughly the same length as a Mk1 barrier so should work.

Cheers,

Heinz

O L Leigh

Established Member
If you have space to receive 3 coach trains you have sufficient length for an HST coach with a barrier coach at each end. If you use Mk1 BGs such as those at Etches Park they will be slightly shorter than a standard coach and it will look prototypically correct.

I suppose it all depends on how many vehicles you want to move in a single movement. It's not unusual for coaches to be moved to and from works one at a time because the TOCs can't necessarily spare them.

O L Leigh

Status
Not open for further replies.