• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 121 DMU Bubble car "Flora"

In Shrewsbury this morning I noticed a few photographers on an over bridge and when I asked what was about was told they were expecting Brittania on its way to Crewe via Wolverhampton. Naturally interested I waited but was intrigued to see instead of Brittania a carmine and cream DMU bubble car with the name Flora on the side. I'm assuming that this may have been an officer's special or route learning trip and was using the spare path. Anyone know what it was and where it was going, RTT shows Coton Hill to Crewe but is that just the Q path?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kneedown

Established Member
In Shrewsbury this morning I noticed a few photographers on an over bridge and when I asked what was about was told they were expecting Brittania on its way to Crewe via Wolverhampton. Naturally interested I waited but was intrigued to see instead of Brittania a carmine and cream DMU bubble car with the name Flora on the side. I'm assuming that this may have been an officer's special or route learning trip and was using the spare path. Anyone know what it was and where it was going, RTT shows Coton Hill to Crewe but is that just the Q path?
I'm afraid I can't personally answer your question, but if the inside was anything like the one we had for the Nottingham resignalling diversionary route learners, then "Flora" would be a most appropriate name for it.
David Bellamy would have loved all the weird things growing out of every crevice!

sprinterguy

Established Member
I'm afraid I can't personally answer your question, but if the inside was anything like the one we had for the Nottingham resignalling diversionary route learners, then "Flora" would be a most appropriate name for it.
David Bellamy would have loved all the weird things growing out of every crevice!
Given the opulent interiors of Jeremy Hosking's other private train, I suspect the interior of this one will be of a somewhat higher standard.
is this not the pimped out LSL owned one car DMU?
Yeah it's Locomotive Services' class 121 unit, released from refurbishment in the autumn of last year (for anyone who needs the background information) as Jeremy Hosking's private "Chairman's Saloon".

fgwrich

Established Member
Given the opulent interiors of Jeremy Hosking's other private train, I suspect the interior of this one will be of a somewhat higher standard.

Yeah it's Locomotive Services' class 121 unit, released from refurbishment in the autumn of last year (for anyone who needs the background information) as Jeremy Hosking's private "Chairman's Saloon".
It is, I kid you not, a mobile cocktail bar.

However, it certainly had wheelflats yesterday and its Leyland 680s were rather Smokey upon departure from Crewe.

D365

Veteran Member
Hmm, it does beg the question of who will be paying for private saloon vehicles to [eventually] be fitted with ETCS. (For context - the DB Cargo Company Train was, until recently, on the Freight ETCS vehicle list.)

Not my video. Flora can be seen here around 2:45 minutes at Crewe yesterday with some interior shots.
That's the one.

It did look very opulent inside from what I could see, very nice lampshades on the table lamps.

@sprinterguy Yes I think we'd all love to do that too. Be great if it had a sleeping compartment too if you had an early start or late night!

I'm guessing if the Q path is for LSL that JH was just using that for his own jolly. There were a few definitely disgruntled photographers at Shrewsbury though who were expecting Brittania. Tbf RTT showed an ECS with diesel loco and trailing load 715 tons.

Otis

Interesting footage. Just wondering - does it have a lavatory fitted? None of the shots/videos I've seen suggests it does, but I'd be interested to know if anyone can confirm.

Interesting footage. Just wondering - does it have a lavatory fitted? None of the shots/videos I've seen suggests it does, but I'd be interested to know if anyone can confirm.

Maybe that's why it had stopped, I thought it was a signal check but perhaps not...!

Forty29

If you include Royal Scots Grey, LSL has two 55022's on the books?!. I know the Deltic is running as D9000.!