• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 142 mock up in NSE livery

Status
Not open for further replies.

shedman

I have a picture on my phone of what appears to be a mock up of a class 142 painted in NSE livery. I got the picture from a display that A1 propaint have recently put up displaying their handy work over the past probably 15 years or so. I don't know how to post pictures on here from my phone otherwise I'd attach it. So I was wondering what is the history behind this and why was it painted in NSE livery?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nym

Established Member
Click the attach button (paperclip in advanced post page), click browse, browse to the file's location, click OK, click attach, close the window, post the message as normal. (Assuming you're using a Windows based PC)

shedman

It's on my iPhone, the quality isn't fantastic since it was taken through a perspex cover but I'll try post it. It doesn't let me select choose image

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
It's on my iPhone, the quality isn't fantastic since it was taken through a perspex cover but I'll try post it. It doesn't let me select choose image
I think you can post picture attachments if you have the RailUK app.

alanf

That looks really smart. Why don't they paint them all that colour and send them down there. We could do you a swap even the old 313s would suffice. PS does anyone have any spare cable?

Alan

Burkitt

Is that even a class 142? It doesn't look much like one, especially with the huge headlight on the roof.

sprinterguy

Established Member
deffinately a 142,the roof things where the horns are,i think.;)
The horn on a 142 is below solebar level, near the coupler.

That doesn't resemble a 142 to me much, not even a "mock up" of one, given that even at quite an early stage, BRs' concept drawing of a 142 looked like this: http://www.therailwaycentre.com/Artists impressions/142_Early.jpg

And of course, a more basic "mock up" of a Pacer would be simply a Leyland National Bus on a wagon chassis. Which is basically what the single carriage prototypes were.
http://www.traintesting.com/images/lev1.jpg

sprinterguy

Established Member
I hope that destination board was just a random name plucked out of the artist's head and not an actual planned service to be run by the things.
Pacers were touted as a possible design for use on rural routes in Scotland, but Scotrail were having none if it. Running Pacers up to Oban on the West Highland wouldn't be that much different to routes like the Hope Valley and Tyne Valley that they do run in England, but I am thankful that Scotrail put their foot down so firmly against Pacers.

shedman

Sorry there is another picture of the side too, I'll resend it. The picture looks to be taken in a works somewhere but that's all I know.

driver9000

Established Member
I don't think it is a UK vehicle, certainly not a 142 or any other Pacer. It appears to have a roof light more akin to the US or Europe. It also seems to be narrow gauge looking at how wide the body is compared to the wheels along with a knuckle coupler.

Any idea where the photo was taken?

DesiroDom

I don't think it is a UK vehicle, certainly not a 142 or any other Pacer. It appears to have a roof light more akin to the US or Europe. It also seems to be narrow gauge looking at how wide the body is compared to the wheels along with a knuckle coupler.

Any idea where the photo was taken?

Nah deffenitely a Pacer mate I should know I hate the damn things lol :lol:

scotsman

Established Member
Pacers were touted as a possible design for use on rural routes in Scotland, but Scotrail were having none if it. Running Pacers up to Oban on the West Highland wouldn't be that much different to routes like the Hope Valley and Tyne Valley that they do run in England, but I am thankful that Scotrail put their foot down so firmly against Pacers.

Not really that similar...164 miles journey, 4+ hours running time, high volume of passengers with luggage. Almost everything the Tyne and Hope Valleys don't have

DesiroDom

I have a picture on my phone of what appears to be a mock up of a class 142 painted in NSE livery. I got the picture from a display that A1 propaint have recently put up displaying their handy work over the past probably 15 years or so. I don't know how to post pictures on here from my phone otherwise I'd attach it. So I was wondering what is the history behind this and why was it painted in NSE livery?

NSE Never actually wanted the pacers and this was just one of many ideas of what to do with the pacers.

sprinterguy

Established Member
NSE Never actually wanted the pacers and this was just one of many ideas of what to do with the pacers.
I don't think (someone will correct me if I'm wrong) that there was ever an idea to put Pacers in the Network South East area. And it has been largely debunked that what we're looking at here is a Pacer mock-up.

Last edited:

HSTEd

Veteran Member
I don't think (someone will correct me if I'm wrong) that there was ever an idea to put Pacers in the Network South East area. And it has been largely debunked that what we're looking at here is a Pacer mock-up.

Where would they even go?

Even the few diesel routes in the South East seem to justify 6 carriage or longer trains (Hastings and so on).

About the only place I can think of is bits of the Chiltern area.

Status
Not open for further replies.