• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 156 Largs services

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
If only the ice cream shop was open in Largs!

This must be a rare event? I know the line fairly well as my mum lives up that way. I have only ever seen ECS diesel units along there.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I am unsure if they still do but until recently Ayr used to work to Carlisle as well. Off the top of my head it was a back shift from around 4pm until midnight which consisted of something down the lines of Ayr - Glasgow 380, Glasgow - Dumfries, break, Dumfries - Carlisle - Glasgow, break, last Largs service then empty to Ayr

A good turn for keeping up the route knowledge! That's quite the varied trip.

I am unsure if they still do but until recently Ayr used to work to Carlisle as well. Off the top of my head it was a back shift from around 4pm until midnight which consisted of something down the lines of Ayr - Glasgow 380, Glasgow - Dumfries, break, Dumfries - Carlisle - Glasgow, break, last Largs service then empty to Ayr

Ayr drivers and Guards sign all the diesel routes out of Glasgow that still operate 156 ie; GLC to Carlisle via Kilmarnock and Dumfries, East Kilbride, Stranraer and the branch between Kilmarnock and Ayr. Stranraer drivers and Guards sign Stranraer to Glasgow via Kilmarnock. Ayr Guards sign the Largs route and are diagrammed a route retention run to Largs as part of one of their jobs. They also still sign Ayr to Glasgow via Kilwinning.

Substitution of 380s for 156s on the Largs route has always been part of the contingency plan during severe weather but rarely happens due to there not being a 156 available. Due to the substantially reduced service at the moment it was possible last weekend.

Corkerhill drivers only sign to Kilmarnock now along with link 2 Central guys on 156 work. They used to do Carlisle a good few years ago now.

route101

Established Member
Ayr drivers and Guards sign all the diesel routes out of Glasgow that still operate 156 ie; GLC to Carlisle via Kilmarnock and Dumfries, East Kilbride, Stranraer and the branch between Kilmarnock and Ayr. Stranraer drivers and Guards sign Stranraer to Glasgow via Kilmarnock. Ayr Guards sign the Largs route and are diagrammed a route retention run to Largs as part of one of their jobs. They also still sign Ayr to Glasgow via Kilwinning.

Substitution of 380s for 156s on the Largs route has always been part of the contingency plan during severe weather but rarely happens due to there not being a 156 available. Due to the substantially reduced service at the moment it was possible last weekend.

Corkerhill drivers only sign to Kilmarnock now along with link 2 Central guys on 156 work. They used to do Carlisle a good few years ago now.

Rarely happens ,has the 156 operated to Largs before.

Thats news to me Ayr works EK services , i take ot its just a few?

Rarely happens ,has the 156 operated to Largs before.

Thats news to me Ayr works EK services , i take ot its just a few?

Aye, 156s have operated to Largs before, but not for a few years now, almost 10 years maybe? Before I started at Ayr anyway.

Ayr have worked EK for years and also worked Paisley Canal services before it was electrified in 2012. We have quite a few EKs in our jobs - one job even has 3 back to back on the backshift!

route101

Established Member
Aye, 156s have operated to Largs before, but not for a few years now, almost 10 years maybe? Before I started at Ayr anyway.

Ayr have worked EK for years and also worked Paisley Canal services before it was electrified in 2012. We have quite a few EKs in our jobs - one job even has 3 back to back on the backshift!

Interesting , thought it was all Corkerhill on EK

Scotrail314209

Established Member

Is the route retention riding along with a driver or actually conducting guard duties on the route itself?

craigybagel

Established Member

Brilliant, I was hoping you'd be along with the definitive answer.

Is the route retention riding along with a driver or actually conducting guard duties on the route itself?

They just have to travel pass on the route there and back and make sure nothing has changed ie; new signals etc.

They can't do Conductor duties as a) it's a DOO service and b) they don't sign 380s.

Unstoppable

On Moderation
Does anyone know what the Stranraer shifts for drivers comprises of on paper? It's one of those remote depots you hear very little about

Status
Not open for further replies.