• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 165 on service to Great Malvern

Mattuk

After seeing the 1W51 1650 London Paddington to Great Malvern train got subbed for an 165 3 car on real time trains (Link here), I got spooked and decided to take an 387 to Didcot and change there (I am heading to Oxford).

How on earth do they think it is acceptable to sub a 80X for an 165? To Oxford I understand but Great Malvern?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LowLevel

Established Member
After seeing the 1W51 1650 London Paddington to Great Malvern train got subbed for an 165 3 car on real time trains (Link here), I got spooked and decided to take an 387 to Didcot and change there (I am heading to Oxford).

How on earth do they think it is acceptable to sub a 80X for an 165? To Oxford I understand but Great Malvern?
They or the very similar 166s ran there regularly for many years on London services. Better than no train :lol:

hexagon789

Veteran Member

They were standard traction for many years, even all the way from London.

Established Member
They or the very similar 166s ran there regularly for many years on London services. Better than no train :lol:
I'm really not disagreeing, just to be clear on that. But let's just run everything as 150s then, as it's better than no train.

(Oh wait... forgot about TfW :D)

newtownmgr

We had them for years on the London’s. Regardless of what it is, a least it’s not cancelled.

Arewethereyet?

According to Real Time Trains a 165 made it to Worcester a few weeks ago so the fear was it would be Great Malvern next. When used regularly they were to be avoided at all costs including driving to Birmingham International. The Cotswold line has embarked on its own steady spiral of decline with regular cancellations and late running trains turned back at Worcester and abandoning Malvern and Hereford travellers.

Mattuk

Do you know about the proportion of HST vs 165/166 back over the years? I am curious about it.

I agree that subbed train is better than no train, but it will be an awful experience especially for infrequent travellers. At least people might get compensation at the 15 minutes tier because 125 mph vs 90 mph provided they know how to claim

paul1609

Established Member
Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff is 10 miles further than London to Great Malvern services. All IETs should be taken off these branch lines services and sent to the Pompey Cardiff Line. Paddington can suffer the 2 car 165s that are apparently the best that GWR can offer Pompey.

Mattuk

Do you know about the proportion of HST vs 165/166 back over the years? I am curious about it.

I agree that subbed train is better than no train, but it will be an awful experience especially for infrequent travellers. At least people might get compensation at the 15 minutes tier because 125 mph vs 90 mph provided they know how to claim
Looks like I am getting delay repay too as my 387 got so delayed I had to change at Reading for a XC 221 as I won’t make the connection at Didcot. Still no sight of the 165 which is supposed to depart RDG 1 min after the 221.

Arewethereyet?

The 165 set has already made one trip to Great Malvern (10.50 ex Paddington - 17 mins late arrival) and 13.58 return (only 6 mins late arrival). It's to be hoped there was separate catering staff for both first and standard class! Happy days.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
It was about 50/50 on the Costwold line services before the IETs. The 2012 timetable shows 17 trains from London, 9 were Turbos, 8 were HSTs.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I'm going to be controversial here and say that had I been a booked passenger on either of those rides to Great Malvern or indeed Exeter I would have thought that my birthday in Christmas which are only seven or so weeks apart had come early, for me personally a turbo no matter how cozy and inferior some may find it would for me be like having a first-class ticket on the Orient Express compared to an IET which I hate with an extreme passion and go out of my way to avoid, although granted this is becoming ever more complicated

irish_rail

Established Member
I'm going to be controversial here and say that had I been a booked passenger on either of those rides to Great Malvern or indeed Exeter I would have thought that my birthday in Christmas which are only seven or so weeks apart had come early, for me personally a turbo no matter how cozy and inferior some may find it would for me be like having a first-class ticket on the Orient Express compared to an IET which I hate with an extreme passion and go out of my way to avoid, although granted this is becoming ever more complicated
Agree. Turbo Exeter to London, I'm just a tiny bit jealous of whoever got to drive that!

bramling

Veteran Member

Have to say from an ambience point of view it wouldn’t bother me at all. The short length might though, especially if just a 2 or 3 car.

AdamWW

Established Member
Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff is 10 miles further than London to Great Malvern services. All IETs should be taken off these branch lines services and sent to the Pompey Cardiff Line. Paddington can suffer the 2 car 165s that are apparently the best that GWR can offer Pompey.

I really think Portsmouth to Cardiff should have something better but I suspect that not that many passengers use it for the full journey, unlike long distance services out of London.

The exile

Established Member
I really think Portsmouth to Cardiff should have something better but I suspect that not that many passengers use it for the full journey, unlike long distance services out of London.
What proportion of the passengers are doing Paddington - Great Malvern, though?
As a regular user of both types of traction, the only reasons the IET would get my vote are that it’s less likely to be full and standing and can exploit full line speed over the entire route. Other than that, not much in it (which is a pretty damning verdict on the ambience of IETs).

I thought there’d be more iets available since it’s the weekend?

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
We had them for years on the London’s. Regardless of what it is, a least it’s not cancelled.
I'm really not disagreeing, just to be clear on that. But let's just run everything as 150s then, as it's better than no train.

(Oh wait... forgot about TfW :D)
I famously hate the “Would you prefer that or no train at all?” comments and always call them out as and when they pop up. Primarily because we’ve reached a new low if our services - for which tickets cost an absolute fortune anyway - get a massive downgrade to capacity and facilities (and potentially comfort but that is always subjective!) and we’re told we should be grateful it’s running at all.

And here’s a pair of 166s at Paddington. It ran Exeter-Paddington-Exeter vice an IET.
View attachment 154366
Just gonna put it out there, while a lot of people seem to think this is far worse I will just add that Paddington Great Malvern is actually upto half an hour longer than Paddington Exeter typically is, and at least 166s have little tables. There’s also usually less time to wait for the next Western IET as well.

RailWonderer

Established Member
It was about 50/50 on the Costwold line services before the IETs. The 2012 timetable shows 17 trains from London, 9 were Turbos, 8 were HSTs.
Some diagrams were also 180s.
Just gonna put it out there, while a lot of people seem to think this is far worse I will just add that Paddington Great Malvern is actually upto half an hour longer than Paddington Exeter typically is, and at least 166s have little tables. There’s also usually less time to wait for the next Western IET as well.
People forget Oxford - Malvern is a very slow trundle along mostly single track railway. It's a glorified branch line in effect.

Last edited:

Doctor Fegg

Established Member
In Thames Trains days, everything on the Cotswold Line was a Turbo (165/166) apart from two return journeys operated by Great Western with HSTs.

In the morning, the first GW HST arrived at Paddington around 08.30, another (the Cathedrals Express) 09.40. In the evening, they left Paddington 17.10 and (Cathedrals Express) 18.30. (There was nominally one off-peak GW service, but this was subbed out to Thames Trains to operate with a Turbo, I think from 2000 or so onwards.)

When FGW took over the Thames area (first as FGW Link, then in the expanded Greater Western franchise) most Turbos were replaced by Adelantes (180s). In due course FGW relinquished the Adelantes, with HSTs and some Turbos replacing them on Cotswold duties - though the balance tipped in favour of Turbos after a few years.

Move on a few years and FGW got five Adelantes back, which meant most Cotswold services could be covered by Intercity-standard stock. Not all, though - there were still a handful of Turbo duties, including the odd Moreton-in-Marsh terminator, and one horrible Sunday working from Paddington to Hereford and back. Turbos still made regular appearances when the Adelantes had self-combusted or HSTs were required elsewhere on the network.

Now, of course, the line is all-IET apart from the daily up/down "Halts" train that stops at the tiny Oxfordshire stations. It's rare to see a Turbo depping for an IET, but not unheard of.

People forget Oxford - Malvern is a very slow trundle along mostly single track railway. It's a glorified branch line in effect.
Nope. It's only single track from Wolvercot to Charlbury and from Pershore to Norton Junction, certainly not "mostly". Numerous sections have 90mph-100mph linespeed.

RailWonderer

Established Member
Nope. It's only single track from Wolvercot to Charlbury and from Pershore to Norton Junction, certainly not "mostly". Numerous sections have 90mph-100mph linespeed.
It's Wolvercot all the way to Ascott then Moreton - Worcestershire Parkway single track, with the stations acting as passing loops. Some sections might be 90-100mph but a lot of it is substantially slower than 125mph Reading - Exeter.

LowLevel

Established Member
I famously hate the “Would you prefer that or no train at all?” comments and always call them out as and when they pop up. Primarily because we’ve reached a new low if our services - for which tickets cost an absolute fortune anyway - get a massive downgrade to capacity and facilities (and potentially comfort but that is always subjective!) and we’re told we should be grateful it’s running at all.

It's not a new development though. Lower quality stock replacing high quality (on paper) as an emergency stand in has always been a thing. It's a reality in all things in life that stuff on occasion goes wrong and every now and then the alternative to "Cancelled" will be something you'd really rather wasn't used.

Better than no train is a simple statement of fact, rather than a declaration that the customer should perhaps somehow be grateful for the appearance of said Turbo trundling along :lol: It isn't a regular occurrence (at least, not for the last few years!).

Kite159

Veteran Member
It's Wolvercot all the way to Ascott then Moreton - Worcestershire Parkway single track, with the stations acting as passing loops. Some sections might be 90-100mph but a lot of it is substantially slower than 125mph Reading - Exeter.
That must be a phantom second platform at Charlbury then.

newtownmgr

Keep up. It’s single from Wolvercot to just short of Charlbury then double track through to the Worcester side of Evesham, then single again to Norton Jc. Redoubling was done in 2011.

So im guessing you would prefer the train to just be cancelled & either wait for the next one, which may also be short formed or just prefer a bus instead.
Unfortunately due to the policies of this government (DfT) GWR are short of stock at present.

RailWonderer

Established Member
Keep up. It’s single from Wolvercot to just short of Charlbury then double track through to the Worcester side of Evesham, then single again to Norton Jc. Redoubling was done in 2011.
Ah, that's why...
You need a new rail atlas.
Been looking at old satelites. Never mind, but the point is the route is slower and windier unlike Reading - Exeter hence the quicker journeys on that route.

mrcheek

Established Member
absolute disgrace! if the right train isnt available, they should cancel the service and leave everyone stranded rather than trying to do their best!
Just like they should cancel services that are full and standing if they cant operate the drinks trolley....

AJDesiro

Ah, that's why...

Been looking at old satelites. Never mind, but the point is the route is slower and windier unlike Reading - Exeter hence the quicker journeys on that route.
I recommend the national electronic sectional appendix for one of the most accurate references, an incredibly useful tool once you figure out how to use them.