• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 170's on the GEML.

Status
Not open for further replies.

david_VI

Just a curiousity.

I recall there being a Lowestoft to Liverpool Street service using a Class 170 but can't find it on any timetables. Does GA still provide this service or did it end with a previous franchise?

I could swear Class 170's still go through Colchester now and then.. but if so what timetable is this ?

Cheers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

oliMw

NXEA (previous franchisee) stopped the sevices from Lowestoft/Peterborough in favour of connections from local services onto intercity services. GA operate a morning and evening service from Colchester to Peterborough and from Lowestoft to Harwich International, these are the only class 170 services which operate on the GEML today :D

update: a daily service from Harwich International to Cambridge

Last edited:

david_VI

Thanks all.

So no 170's run west out of Colchester towards london?

NXEA (previous franchisee) stopped the sevices from Lowestoft/Peterborough in favour of connections from local services onto intercity services. GA operate a morning and evening service from Colchester to Peterborough and from Lowestoft to Harwich International, these are the only class 170 services which operate on the GEML today :D

Does this run every day? I can't find it on Opentraintimes.

Cheers

Last edited:

oliMw

Last edited:

david_VI

"Runs SSuX between 10/12/2012 to 06/12/2013"

Thats why I couldn't find it first time! Although Opentraintimes doesn't seem to find it even if I search by headcode.. Unless I go back to July. But it is there if I go to Peterborough at the time it arrives.. (I just prefer Opentraintimes to look at easily).

Peculiar!
So it's stabled at Colchester? I've never noticed! I guess that's because its only there really late.. Then it becomes the Peterborough to Ipswich until the end of the day where it goes back to Colchester from Peterborough.
I don't know why this is so interesting!

It seems an odd train. Only two trains one really early and one quite late from Colchester to Peterborough.. whats the purpose of this? Is it because it has to be stabled at Colchester for some reason?

MK Tom

Established Member
When I visited Chelmsford in 2010 a 156 came through and stopped but I forget where it was going. Does anyone know what working that was or if it still runs?

Attachments

• P1011192.jpg
    P1011192.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 55

oliMw

It may have been doing the Liverpool St to Lowestoft (very very very rare) or possibly wheel turning at Ilford, but truth be told I am not to sure, there is a somewhere of 156412 at Liverpool st, but I have never heard of 156407 making it down there. The Lowestoft to Liverpool St services no longer operate, but tyre turning trips still happen

It may have been doing the Liverpool St to Lowestoft (very very very rare) or possibly wheel turning at Ilford, but truth be told I am not to sure, there is a somewhere of 156412 at Liverpool st, but I have never heard of 156407 making it down there. The Lowestoft to Liverpool St services no longer operate, but tyre turning trips still happen

You may mean 156402 as that made it to London on Good Friday 2005, which I accidently dropped onto on its return. Other than that I know of no other 156's to Liv St.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
stopping through-running to Liverpool Street allowed, amongst other things, Ipswich-Cambridge to go to mainly two-car 170s (from 156s and 153s), Norwich - Cambridge to go to three car 170s all day and other train length (and I think frequency?) upgrades. Also meant not having three car DMUs taking up paths in/out of Liverpool Street better utilised by 4-12 car EMUs/8 & 9 car LCHS trains.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
This seems the right place to ask this but I was wondering around the end of 2008 or the beginning of 2009 would it have been possible to travel from Colchester to Peterborough on one train specifically a 170 on a weekday evening? If so what happened to that service as it appears to have vanished from the timetable these days!

Established Member
stopping through-running to Liverpool Street allowed, amongst other things, Ipswich-Cambridge to go to mainly two-car 170s (from 156s and 153s), Norwich - Cambridge to go to three car 170s all day and other train length (and I think frequency?) upgrades. Also meant not having three car DMUs taking up paths in/out of Liverpool Street better utilised by 4-12 car EMUs/8 & 9 car LCHS trains.

Yes lots of improvements. The through Harwich service was also cut back to a Manningtree - Harwich service as that could only run as a 4 car and was overcrowded at some times of the day between Colchester and London. The 21.00 Liverpool St to Lowestoft in particular was a train to avoid too - 3 car 170 and hopelessly overcrowded. Now a proper 90/DVT set to Norwich with a connection for Lowestoft at Ipswich.

The Olympics was the perfect reason to remove these short trains from the London end of the route. Re-writing the timetable for December 2010 gave 18 months of practice of the new timetable before the Games. Running EMUs to Ipswich, Clacton, Colchester and Braintree means that trains can be 4, 8 or 12 cars as appropriate, without having to alter the public timetable. Very handy for events like the V festival at Chelmsford.

When the through 170 timetable was introduced it would have resulted in a big reduction of drivers diagrams at Colchester, and too many diagrams at Ipswich. Colchester drivers did not sign 170s then. Rather than face the huge cost of having to re-locate drivers (not many of whom would have wanted to move anyway) it was decided to teach a small number of Colchester drivers class 170s and the route to Peterborough. Like this the number of diagrams at each depot remained similar.

Today's service is a legacy of that decision as Colchester drivers still sign 170s and work the Peterborough trains that run through to Colchester (The 19.45 from Peterborough also runs to Colchester), while some Ipswich drivers now sign 321s. It all gives greater flexibility.

Hope that lot explains a bit of the history.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.