• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 180's to.....Northern?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pemma

Veteran Member
No, there are two daily Mon-Fri diagrams. I think its to do with GMPTE funding for the strengthened services

Yes a peak Hazel Grove-Preston and Manchester Victoria-Blackpool service in both the morning and evening is GMPTE funded Mon-Fri. The Hazel Grove 180 only does one Preston-Hazel Grove working that isn't sponsored by GMPTE. The Manchester Victoria-Blackpool 180 says in operation throughout the day Mon-Fri.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

poshbakerloo

Yes a peak Hazel Grove-Preston and Manchester Victoria-Blackpool service in both the morning and evening is GMPTE funded Mon-Fri. The Hazel Grove 180 only does one Preston-Hazel Grove working that isn't sponsored by GMPTE. The Manchester Victoria-Blackpool 180 says in operation throughout the day Mon-Fri.

I always find it funny seeing a 180 running that route! They have 142s, 150s and 153s etc running similar routes then they suddenly get a 125Mph Express DMU running that haha well I guess it would be unfair if all their trains was crap!

Aictos

Established Member
The 180s certainly can deafen you, heard 109 head south though Stevenage on 1A94 - wow, talk about horns!

Nc45

I always find it funny seeing a 180 running that route! They have 142s, 150s and 153s etc running similar routes then they suddenly get a 125Mph Express DMU running that haha well I guess it would be unfair if all their trains was crap!

Hence me googling and finding this thread. Was amazed when a 180 appeared (as were a few other passengers) instead of a pathetic 142 or the more usual 150, 153 or 156. I don't see the point of putting a 180 on the 09.30 Hazel grove to preston service when the capacity is much more in demand on the 0727, 0732 or the 0753. But if those are the cards northern are dealt they can't do anything different. Shame more of these vehicles aren't available. Although the 180 that came along seemed poorly maintained, the front car engine made a terrible loud high pitched squealing noise that had a group of orange suited trackside crew turning their heads at it in disgust as it passed. Would prefer it if the brilliant 323s made a comeback, anything but the bouncy 142s and their crap throbbing engines :(

junglejames

Established Member
No, it has a name - a class47.........just like it is a class 66, or class 67 not a shed or a skip....

Thank god for sensible people!!
Sorry only just come across this thread!!
The majority of nicknames have been made up by haters of the class. Just look at them. Unfortunately some nicknames come back to haunt some haters. ie the 90s.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Think you've mis-read- they've got six HST power cars, making for three sets.

As for EC obtaining GC's HSTs, surely there's an issue there with the GC HSTs being owned by GC's sister company, not by one of the big ROSCOs?

I would guess though that were such a deal to go through, the GC sets would be "Mallardised" to the same configuration as the existing EC HST fleet? Would require some more carriages, but I'd assume they would want to try and avoid a sub-fleet if at all possible? Having a uniform fleet (of 180s) would certainly offer operational benifits to GC.

No i think GC have sold thier stock to a ROSCO

jopsuk

Veteran Member
At the time I wrote that, Sovereign still owned the GC sets. They were sold to Angel in March. Be careful when trying to be pedantic- in a forum, especially on a dug-up thread, information may not be current.

Angle own most of FGW's fleet, and Porterbrook own EMT's fleet- is it one of those that own EC's fleet or is it Eversholt (ex HSBC)?

driver9000

Established Member
Hence me googling and finding this thread. Was amazed when a 180 appeared (as were a few other passengers) instead of a pathetic 142 or the more usual 150, 153 or 156. I don't see the point of putting a 180 on the 09.30 Hazel grove to preston service when the capacity is much more in demand on the 0727, 0732 or the 0753. But if those are the cards northern are dealt they can't do anything different. Shame more of these vehicles aren't available. Although the 180 that came along seemed poorly maintained, the front car engine made a terrible loud high pitched squealing noise that had a group of orange suited trackside crew turning their heads at it in disgust as it passed. Would prefer it if the brilliant 323s made a comeback, anything but the bouncy 142s and their crap throbbing engines :(

The 09:30 from Hazel Grove is the return working off the 06:53 Blackpool North-Hazel Grove service which does require a 180 as it is a busy service.

tom1649

Is the Hazel Grove service going to return to electric operation eventually? Seems a bit of a waste of electrification. Is there still one 323 service a day to keep the wires in working order?

tbtc

Veteran Member
Is the Hazel Grove service going to return to electric operation eventually? Seems a bit of a waste of electrification. Is there still one 323 service a day to keep the wires in working order?

In hindsight it was a waste, especially when there are other lines which could have been done around Manchester.

At best, Stockport - Hazel Grove could be used my 25% EMUs (since DMUs will be needed to run the Sheffield/ Buxton services which pass this way.

bluenoxid

Established Member
Won't it get more EMU's because the whole route to Preston will be electrified from 2016?

Hazel Grove was electrified in 1981. Whilst it is now not being extensively used, it has a lot of potential.

tbtc

Veteran Member
Won't it get more EMU's because the whole route to Preston will be electrified from 2016?

Hazel Grove was electrified in 1981. Whilst it is now not being extensively used, it has a lot of potential.

When the Hazel Grove - Preston service becomes EMU run, that'll still be only 25% of trains on the line:

Manchester Airport - Cleethorpes will still be DMU
Manchester - Buxton will still be DMU
Liverpool - Norwich will still be DMU

I wonder whether the Buxton branch has been considered as a potential for electrification, it'd save two or three units...

Arriva158

Ah I see! Lucky them!

A service you want to see then is the 0731 + 0831 ATW services off Shrewsbury heading for Birmingham New St, 4 cars and still ridiculous, so you take a 175 off us and we'll take that 180 <D

pemma

Veteran Member

There aren't enough EMUs to run an electric Hazel Grove-Manchester service all day. The EMUs that were used on that service are now used to run the extra Manchester Airport to Manchester stopper (so that TPE can run more services Man Airport to Manchester non-stop) and for the Stoke extension of the Manchester-Macclesfield service. Even some Alderley Edge/Crewe/Aiport to Manchester services are 142s due to a lack of EMUs, with the 142 diagrammed services timetabled to take a few minutes longer due to slower acceleration and lower top speed.

Hazel Grove-Preston can be an EMU service after North West electrification but it will obviously need more units.

Nc45

I doubt there's a business case for electrifying the Buxton line - during the middle of the day there's only one service an hour and now the Blackpool North - Buxton timetable has been split up into Blackpool North to Manchester Victoria and Manchester Piccadilly to Buxton, there's not many through trains to Blackpool North any more, so it wouldn't cause many diesels to run under wires to Blackpool North. I'd rather the money were spent on adding the extra bit of track at Ordsall (Salford) so trains from South Manchester running through Man Picc/Oxford Road/Deansgate can run on, up and round to Salford Central, Victoria and onwards to the north east (set out in the Manchester Hub study http://goo.gl/ggvuN. I wonder if that'll ever be implemented).

Status
Not open for further replies.