• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 180's to.....Northern?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ukrob

Established Member
is it just me, or would be it be much more sensible to send the 180s to TPE for use on Liverpool-Newcastle services? Or if not, the York-Leeds-Bradford-Halifax-Preston-Blackpool services rather than just shuttling between Manchester and Blackpool?

But they are with Northern because Northern needed stock, so your suggestion wouldn't be much good ;)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ashworth

Established Member
I visited Blackpool last Saturday and noticed that there were two 180's stabled there all day. Are they not used on Saturdays?
Does seem a waste when there are other services running in the area that are very overcrowded. I am sure that EMT could use them on busy summer Saturdays for Liverpool-Norwich services.

ukrob

Established Member
I visited Blackpool last Saturday and noticed that there were two 180's stabled there all day. Are they not used on Saturdays?
Does seem a waste when there are other services running in the area that are very overcrowded. I am sure that EMT could use them on busy summer Saturdays for Liverpool-Norwich services.

No, not used at weekends.

It is not very efficient to train a pool of EMT drivers on traction which is not even cleared for the route you suggest just for two days a week.

ashworth

Established Member
I see your point but neither is it very efficient to have valuable suitable for long distance, fairly modern, 5 car trains standing idle when trains are running around the network grossly overcrowded.

ukrob

Established Member
I see your point but neither is it very efficient to have valuable suitable for long distance, fairly modern, 5 car trains standing idle when trains are running around the network grossly overcrowded.

Actually it IS efficient, that is why they are sitting around doing nothing ;)

I totaly agree in principle though that it would be good if they were used, but using a business head you can see that its not practical :).

barca1999

I heard 54906 is due its engine change and 55906 a hvac unit this week and should be back out in traffic end of week. :)

OMGitsDAVE

Despite many of you saying Grand Central wouldn't get these - they're now in testing and I have seen one myself here in Hartlepool. They are expected to start services in August - creating the "4th path" from Sunderland to London weekdays & Saturdays.

Bayum

Established Member
Despite many of you saying Grand Central wouldn't get these - they're now in testing and I have seen one myself here in Hartlepool. They are expected to start services in August - creating the "4th path" from Sunderland to London weekdays & Saturdays.

I saw one at Darlington a few weeks ago!

RobShipway

Established Member
I have read somewhere, I think it was in Rail magazine that potentially the Class 180 trains could end up with the Independent Comapnies such as Grand Central?

MCR247

Established Member
I have read somewhere, I think it was in Rail magazine that potentially the Class 180 trains could end up with the Independent Comapnies such as Grand Central?

Grand Central already have 3 or 4

Drsatan

Established Member
Looked on Wikipedia and GC have 5 180s (referred to as Zephyrs) and 6 HST sets. I'm not sure how long the 180s will last for since the DfT isn't happy with their use on the ECML for some reason.

DjU

Looked on Wikipedia and GC have 5 180s (referred to as Zephyrs) and 6 HST sets. I'm not sure how long the 180s will last for since the DfT isn't happy with their use on the ECML for some reason.

GC only have 3 HST sets (its 6 power cars they have)

ffcphone

I understand the 180s can be seen stabled at Blackpool over the weekend.

However, yesterday (Saturday) I caught a mid-evening Northern service from Manchester Oxford Road to Southport. Somewhere between Salford Crescent and Bolton I'm reasonably certain a train passed us going towards Manchester and I counted 5 engine noise peaks as we passed. If my ears and counting abilities haven't failed this could only have been a 180?

On a secondary comment the 180 I tend to see every morning whilst i wait for my train seems to have engine reliability issues finally resolved. All 5 in use.

ukrob

Established Member
It is possible it was going to ECS to Newton Heath, or it could have been a double Class 185 (with any combination of between four and six engines running) going to Preston then further north.

Lampshade

Established Member

Hmm, I believe the DfT isn't happy with East Coast using them which is why there are rumours flying round of a swap for GC's HSTs for the EC 180s. I don't think it's anything to do with them not being happy with their use on the whole ECML.

driver9000

Established Member
I understand the 180s can be seen stabled at Blackpool over the weekend.

However, yesterday (Saturday) I caught a mid-evening Northern service from Manchester Oxford Road to Southport. Somewhere between Salford Crescent and Bolton I'm reasonably certain a train passed us going towards Manchester and I counted 5 engine noise peaks as we passed. If my ears and counting abilities haven't failed this could only have been a 180?

On a secondary comment the 180 I tend to see every morning whilst i wait for my train seems to have engine reliability issues finally resolved. All 5 in use.

Yes they are stabled at Blackpool North LMD over the weekend.

I doubt you heard a 180 running in a special path on Saturday, there is a booked return ECS path from Newton Heath-Blackpool North on a Sunday afternoon to swap the set coming off maintenace for the one booked to go onto maintenance that week. Although it rarely runs.

They have been running with 5 engines for the last month or so, spares are getting easier to obtain now and there is a float at NH the only one that tends to run with 4 engines now is 180106 which has a recurring fault on one of the driving cars.

ffcphone

I concede my functions may have been playing up!

Good news Northern have got 2 of the 180s in full mechanical order.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Looked on Wikipedia and GC have 5 180s (referred to as Zephyrs) and 6 HST sets.

Think you've mis-read- they've got six HST power cars, making for three sets.

As for EC obtaining GC's HSTs, surely there's an issue there with the GC HSTs being owned by GC's sister company, not by one of the big ROSCOs?

I would guess though that were such a deal to go through, the GC sets would be "Mallardised" to the same configuration as the existing EC HST fleet? Would require some more carriages, but I'd assume they would want to try and avoid a sub-fleet if at all possible? Having a uniform fleet (of 180s) would certainly offer operational benifits to GC.

ukrob

Established Member
No, but judging by the way the answer is wrote, it seems he knows what he is talking about on this matter. It could have been a 185, I did not say it couldn't have been, just merely pointing out the post.

As do I.

I feel you are missing the point I was making. Never mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.