• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 185 refurbishment for TPE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanNCL

Established Member
185112 has the new info screens, however the announcements (Newcastle route) still use the old female voice.

Is the new male voice being rolled out on all routes, or just the Hull/Leeds - Manchester semi fasts?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Chester1

Established Member
Is there any obvious reason why First did not take the refurbishment as an opportunity to move first class to the front of coach A? The use of the coach C compartment by people going to and from the toilet is probably the biggest complaint about their first class offering and could have been resolved by moving seats and the partitions.

xotGD

Established Member
It's First, they just did the least they could.
There are plenty of things to complain about with TPE at the moment, but the quality of the 185 refurb isn't one of them. They've done an excellent job, plus in my experience the reliability of the new wifi is second to none.

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
They (the previous incarnation of FTPE) only got it right on the station announcements at Huddersfield after people complained!
You would have thought that it would have been carried on over to this franchise.... No of course not, too much common sense in that, despite it essentially being allot of the same people from the previous franchise (on the ground at least, I am aware of the wholesale change they had in their management)
Sam

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Does Atos Anne pronounce Slawit correctly?

Would sound a bit odd, a bit like the old BR "posh headmistress" autoannouncer you got at North West InterCity stations who had an extremely posh and authoritative tone but with Northern style short vowels - sounded quite odd.

Ih8earlies

I'm riding on 185133.

Managed to get some pics of all of the new info screens. I also took some pics to highlight a couple of places where you can't see them at all (in coaches A and B) without getting up and moving down the carriage.

Attachments

• Coach C01.jpg
    Coach C01.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 190
  • Coach C02.jpg
    Coach C02.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 177
  • Coach C03.jpg
    Coach C03.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 173
  • Coach B01.jpg
    Coach B01.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 165
  • Coach B02.jpg
    Coach B02.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 157
  • Coach B03.jpg
    Coach B03.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 155
  • Coach A01.jpg
    Coach A01.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 155
  • Coach A02.jpg
    Coach A02.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 155
  • Coach A03.jpg
    Coach A03.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 166

Philip

On Moderation
Are there any/many units still with the old corporate FirstGroup interior still around? Been a while since I've seen one.

I've been on '104 and '107 within the last 6 weeks and they were both still in the original decor at the time. Also remember seeing '114 about 6 weeks ago and was still in the original.

Boothby97

Established Member
Are there any/many units still with the old corporate FirstGroup interior still around? Been a while since I've seen one.

I contacted TPE via Twitter last week to ask them which units had yet to be refurbished.

According to them 185102, 185105, 185106, 185107, 185109, 185110 and 185130 had yet to be done, with 185104 and 185111 in for refurbishment.

Ih8earlies

108 now has both the new info screens AND the new Galley area in first class.

Is this the first unit to have both?

When approaching Durham why do we still get the announcement about retaining our tickets for the automatic ticket gates? There are no gates, they were removed last year.

Most likely has simply not been updated to reflect this.
Sam
But why hasn't it been updated? Either they haven't realised the gates have gone or they just don't care. Either way it gives the impression that the railway doesn't know what it's doing.

transmanche

Established Member
But why hasn't it been updated? Either they haven't realised the gates have gone or they just don't care. Either way it gives the impression that the railway doesn't know what it's doing.
Probably because, as in many businesses, responsibility for such things is not specifically one person's job. My guess would be that a project team was responsible for creating the messages during the initial introduction of the units. And that other project teams are/were responsible for major changes (e.g. a change of franchise name, etc).

But no-one has responsibility for what you might call the 'day-to-day maintenance' of messages. It's not railway-specific, you see this kind of thing all the time in all sorts of businesses.

55z

Easy as to why they didn't move first class in a 185 as it would then block the wheelchair space which is located near the toilet.
As far as pronouncing places SLAITHWAITE should be pronounce just that and not in slang as Slawit which it isn't so they are correctlt announced on trains but not on stations as the Scottish company cannot be bothered to correct as I have complained many times. as for there performance figures they are awful an average of 10 trains per day cancelled or part cancelled.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Easy as to why they didn't move first class in a 185 as it would then block the wheelchair space which is located near the toilet.
As far as pronouncing places SLAITHWAITE should be pronounce just that and not in slang as Slawit which it isn't so they are correctlt announced on trains but not on stations as the Scottish company cannot be bothered to correct as I have complained many times. as for there performance figures they are awful an average of 10 trains per day cancelled or part cancelled.
An accepted pronunciation is "Slath-waite" with the first syllable like (Sylvia) Plath.

Nobody calls it Slay-thwaite except the TPE robot-voice.

Crossover

Established Member
I can confirm that 185109 is still out with its original interior. This could well be my last time on one such unit in fact

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I can confirm that 185109 is still out with its original interior. This could well be my last time on one such unit in fact
Had it yesterday on a LDS-MAN. Looked very tired and ready for the refurbishment.

Correction, I had 109 earlier on, in the opposite direction. Was only going from DEW to BTL, but having such a worn-out unit reminded me of the old days (2 months ago) when that journey was always with Northern.

Crossover

Established Member
Had it yesterday on a LDS-MAN. Looked very tired and ready for the refurbishment.

This one actually looks decided less knackered than the last non-refurb I had some months back (March I think) but yes, as you’d expect, they’re not being taken quite so much care of now

The only saving grace is I can see the plug sockets on this one without feeling around for it!

Ih8earlies

According to the latest internal "Fleet Update" The last 185's should be going in for refurb by the end of July.

After which the refurbed units will be cycled back through for other modifications. (New PIS, New Galley, ASDO control circuits etc)

BMIFlyer

According to the latest internal "Fleet Update" The last 185's should be going in for refurb by the end of July.

After which the refurbed units will be cycled back through for other modifications. (New PIS, New Galley, ASDO control circuits etc)

Also new CCTV, front end cameras, new guard desk in the cab and new twin beam LED headlights!

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Also new CCTV, front end cameras, new guard desk in the cab and new twin beam LED headlights!

Does this indicate the rumoured removal of the yellow warning panel?
It could be moved to the other end of the unit.
People keep going on about moving the toilet and 1st class, but doing so would be complicated and would mean the refurbishment of each unit would take weeks or months, rather than days. All so that there isn't the occasional (and in my experience it is only occasional) standard-class passenger walking through. Not worth the trouble, the existing set-up is the best compromise.

Status
Not open for further replies.