• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 185 refurbishment for TPE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I've noticed a lot of etched graffiti on the cab desks lately. Wonder why they don't spend repairing that instead!

BMIFlyer

I had 101 the other day and just thought the cab seats had been reupholstered! Are they actually new seats?!
Yes, new seats.

37057 said:
I've noticed a lot of etched graffiti on the cab desks lately. Wonder why they don't spend repairing that instead!

The cabs are a separately costed project. I did ask, purely due to the state that some have ended up in with the corrosion on the inside of the doors and the cab flooring etc.

I've seen a few photos sent in by certain crews who aren't happy with the state of some units 'out of customer view' areas.

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
If staff can't look after their work areas I have to agree, after all, thats why we lost the drink cup holders. But to have tidied up and touched up the driving desks and sort out the cab door seals and corrosion would have made a difference.

ash39

Established Member
I'm surprised there's corrosion on the 185s, they seem like really solid units, as do most Siemens units. Is it just a water ingress hotspot?

hst43009

Has 185144 been 'graced' with its new name before returning back into service?
I think some people may be disappointed. No names being given to units in service.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Crossforth

Established Member
Just 118 now if that is the case

But unlike the other 118, I sadly can't help you :D

185118 is currently working:

10:50 Scarborough - Liverpool Lime Street 1F86
14:22 Liverpool Lime Street - Scarborough 1E88
17:50 Scarborough - Liverpool Lime Street 1F83

On Moderation
If staff can't look after their work areas I have to agree, after all, thats why we lost the drink cup holders.
Which just helps the case for in-cab CCTV. Always some scum who have no respect for their colleagues.

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Don't want management watching me pick my nose/scratch my bum/feet up on the TMS......

Oops, dixnt mean to post that....

BMIFlyer

FFFFffffffffffffffffffffffffffff....

The good news is that cycles MUST be reserved to board the new trains. There will be 4 reservations available per train. In fact from sometime in early 2018 TPE will be making cycle reservations mandatory on all services and it also considering doing an 'SWT' by restricting the carriage of cycles altogether in the peak hours.

The other good news is that the cycle area on the new trains, at least on the LHCS, has its own vestibule and is therefore separated from the main passenger seating area by sliding doors.

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
The good news is that cycles MUST be reserved to board the new trains. There will be 4 reservations available per train. In fact from sometime in early 2018 TPE will be making cycle reservations mandatory on all services and it also considering doing an 'SWT' by restricting the carriage of cycles altogether in the peak hours.

The other good news is that the cycle area on the new trains, at least on the LHCS, has its own vestibule and is therefore separated from the main passenger seating area by sliding doors.

That's not going to work, how will that be enforced? Causes enough arguement as it is when I have to decline cyclists on overcrowded trains and ended up in management tea, biscuit and dictaphone meetings over cycle accomodation.

with tip up seats cyclists dont feel they can or think its unfair to boot other punters out of the seats and therefore dont bother. Some refuse to on the basis they don't want their bike damage by being propped up.against cycles. Instead they dump the bike avainst the luggage rack or against the door. A far better option would to hang the cycles as on the voyagers, safer and more secure and takes up less space there more can be accomodated

Last edited:

BMIFlyer

That's not going to work, how will that be enforced? Causes enough arguement as it is when I have to decline cyclists on overcrowded trains and ended up in management tea, biscuit and dictaphone meetings over cycle accomodation.

with tip up seats cyclists dont feel they can or think its unfair to boot other punters out of the seats and therefore dont bother. Some refuse to on the basis they don't want their bike damage by being propped up.against cycles. Instead they dump the bike avainst the luggage rack or against the door. A far better option would to hang the cycles as on the voyagers, safer and more secure and takes up less space there more can be accomodated

It will be widely publicised.... :)

I do agree though with your point, but it's been discussed and is coming as mentioned. Platform staff will be briefed as well, and the booking engines / websites updated, etc

PS: You have every right to refuse bikes. Log it with retail control and you are covered.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
So 185121 is confirmed as being in the new livery and both 185110 and 185118 were out in old livery yesterday, so we should be at this as of 10th September:

Units in bold are re-vinyled but unrefurbished
Units in blue are re-vinyled AND refurbished
Units in red are currently being refurbished

185101, 185102, 185103, 185104, 185105, 185106, 185107, 185108, 185109, 185110, 185111, 185112, 185113, 185114, 185115, 185116, 185117, 185118, 185119, 185120, 185121, 185122, 185123, 185124, 185125, 185126, 185127, 185128, 185129, 185130, 185131, 185132, 185133, 185134, 185135, 185136, 185137, 185138, 185139, 185140, 185141, 185142, 185143, 185144, 185145, 185146, 185147, 185148, 185149, 185150, 185151.

Tomnot27

So if I turn up unplanned (like if I had a mechanical problem) with my bike and their was space the guard would refuse travel even if I'd bought a ticket.

This happened the other week at Thirsk and needed to get to York

TEW

Established Member

Mandatory cycle reservations and cycle bans can be found in places all over the network, so it is possible for it to work. It needs management to support you if it does lead to complaints though.

Des Iroman

So if I turn up unplanned (like if I had a mechanical problem) with my bike and their was space the guard would refuse travel even if I'd bought a ticket.

Yep. Suppose it encourages consistency and avoids the 'well they let me last week / I've done it before' arguments. Not sure anyone buys a ticket on TPE services for their bike, it's for the person - you'd be entitled to travel, your bike wouldn't if you hadn't met the published reservation conditions. Hopefully the electronic reservation system on the new fleets allows booking shortly before travel so you could still be accommodated subject to space if you didn't turn up last minute.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Hopefully the electronic reservation system on the new fleets allows booking shortly before travel so you could still be accommodated subject to space if you didn't turn up last minute.

This is perhaps an instance where CrossCountry's Ten Minute Reservation system would prove useful!

BurtonM

In fact from sometime in early 2018 TPE will be making cycle reservations mandatory on all services

As a cycle commuter (Manchester to Stalybridge), this is ridiculous. Luckily I live in Stalybridge so if that ever happens I'll just refuse to give them any more service and side with Northern!

BurtonM

Lots of this is true. People refuse to move sometimes, and when they don't I'm standing wherever I fit with my bike, because more often than not when I leave it unattended it gets manhandled, and if it's in the cycle space someone else might lean theirs on it, which is a real pain when I want to get off. When it's busy it gets leant on by people which I really don't appreciate.
It's also unaccpetable that most guards won't enforce the cycle space unless the train is rammed, and when it's that bad I can't get to the cycle space, I don't want it there - I'd rather stay in the vestibule with my bike. It takes an age to get back out, and while it's in there it gets leant on, and often the whole thing just annoys everyone.

Bike spaces are for bikes, not people.
TPE are completely clueless about cycle storage. Nowhere else that you can take a bike on the train have I ever had an issue!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
As a cycle commuter (Manchester to Stalybridge), this is ridiculous. Luckily I live in Stalybridge so if that ever happens I'll just refuse to give them any more service and side with Northern!

TBH I'm in favour of cycle reservations across the network - it's a limited resource - provided they are easy enough to get.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Yep. Suppose it encourages consistency and avoids the 'well they let me last week / I've done it before' arguments. Not sure anyone buys a ticket on TPE services for their bike, it's for the person - you'd be entitled to travel, your bike wouldn't if you hadn't met the published reservation conditions. Hopefully the electronic reservation system on the new fleets allows booking shortly before travel so you could still be accommodated subject to space if you didn't turn up last minute.

If reservations are compulsory there is no need to mark them. VTWC allow them up to 5 minutes before departure from the station you are boarding at. (I think this is to prevent faff of missed trains and people running with cycles).

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Lots of this is true. People refuse to move sometimes, and when they don't I'm standing wherever I fit with my bike, because more often than not when I leave it unattended it gets manhandled, and if it's in the cycle space someone else might lean theirs on it, which is a real pain when I want to get off. When it's busy it gets leant on by people which I really don't appreciate.
It's also unaccpetable that most guards won't enforce the cycle space unless the train is rammed, and when it's that bad I can't get to the cycle space, I don't want it there - I'd rather stay in the vestibule with my bike. It takes an age to get back out, and while it's in there it gets leant on, and often the whole thing just annoys everyone.

Bike spaces are for bikes, not people.
TPE are completely clueless about cycle storage. Nowhere else that you can take a bike on the train have I ever had an issue!

This is the sort of thing that needed airing at the New trains roadshows, however it's widely shared across the railway network as a whole that the people in charge just aren't listening to the people on the front line, not are they actively engaging in approaching them to find out how the day to day job runs and therefore staff feel as though to speak out is just a waste of time.

Sadly many conductors don't enforce the cycle storage space because either 1. They haven't got time over their ticket checks or door operation, 2. they don't want the confrontation because there's no management backup or 3. some staff simply can't be bothered!

Status
Not open for further replies.