• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 221 for Grand Central

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

skyhigh

Established Member

occone

I just hope XC never install LED lighting, it'll really show up the internal filth too. The recent video by Doug Paulley shows just how tatty the ex-Virgin Voyagers now look: just see the thumbnail or skip to 1:10 to see the peeled outside:
(
)

Back to Grand Central and that Voyager looks exceedingly smart! I hope GC have given the inside a good clean too. Guessing based on the turnaround time the inside will be very much the same as it was before they got it.

Established Member
Back to Grand Central and that Voyager looks exceedingly smart! I hope GC have given the inside a good clean too. Guessing based on the turnaround time the inside will be very much the same as it was before they got it.
It was refurbished inside shortly before leaving Avanti, no?

AJDesiro

It was refurbished inside shortly before leaving Avanti, no?
Yes, it wouldn’t surprise me if every member of this forum was able to experience one of the refurbished voyagers, I’d imagine their opinions of them would change - it certainly changed mine for the better. It is amazing what a lick of paint, new carpet and reupholstered seats can do. The Avanti ones really feel like a solid train after the refurb, the smell even seems to have gone for the most part!

Last edited:

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I think still enabled, I can show you the link to the video I took where it's going around a fairly bendy curve if you'd like?
Tilt requires activation by TASS beacons, otherwise it auto locks out. (These beacons are only present on the WCML.)

Whether the equipment itself has been removed and the hydraulic rams replaced by a fixed bar as per the XC sets yet...

GWVillager

Yes, it wouldn’t surprise me if every member of this forum was able to experience one of the refurbished voyagers, I’d imagine their opinions of them would change - it certainly changed mine for the better. It is amazing what a lick of paint, new carpet and reupholstered seats can do. The Avanti ones really feel like a solid train after the refurb, the smell even seems to have gone for the most part!
I’m not actually too fond of the Avanti refurbished ones, I find the Virgin decor much more pleasing - it just needs a very good clean! But yes, I think a lot of what people dislike about the Voyagers is just XC, I can imagine them being quite popular with GC.

The_Train

Established Member
I’m not actually too fond of the Avanti refurbished ones, I find the Virgin decor much more pleasing - it just needs a very good clean! But yes, I think a lot of what people dislike about the Voyagers is just XC, I can imagine them being quite popular with GC.
I really don't get the Virgin love in, I found their units to be really bland inside and outside. I guess it's just personal preference though

GWVillager

I really don't get the Virgin love in, I found their units to be really bland inside and outside. I guess it's just personal preference though
Nor did I, but I recently stepped onto a unrefurbished Voyager immediately after getting off a refurbished one, and it was like a breath of fresh air (not literally, of course, given the smell!). I’m not sure how much of it is nostalgia though.

Skimble19

Established Member
I like it. but would look even better if they finished the job and did the centre cars.
Can’t help but think that even if they just applied the orange band to the centre cars it would make the clash between the outer and inner vehicles somewhat less stark. It does look great though, although perhaps part of that is down to GC seemingly having given it a good clean!

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Today's 1A70 07:58 Bradford Interchange to London Kings Cross has been cancelled due to a train fault- but I checked GC's website a few minutes ago and it's not showing any problems on the disruption section of their website. I don't know if LNER are accepting tickets.

skyhigh

Established Member
Today's 1A70 07:58 Bradford Interchange to London Kings Cross has been cancelled due to a train fault- but I checked GC's website a few minutes ago and it's not showing any problems on the disruption section of their website. I don't know if LNER are accepting tickets.
There was ticket acceptance with LNER.

M1544

I hope the 221s are in full service soon, Grand Central is getting a reputation for cancellations and unreliability on Bradford services in recent months. They will be destroying their own market for travel if they aren't careful

I hope the 221s are in full service soon, Grand Central is getting a reputation for cancellations and unreliability on Bradford services in recent months. They will be destroying their own market for travel if they aren't careful
Yes, it'd seem pointless to continual trying to throw money at fixing the 180s when evidently no amount of money is going to fix them. I do admit I have a soft spot for the 180s as they're the last bit of railway that's remained relatively the same in my area since I first got into trains but their reliability is awful.

azOOOOOma

Coach A seats 45 to 48 seem to be single seats on one side only. Can anyone explain the layout and reasons for this?

Laura x

deep south

GC use Twitter/X for their updates, but if you don't have an account on that app then the most recent update is from several years ago...

I have emailed them and the reply was "it has been passed on to the relevant team... Several days ago!

voyagerdude220

Established Member
GC use Twitter/X for their updates, but if you don't have an account on that app then the most recent update is from several years ago...

I have emailed them and the reply was "it has been passed on to the relevant team... Several days ago!
Ok thank you for that. That sounds ridiculously poor, but doesn't surprise me because it's Grand Central.

deep south

To be fair to GC, other companies have also been caught out by Elon's attempts to monetize his purchase, amid his advertisement income falling off a cliff and he is trying to increase his subscriber numbers accordingly.

bluegoblin7

Established Member
Nothing at all to do with Elon’s takeover or having to have an account - GC delete their service information tweets after they become irrelevant to those travelling.

Whilst it’s reasonable to question the motives behind it, it’s actually fairly salient advice for people dealing with realtime information in this way: the majority of Twitter/X users do so with a curated, rather than chronological, feed, and did even before this started to be pushed more than it was. ‘The 1045 is cancelled today’ is of no use to anyone when it’s the first thing in your feed but the today in question was four days ago.

If there is relevant, current information it will appear at the top of GC’s feed.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
People actually don't use Twitter in chronological order? That boggles me, it seems like an insane way to use it. Newest posts at the top every time for me, there was no other way to use social media. None that made any sense anyway!