• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 221 for Grand Central

D365

Veteran Member
I didn’t think Tass was part of ETCS, but I think I’m mixing it up with ERTMS.
As somebody who's more familiar with locomotive ETCS, I'm only slowly learning my way around the multiple unit implementations [past and present]!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nym

Established Member
They have TASS.

But what that means is that if NR use their brain, they could re-use a lot of the existing equipment fitted as there is already a;

Eurobalise Antenna
EVC
NVC
I beleive they have RADARs.
Speed Probes.

Hence, the ancillary equipment could all be re-used for a 'full fat' ETCS installation, and even if not, the wiring routes and racking locations could be re-used, provided some silly requirements don't get put in the way of just re-using existing locations.

Those who work on ETCS for NR, know.

johntea

Established Member
Looks like both my outward and return trip on Grand Central in a couple of weeks are booked for a 221 looking at journey history

Are they still a faraday cage for mobile signal or have they somehow improved that these days?

TheWalrus

Established Member
Do the 221s only do Bradfords ie no Sunderlands? So if I booked a Sunderland service it would certainly be a 180?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Do the 221s only do Bradfords ie no Sunderlands? So if I booked a Sunderland service it would certainly be a 180?
Only Bradfords, it’s been stated a few times in this thread, and I think any recent change to that would have been significant enough to be mentioned.

johntea

Established Member
Can confirm the mobile signal…isn’t great!

I was keen to try the on board ‘Avanti_Free_WiFi’ :D … but it wouldn’t even let me connect to the wireless network let alone t’internet!

Only Bradfords, it’s been stated a few times in this thread, and I think any recent change to that would have been significant enough to be mentioned.
They were running in and out of York last Sunday 18th (saw one with my eyes), but I think this was just on 5JXX headcodes between York and Crofton Depot

Neo9320

Was on a train past central rivers yesterday and saw the GC ‘livery’.

Seems like they’re not going all out just yet, merely popping the basics on the sides.

Is central rivers going to be the home base for these or are they going somewhere else?

John C

Seems like they’re not going all out just yet, merely popping the basics on the sides.

Is central rivers going to be the home base for these or are they going somewhere else?
I would expect this would of been either 221142 or 143 which arrived from Crofton Depot yesterday as 5M60 presumably for maintenance at Central Rivers https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:K01348/2024-02-28/detailed. These two units have been with Grand Central for some months now and are maintained/based at Crofton depot.

The lease (as far as I know!) is only meant to last a year so surprised they've done as much as they have to be honest.

170UTD

When's the lease due to expire? I'm thinking of doing a trip to Bradford to on one (I think 1D71 is diagramed as a Voyager). I'm surprised that they aren't trying to extend it or get more of them since the Avanti ones will be coming free (after XC have taken 7 anyway)

Nick82

When's the lease due to expire? I'm thinking of doing a trip to Bradford to on one (I think 1D71 is diagramed as a Voyager).
I believe towards the end of the year.

I'm surprised that they aren't trying to extend it or get more of them since the Avanti ones will be coming free (after XC have taken 7 anyway)
Currently there's no aspiration to extend it further due to the ECDP as they are not compatible

Wyrleybart

Established Member
When's the lease due to expire? I'm thinking of doing a trip to Bradford to on one (I think 1D71 is diagramed as a Voyager). I'm surprised that they aren't trying to extend it or get more of them since the Avanti ones will be coming free (after XC have taken 7 anyway)
From what I understand the 221s were taken on lease for 12 months to give Crofton breathing space to restore the backlog of 180 maintenance. Apart from two misplaced vehicles (55903 and 55906) all the original GCR 180s are back in correct formations.

Watch this space this summer

170UTD

From what I understand the 221s were taken on lease for 12 months to give Crofton breathing space to restore the backlog of 180 maintenance. Apart from two misplaced vehicles (55903 and 55906) all the original GCR 180s are back in correct formations.

Misplaced? What happened? :lol:

Trainman40083

Did the EMR Class 180 that was on loan to Grand Central, go back to store?

Halish Railway

Established Member
Misplaced? What happened? :lol:
Out of place would be a better description. From what I gather various vehicles are in the wrong sets, hence the numbering of the vehicles in question don't match those of the rest of the consist. I believe this is due to varying levels of corrosion and malfunctioning amongst the vehicles in each consist, so some vehicles have been moved around to make a usable five-carriage unit but haven't been rearranged to be back in the original consist.

170UTD

I'm aware that this is slightly off topic, but is 1st Class on a GC Voyger worth it or should I go in standard to keep the cost down? I can get a 1st Advanced for £21.50 at the moment. I just want to get people's thoughts on it.
I'll be going from Bradford to Peterborough. Thanks in advance.

Kite159

Veteran Member
I'm aware that this is slightly off topic, but is 1st Class on a GC Voyger worth it or should I go in standard to keep the cost down? I can get a 1st Advanced for £21.50 at the moment. I just want to get people's thoughts on it.
I'll be going from Bradford to Peterborough. Thanks in advance.
Depends how much extra £21.50 is compared to standard class.

deep south

1st class gets you a bigger 2+1 seat. Free tea or coffee and a small snack brought to you at your seat, ordered on an spp.

So you pays yer money and makes yer choice... More comfortable yes, also more expensive.

170UTD

1st class gets you a bigger 2+1 seat. Free tea or coffee and a small snack brought to you at your seat, ordered on an spp.

So you pays yer money and makes yer choice... More comfortable yes, also more expensive.
Thanks for your help. Booked my £21.50 ticket from Bradford to Peterborough. I'm looking forward to trying out a Voyager (hopefully).

TheWalrus

Established Member
Thanks for your help. Booked my £21.50 ticket from Bradford to Peterborough. I'm looking forward to trying out a Voyager (hopefully).
Personally I would say you made the right choice.