• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 222 refurbishment

QSK19

When the 810s were ordered (July 2019), some were supposed to be in service during 2022 with remainder during 2023

Presumably as originally planned all (not some) of the 222s would have transferred away about now. So looking like delay to 810s has added about 2.5 years extra to 222s with East Midlands.

Adding 2.5 years use (which could easily be nearer 3-4 years) sort of forces a refurbishment question, on how much needs doing
Yep, but then again EMR and unrefurbished trains seem to go hand in hand; so it’s strange to actually see a refurbishment materalise :lol:. Only took nearly 4.5 years!

Nevertheless, I think there will be plenty of time for a refurbishment to be viable - the wheelflats on 810001 seem to typify endless delays at EMR; so the 222s will seemingly be around for a while yet.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SWT_USER

Is this ongoing refurb the reason EMR seem to only be running 5 coach trains (specifically yesterday London to Sheffield) it's totally inadequate for a main route out of London.

liamf656

Is this ongoing refurb the reason EMR seem to only be running 5 coach trains (specifically yesterday London to Sheffield) it's totally inadequate for a main route out of London.
No, the refurb is being done while the set is on exam, so it won't affect things too much. There were various issues the past few days with the overtime ban at ASLEF and a few unit issues

Snow1964

Established Member
are the 222s definitely off to scotrail, if so then when will they leave EMR?
The East Midlands lease on 222s from Eversholt was due to end 31/12/22, and an extension was made related to introduction of 810s. But not sure what date they are now leased to.

Last I heard none of EM fleet is leased beyond 22/8/27, even the new 810s have that as lease end date.

Of course dates might be changed

QSK19

The East Midlands lease on 222s from Eversholt was due to end 31/12/22, and an extension was made related to introduction of 810s. But not sure what date they are now leased to.

Last I heard none of EM fleet is leased beyond 22/8/27, even the new 810s have that as lease end date.

Of course dates might be changed
At this rate, the 810s will need a lease extension before they even enter service! :lol:

Either way, Eversholt won’t be too unhappy with getting another 2-2.5 years’ effectively guaranteed lease fees!

Freemo

222001 has also had new seats in standard class, but only in coach A
Wish I'd known about this as I was on 222001 on Saturday looking for a seat in coaches B & C that didn't look like the one from Twitter upthread and it was difficult. The bog standard Voyager I got on the way back felt like a brand new train by comparison.

InTheEastMids

So I'm on 222008 and the standard class end vehicle (at least) has been refreshed. The ambience feels pretty sombre, but at least the seats are now clean, and the cushions have been replaced so the comfort is improved. Lighting (always a strong point) was also switched to LEDs earlier this year, and in my view the 222 has very good ride comfort (expecting the 810s to be a backward step) and engine noise/vibration is only intrusive under hard acceleration at lower speeds.

But to be clear, all this does is brings the trains back to a minimum standard for a longer-distance train. It is not a comprehensive refurbishment (e.g. tables, seat frames, grab handles and other interior parts haven't been repainted) and the carpets look cleaner, but I think are the same Stagecoach design of dark blue with red and orange spots. Plus the WiFi is completely useless and the windows do a great job of blocking cellular signals so working on the move is more challenging than it ought to be in the 2020s.

QSK19

The whole EMR refurbishment budget has been blown on this… and they don’t seem to have got it right :lol:. It’s disappointing that, nearly 4.5 years into EMR’s life, this is what we get in terms of refurbishment - so disappointing that it’s laughable.

A taste of what’s to come if the 360s and 170s ever get done!

On Moderation
The whole EMR refurbishment budget has been blown on this… and they don’t seem to have got it right :lol:. It’s disappointing that, nearly 4.5 years into EMR’s life, this is what we get in terms of refurbishment - so disappointing that it’s laughable.

The 222 refresh was never going to be that extensive as they are being replaced. It’s difficult enough to justify the expenditure currently, so to get something done to the worst condition elements is a result.

Established Member

I guess if you view it as just something to make them bearable for the remainder of their time in service, rather than as a true refurbishment, it starts to make sense. I’ve yet to see it in the flesh, but didn’t think it looked too bad from the pictures. The red Meridian seats are in a truly shocking state, so it won’t take much to make a significant improvement.

The 360 programme is intended to be a lot more comprehensive AIUI. It was supposedly going to the board to be signed off quite recently, so hopefully there will be an announcement in the new year.

QSK19

I guess if you view it as just something to make them bearable for the remainder of their time in service, rather than as a true refurbishment, it starts to make sense. I’ve yet to see it in the flesh, but didn’t think it looked too bad from the pictures. The red Meridian seats are in a truly shocking state, so it won’t take much to make a significant improvement.
My joking aside, yes I agree that the new covers - whatever their colour - do address and remedy something that is an utter disgrace and unacceptable.

WAB

Just trying out a carriage with new seating covers now, and whilst I would perhaps prefer a dark blue over dark grey, they look smart and aren't too oppressive. A lot smarter than the tatty older covers at any rate.

Mugby

Established Member
I experienced the new seat covers for the first time yesterday, I fully agree that they create a sombre ambience but at least they won't show grease on the headrests and spilt drinks on the seat squabs like the red cloth did. I did notice that where the moquette had become crushed by bums, backs, luggage or anything else which lays heavily, it seems to produce a faded effect where the impressions have been. Certainly an improvement though albeit a minor one'

The set I travelled on was 005 and I noticed that the second coach at the Standard end, vehicle number 60565, had half red and half new covers. Is this one of the former Composites which has been re-classified to all Standard?

InTheEastMids

EMR announcing that around 25% (1200 out of 5214) seats have now been recovered (see link to EMR media release below). Given that it's taken them 3 months to do about 1/4 of the work, I guess it's going to take about a year to complete.

DDB

EMR announcing that around 25% (1200 out of 5214) seats have now been recovered (see link to EMR media release below). Given that it's taken them 3 months to do about 1/4 of the work, I guess it's going to take about a year to complete.

The link says they are hoping for completion by early spring but it doesn't specify a year!

STINT47

I like the quote in the original press release.

"This much-needed refresh of the train interiors represents a significant investment for the fleet and future-proofs them, enabling them to continue serving UK customers wherever they go after they leave us."

It all bit admits that this is being done for the next operator rather than EMR giving a damn about their own customers.

Trainman40083

The link says they are hoping for completion by early spring but it doesn't specify a year!
What I understand is that they are done whilst the 222 is having an exam. That may not allow more time than to complete one coach at a time. I guess you could argue it is slow, because the units are so reliable, they don't spend enough time on Etches Park.

D365

Veteran Member
I guess you could argue it is slow, because the units are so reliable, they don't spend enough time on Etches Park.
Which is a good thing because Etches Park is, for all intents and purposes, at capacity.

Trainman40083

Which is a good thing because Etches Park is, for all intents and purposes, at capacity.
Indeed. Running trains for paying passengers must come first. I must look how they are getting on with the new depot next time I go past.

RailWonderer

Established Member
I had a refurbished unit today. The seat covers are a dark grey with white snowballs which aren’t the EMR colours but it still looked smart. It’s a shame the tables and carpets were not changed.

It was on the 09:32 off St Pancras, 222 102. 022 is also refurbished but interestingly first class doesn’t look to have been touched peering through the window.

jamie56

On Moderation
EMR have stated on Twitter that the class 222 Meridians are going through a mid life refresh after someone complained about the state of the arm rests and seats.

Apparently they only have a few left to do but I have yet to see a refreshed train in service. Does anyone know any more details about the refresh and what work has been done on the very tired interiors?
They have new maquette and that's it

duffield

Established Member
I had a refurbished unit today. The seat covers are a dark grey with white snowballs which aren’t the EMR colours but it still looked smart. It’s a shame the tables and carpets were not changed.

It was on the 09:32 off St Pancras, 222 102. 022 is also refurbished but interestingly first class doesn’t look to have been touched peering through the window.
IMHO First class is just fine, it gets much less wear and has better quality seats anyhow, so it's good for the next couple of years, to see out the end of the 222s on EMR.

After that, who knows what will happen to them, but it's likely at least the 1st class bits of the composite 1st/standard coaches will get changed to standard, and 1st might get removed altogether or reduced to a small compartment, so it would be complete waste refurbing 1st now.

QSK19

The refurbishment is fairly short-term if they are all due for replacement by 810s next year.
Indeed. It might have been needed regardless of length of time before the 810s come in due to having to return the 222s to Eversholt in an acceptable end-of-lease condition or to make them more marketable in order to try to find them another home post-EMR. No doubt insiders with knowledge of the actual reasons behind the refurbishment can’t divulge such details here.

D365

Veteran Member
Original planning was for the 222 refresh to take place once off-leased by the 810s. But with the delays to the new fleet introduction this has been replanned. Plus I can’t imagine Eversholt would be unhappy about getting another few years out of the 222s.

317 forever

Established Member
Indeed. It might have been needed regardless of length of time before the 810s come in due to having to return the 222s to Eversholt in an acceptable end-of-lease condition or to make them more marketable in order to try to find them another home post-EMR. No doubt insiders with knowledge of the actual reasons behind the refurbishment can’t divulge such details here.
Maybe the cost of refurbishment is less than any "penalty" for handing the trains back in poorer condition.

At least it gives us a different looking interior for a ride towards their end in service. Like a few other classes (175, 379 etc) they are due to be taken out of service after a notably shorter time than average.

D365

Veteran Member
Like a few other classes (175, 379 etc) they are due to be taken out of service after a notably shorter time than average.
Worth bearing in mind that the 222s are used intensively, and therefore rather knackered as a result. They will need some significant mechanical attention before going to another operator.