• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 230 units training/introduction on the Borderlands line: updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Wow some deluded people, they are complete rubbish and totally unreliable
To be fair, noting your username, most of us won't be local to the line or the units. We don't properly see the failings of them. We just travel on one and enjoy (or not) the experience of doing so, assuming it turns up. If it doesn't then it's little more than a grumble and a detour via Chester for most people.

It's too easy to sit from afar and only look at the good things without having to suffer the bad. To be quite honest, I'm amazed the Borderlands line has any passengers left. I parked at Hawarden earlier to get the 14:58. I think 4 of the 14 parking spaces were in use.

CaergwrleKen

Sorry for maybe going off the topic a bit but it’s not just the Bidston line, Wrexham passengers have constant problems on the main line trains always full two carriages, the Premier train has been cut again and is also unreliable, i know TFW have had some problems but Wrexham seems to be a forgotten town when it comes to the railway

DLAYKEGER

To be fair, noting your username, most of us won't be local to the line or the units. We don't properly see the failings of them. We just travel on one and enjoy (or not) the experience of doing so, assuming it turns up. If it doesn't then it's little more than a grumble and a detour via Chester for most people.

It's too easy to sit from afar and only look at the good things without having to suffer the bad. To be quite honest, I'm amazed the Borderlands line has any passengers left. I parked at Hawarden earlier to get the 14:58. I think 4 of the 14 parking spaces were in use.

Yes unfortunately the line users have been driven away, but thats not really the sole fault of the 230s it was the 175 debacle mainly to blame, when they took the 150s for so called more important lines for months, replacing trains with buses taking two and even 3 times as long. We then got 230s that failed or were severely delayed providing a 2hr service (meaning commuting to Livrrppol or Wrexham before 9am was impossible) instead of a promised half hour service, buses on saturday and our best service was on a Sunday when 150s became available. Two hourly resulted from a lack of trained crew despite the 230s being here since 2020. You have to ask did TFW have a training plan. Won't detail the thermal incidents.

Having said that, 230s are nice, when they work, much better than 150s for comfort, but are not reliable.

My concern is that TFWs management decisions are scuppering any chance of 777 battery trains being used on the Borderlands as customers have been driven away.

Last edited:

meld3

The cancellations between General and Central this evening are due to the police dealing with an incident between the 2 stations.

A quick look shows 008 in service now which is running right time. The other unit is 009 which is around 11 late - it got held on the previous journey outside General for a while then routed into 3 and terminated due to the above incident.

Not looked at the rest of the day however so don't know how they've been this morning!
I went for them today....
008 was on the training runs.
010 failed on 2F58 in the morning, limped to Bidston and went to depot. Its next outing 2J60/2F70 were cancelled and no bus was available. It was taken to depot and returned for 2J68/2J76 trips.
007 struggled on 2F62 and 25 mins late when I caught it, then attended by a Fitter at Bidston who said it may need swapping out but try one more trip first.
There were people at Shotton who had to wait 90 mins for a southbound service after 010 dropped out with no bus cover.
Its a wonder the locals bother, there seemed as many enthusiasts as locals to my eyes.

markymark2000

On Moderation
010 failed on 2F58 in the morning, limped to Bidston and went to depot. Its next outing 2J60/2F70 were cancelled and no bus was available. It was taken to depot and returned for 2J68/2J76 trips.
007 struggled on 2F62 and 25 mins late when I caught it, then attended by a Fitter at Bidston who said it may need swapping out but try one more trip first.
There were people at Shotton who had to wait 90 mins for a southbound service after 010 dropped out with no bus cover.
Its a wonder the locals bother, there seemed as many enthusiasts as locals to my eyes.
No bus was available? Who told you that? There were 2 buses on standby in Chester from 8am this morning and they never moved.

L401CJF

Established Member
Thanks for the info.

Agree I feel for the locals, those who use it probably have no other choice.

I'd love to know what it is exactly that's causing them to fail (when it's not pollen). I've been told a full reset seems to sort faults a lot of the time. Hopefully solutions are being sought.

DLAYKEGER

No bus was available? Who told you that? There were 2 buses on standby in Chester from 8am this morning and they never moved.

If they were solely for the line, they could have been better located, so not a minimum of 20mins to 30min away from the line. Makes you think who is making such decisions

markymark2000

On Moderation
If they were solely for the line, they could have been better located, so not a minimum of 20mins to 30min away from the line. Makes you think who is making such decisions
No, they weren't there specifically for the Borderlands line, they were for use anywhere on the network.
Chester is the best location for buses to get to the borderlands quickly as well as quickly respond to other issues on the network.

DLAYKEGER

No, they weren't there specifically for the Borderlands line, they were for use anywhere on the network.
Chester is the best location for buses to get to the borderlands quickly as well as quickly respond to other issues on the network.

You then have to ask why shotton was left with no service southbound for 90mins. Who decides when they can be used?

childwallblues

Established Member
Yes unfortunately the line users have been driven away, but thats not really the sole fault of the 230s it was the 175 debacle mainly to blame, when they took the 150s for so called more important lines for months, replacing trains with buses taking two and even 3 times as long. We then got 230s that failed or were severely delayed providing a 2hr service (meaning commuting to Livrrppol or Wrexham before 9am was impossible) instead of a promised half hour service, buses on saturday and our best service was on a Sunday when 150s became available. Two hourly resulted from a lack of trained crew despite the 230s being here since 2020. You have to ask did TFW have a training plan. Won't detail the thermal incidents.

Having said that, 230s are nice, when they work, much better than 150s for comfort, but are not reliable.

My concern is that TFWs management decisions are scuppering any chance of 777 battery trains being used on the Borderlands as customers have been driven away.
The use of 777s is dependent on agreement between TfW and Merseytravel and DfT. Passengers would return if a direct connection into Liverpool was achieved. Would save them driving along the A550 Welsh Road to Hooton to access the Merseyrail.

meld3

Clearly a decision was made higher up then as it was stated on the platform information screens at Shotton, plus the ticket office lady was very apologetic.
Didn't affect me as I was going north.

DLAYKEGER

The use of 777s is dependent on agreement between TfW and Merseytravel and DfT. Passengers would return if a direct connection into Liverpool was achieved. Would save them driving along the A550 Welsh Road to Hooton to access the Merseyrail.

Agree with what you say about a550 , but lack of existiing customers would weaken any case for investment. Hopefully they can make a mix of 230s and 197s work, but it would probably need a miracle or a service every 45min instead of the propsed 30 mins. A 45min frequency could allow a 15min buffer for late running.

Wyrleybart

Established Member
Even quicker basing one at Shotton surely ? Reading this thread it seems a lot of issues occur in the Shotton area, and it could also serve downstairs too.

I would imagine the Borderlands route is pretty high up the TfW service failure chart so an RRB actually at an important station on the route would also provide a little bit of passenger confidence surely ?

markymark2000

On Moderation
Even quicker basing one at Shotton surely ? Reading this thread it seems a lot of issues occur in the Shotton area, and it could also serve downstairs too.
No place to park a bus in Shotton. Plus Chester is ideal for Manchester, Crewe, Halton Curve or the Coast like going down. Buses are not there for a certain line so they are strategically placed so that they can be used easiest in the best way.

I would imagine the Borderlands route is pretty high up the TfW service failure chart so an RRB actually at an important station on the route would also provide a little bit of passenger confidence surely ?
Wrexham is where borderlands only standbys are normally kept but the firm's then keep the buses at their depots as they are close enough to the station and so it would make no difference.

Plus, this doesn't address the key issue that tfw didn't ask the bus to move. Irrespective of its location if TFW don't ask for the bus to move, it won't move.

Wyrleybart

Established Member
No place to park a bus in Shotton. Plus Chester is ideal for Manchester, Crewe, Halton Curve or the Coast like going down. Buses are not there for a certain line so they are strategically placed so that they can be used easiest in the best way.

Wrexham is where borderlands only standbys are normally kept but the firm's then keep the buses at their depots as they are close enough to the station and so it would make no difference.

Plus, this doesn't address the key issue that tfw didn't ask the bus to move. Irrespective of its location if TFW don't ask for the bus to move, it won't move.
That is fair enough, and really, if a 230 is not reliable enough to do the job, then you shouldn't have to position sticking plasters on it's route.
Your last sentence is key in his instance.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
https://www.senedd.tv/Meeting/Archive/b628e320-938e-4a12-b32e-749f9897c9c0?autostart=True#

Class 230's being briefly discussed in Public Accounts meeting.
Below is copy of the letter sent and reply received from TFW CEO.

https://business.senedd.wales/ieListDocuments.aspx?CId=735&MId=13386

It also includes the costs of the units and associated costs with the program.
In the final paragraphs of the response letter by the TfW CEO, it states...."The Class 230 units have been generally operating reliably".

Zontar

£30m for that bag of spanners....they've been had.

Someone should be accountable for the purchase of these, clearly never been fit for purpose.

L401CJF

Established Member
Disaster of a day yesterday with multiple failures unfortunately.

I know minister(s) and high up management have been involved, making multiple trips up to ride them in recent weeks. They visited Birkenhead North depot the other day. I'm just curious as to what the solution will be.

They've been in service for a few months now, surely this is enough time to see what the common problems are and look into solutions/modifications?

Regarding comments upthread about "they've had plenty of time to train drivers/guards" - the issue with that is many had been trained, then the thermal incidents followed and the fleet was out of action for months on end. Competency lapsed for those who had been trained so refreshers were then needed, plus plenty of new staff have since joined who needed training.

When I started I was told I wouldn't sign 230s as they were looking to bin them off completely. Then suddenly they had to go into service and here we are!

CaergwrleKen

There seems to be a lot of holes in that letter unfortunately. Looks like todays service is going the same way the 0935 Bidston to Wrexham looks like it has gone missing. The other one has also failed apparently all trains cancelled now

Last edited:

meld3

008 and 010 started today.
010 lasted to mid morning, 009 lasted to midday.
A few hours of nothing, and 008 gets ripped off the training runs to provide a service.
But if they actually spent £30m on these units, then I have some magic beans for sale for just £3m.....

CaergwrleKen

008 and 010 started today.
010 lasted to mid morning, 009 lasted to midday.
A few hours of nothing, and 008 gets ripped off the training runs to provide a service.
But if they actually spent £30m on these units, then I have some magic beans for sale for just £3m.....

Bit of a number mix up i think. 009 and 010 were the service trains this morning on RTT, 008 must have been on the training. All trains are cancelled now this is probably because they can’t rescue one if they have failed.

Zontar

Yesterday was awful. Trains over hour late, set swaps, running empty....utter utter shower of the proverbial. 30 'kin million quid. Someone really is laughing their cotton socks off all the way to the bank

Pacco

If they did Merseyrail battery trains it would be a smash. 30 minute headway to start with, trains through the loop so people can get to Liverpool instead of changing at Bidston (which is like being on a mini Piccadilly platform 13/14 in terms of bleakness). Definitely a case of 'build it and they will come'. People in the area really like the Merseyrail offer they don't really check the timetable, they just rock up and go.

Status
Not open for further replies.