• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 313 flashovers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
I have read about the recent flashovers on Southern Class 313s and understand that the seriousness on unit 205 led to its withdrawal. Presume this is the first of the class to be withdrawn (from Southern)

Any reason why 313s in particular are suffering from flashovers?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cravens

Flashovers are definitely not uncommon in DC motors, particularly in old DC motors. I remember when the A Stock was being withdrawn (when they were in their late 40’s/early 50’s), a few retirements were hastened by flashovers and burnouts.

LiftFan

What actually is a traction motor flashover? Does that mean it's permanently spent or can they be repaired?

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
What actually is a traction motor flashover? Does that mean it's permanently spent or can they be repaired?
Basically its a short-circuit/electrical arc

Someone with more knowledge will explain in more detail but I found an old thread here

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
It won’t be coming back, and the rest will surely be gone before the year is out.

Tynwald

Class 313 have GEC G310 traction motors, along with class 507, 508, some 314 and 315. They have always suffered commutation problems from new, hence flashovers. A very rigorous maintenance policy is required to prevent this.

Richard Scott

Established Member
It's when the insulation between parts of the commutator effectively breaks down and allows and arc to form between windings. Sometimes little damage is done - in days of deltics was normal practice to close power controller then reapply power; if all was OK just carried on. Would then get inspected at depot and probably just clean up the commutator. Carbon build up from brushes could often cause flashover so keeping motors clean was a good way to avoid issues. Series-Parallel wound locos were more prone to generator flashover as ran at twice the voltage to an all parallel loco (roughly speaking).

Doomotron

September. That was in the latest version of ‘the truth according to DfT that I saw’
I had a friend of a friend that said the 313s would be replaced by battery-powered 376s...

Really, speculating about the withdrawal of the 313s is pointless, as there is no indication that they are actually being withdrawn, and there's no direct replacement as of yet anyway.

D365

Veteran Member
I had a friend of a friend that said the 313s would be replaced by battery-powered 376s...

Really, speculating about the withdrawal of the 313s is pointless, as there is no indication that they are actually being withdrawn, and there's no direct replacement as of yet anyway.
That's brave :D

Status
Not open for further replies.