• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 315 Withdrawals

Status
Not open for further replies.

3973EXL

Established Member
I believe that there is a thread entitled "Class 317 Withdrawals"

When I passed Wembley on Tuesday I swear there was at least one 315 and one 317 there. Can anybody clarify?
37884 took 315801 + 315815 up to Wembley a short time ago

For anyone wondering about the status of the two 315 at Booths, I have been told on Twitter that 315808 is still intact but 315822 is now in the process of being dismantled

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

KC1

In what way? I travelled on a couple in September and they were actually pretty decent, certainly compared to some of the trains I’ve travelled on in Northern land over the last couple of years! Yes they’re old and no doubt becoming high maintenance, but I don’t look at them and think “that looks ready for scrapping”.

The rattle, they squeak, the acceleration is appalling and jolty, they smell and above all, they’re ugly.

221101 Voyager

Established Member
The rattle, they squeak, the acceleration is appalling and jolty, they smell and above all, they’re ugly.
If you had a car that had been worked hard for 40 years it would be the same as a 315. It's 40 years old, it will be a little worn out and in need of TLC. Which of course won't happen as the cost of overhaul and parts is too much vs new 345/710s.

Ugly? Take a look at the 701 or certain 317s then! :rolleyes:

PEPs are a simple, clutter free design that I think looks nice when it's clean. :D

KC1

If you had a car that had been worked hard for 40 years it would be the same as a 315. It's 40 years old, it will be a little worn out and in need of TLC. Which of course won't happen as the cost of overhaul and parts is too much vs new 345/710s.

Ugly? Take a look at the 701 or certain 317s then! :rolleyes:

PEPs are a simple, clutter free design that I think looks nice when it's clean. :D

I put the 317s in the same bracket as the 315, the 701s, nothing at all wrong with them.

As for the 40 year old thing, I think that proves my point, time to go.

delt1c

Established Member
I put the 317s in the same bracket as the 315, the 701s, nothing at all wrong with them.

Having lasted so long and worked so hard shows what good designs the 315's and 317's are. On the services from Liverpool St they put in sterling service, but now is the time to retire them. They have done well .We should salute them.

221101 Voyager

Established Member
Having lasted so long and worked so hard shows what good designs the 315's and 317's are. On the services from Liverpool St they put in sterling service, but now is the time to retire them. They have done well .We should salute them.
With TfL Rail ones hanging on abit longer, I hope I might be able to go on one again next year, if Covid improves, which now seems very unlikely. If I don't get the chance to go on one, I can still say I've enjoyed my journeys on them.

If not a 315, hopefully I can go on a Southern 313 instead hopefully at least at some point.

On a side, hopefully the preservation effort for the 315 is going well, and if we are lucky they might repaint it to NSE! That's my dream anyway! Fingers crossed! :D

Last edited:

DustyBin

Established Member

Really? I noticed more rattles (of the annoying type) on the 345 I travelled on than the 315. I can’t say I’ve noticed them squeak much either, in fact the noisiest thing about them is probably the motors which I personally find quite pleasing to listen to. I can’t relate to your criticism of their acceleration to be honest, they’re pretty lively unless they’re running with motors isolated. I don’t find them smelly either, although I suppose that depends on how well they’re cleaned. Your final point is subjective, in terms of looks I’ve never been a fan of the PEP derived units, they’re rather plain but possibly because of that they have aged well. They’re very much of their era, simple, functional and reliable which is why they’re still with us; their replacements will do very well to last as long.

Ewan M

Think another loco will be taking 315802 + 315807 as 37884 is doing some work up in Scotland

Bikeman78

Established Member
Really? I noticed more rattles (of the annoying type) on the 345 I travelled on than the 315. I can’t say I’ve noticed them squeak much either, in fact the noisiest thing about them is probably the motors which I personally find quite pleasing to listen to. I can’t relate to your criticism of their acceleration to be honest, they’re pretty lively unless they’re running with motors isolated. I don’t find them smelly either, although I suppose that depends on how well they’re cleaned. Your final point is subjective, in terms of looks I’ve never been a fan of the PEP derived units, they’re rather plain but possibly because of that they have aged well. They’re very much of their era, simple, functional and reliable which is why they’re still with us; their replacements will do very well to last as long.
History repeats itself. Every time a train goes in the bin, some people miss them, others go on about how awful they were. I've never noticed any significant rattles on 315s or any similar units. Some do squeak a lot, it's something to do with the suspension. One thing is for sure, the brakes are a lot smoother than the class 195s. Progress?

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
With TfL Rail ones hanging on abit longer, I hope I might be able to go on one again next year, if Covid improves, which now seems very unlikely. If I don't get the chance to go on one, I can still say I've enjoyed my journeys on them.

If not a 315, hopefully I can go on a Southern 313 instead hopefully at least at some point.

On a side, hopefully the preservation effort for the 315 is going well, and if we are lucky they might repaint it to NSE! That's my dream anyway! Fingers crossed! :D
You’ve got ages until the last TFL Rail ones go, but the Southern 313s are considerably nicer anyway ;)

221101 Voyager

Established Member

221101 Voyager

Established Member
Just 809 as 802, 807 and 808 have already been scrapped though there’s a chance that 809 itself may now been gone
Thanks for details. Wikipedia is out of date then! Right, I'm on it to make the adjustments! ;)

You’ve got ages until the last TFL Rail ones go, but the Southern 313s are considerably nicer anyway ;)
Fair enough on the TfL ones glad I've got a while, I haven't been on a Southern 313 before so can't comment on their 'niceness'! :D ;) But I'll take your word for it!

Last edited:

Ewan M

It would appear that today’s move to Newport is yet to depart from Wembley

UPDATE - the two units are now en-route to Newport but they’re running an hour and a half late

Last edited:

Ewan M

The LO 315s are officially extinct. 315801 + 315815 reached Newport an hour ago and with 809 itself presumably disposed of on site at Wolverton Works there are now no more LO 315s left, just the TfL Rail ones

221101 Voyager

Established Member
The LO 315s are officially extinct. 315801 + 315815 reached Newport an hour ago and with 809 itself presumably disposed of on site at Wolverton Works there are now no more LO 315s left, just the TfL Rail ones
Just out of interest as I'm just updating the 315 wiki again, what evidence is there of 809 being scrapped at Wolverton?

hst43102

Sad to see the 315's go, great units

Status
Not open for further replies.