• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 319 LNR withdrawal date

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Foxxle

319214 seen by itself at Northampton EMD from a passing train on Saturday. There's an EMR class 360 there too

Attachments

• VideoCapture_20231209-201108.jpg
    VideoCapture_20231209-201108.jpg
    873.4 KB · Views: 137

Bikeman78

Established Member
Well if a goodly number of cranks turn up one might revise that to "full of hot air"

;)

Especially 'hot air' from the "johnny come latelies" who froth about 319s but spent the past +30 years ignoring them & that is me speaking as a Luton commuter who saw 319s in from new, replacing 317s, and, I was on 319s on their first day (but not first working) in traffic on BedPan (before Thameslink) and saw them right through to the last day, and have +600,000 miles of unit travel / +400,000 miles of actual distance travelled on them. ((400,000 miles over +30 years is not a lot in commuter terms, and my commuting has always been discontinuous through job changing, and never ever more than 3-4 days per week.))

But me appearing before sunrise next Monday is not going to happen. My 'farewell', if there is one, will be Friday evening peak, assuming it all pans out, or, I have already had it, yesterday.

I am doubting I will get up to Northern territory again before they go unless they linger longer than is currently predicted.

769s don't count for this purpose here.
I did my farewell bash last December on the penultimate Northampton. It was a former Connex unit and, surprise, the heaters were not working.

Regarding lastminute.coms, that seems to happen with most trains. Don't get it myself. I've never bothered with 465s, for example, so I doubt I'll turn up for the last one.

On Moderation
Regarding lastminute.coms, that seems to happen with most trains. Don't get it myself. I've never bothered with 465s, for example, so I doubt I'll turn up for the last one.
I don't get it, either. In my view, you either like things or you don't (or are indifferent, I guess) and it doesn't matter if they're 4 months old, 4 years old or 40 years old. Must be depressing just chasing whatever is going next as a "Doom Basher"!

The_Train

Established Member
I don't get it, either. In my view, you either like things or you don't (or are indifferent, I guess) and it doesn't matter if they're 4 months old, 4 years old or 40 years old. Must be depressing just chasing whatever is going next as a "Doom Basher"!
Why is it depressing? I don't like to nail my mast to any type of unit, I like to experience as much variation as I can and so it makes sense to chase the older stock first when it's life on the rails could end at any time. I went to South Wales yesterday and focused my time on sprinters over 197s or GWR IETs because 197s and IETs will probably outlive me whereas, subject to nothing unexpected happening with them or me, sprinters may not do.

On Moderation
Why is it depressing? I don't like to nail my mast to any type of unit, I like to experience as much variation as I can and so it makes sense to chase the older stock first when it's life on the rails could end at any time. I went to South Wales yesterday and focused my time on sprinters over 197s or GWR IETs because 197s and IETs will probably outlive me whereas, subject to nothing unexpected happening with them or me, sprinters may not do.
Depressing - because you're forever going where the grim reaper is heading next!

Bikeman78

Established Member
That's rather different to turning out in droves for the last day. I racked up thousands of miles on class 317s in their last two years. In that time I doubt I saw five other enthusiasts. Granted not all of them are obvious but there are plenty of clues. There must have been over 100 people on the last day on the Hertfords which consisted of fairly average runs to Hertford East on a horrible hot sweaty day. I had many better runs to Cambridge and Stansted, not to mention Ipswich.

The_Train

Established Member
Depressing - because you're forever going where the grim reaper is heading next!
So I should ignore the old stock that's due to go and just focus on the new stock that 'should' be around for the next 30-40 years? It's definitely a rush to get the new stuff in :lol:
That's rather different to turning out in droves for the last day. I racked up thousands of miles on class 317s in their last two years. In that time I doubt I saw five other enthusiasts. Granted not all of them are obvious but there are plenty of clues. There must have been over 100 people on the last day on the Hertfords which consisted of fairly average runs to Hertford East on a horrible hot sweaty day. I had many better runs to Cambridge and Stansted, not to mention Ipswich.
Final days of any stock will always attract extra numbers

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Any scrap moves for these planned this week? 3 working days, and no Merseyrail or Northern moves planned.

Poyntz

Any scrap moves for these planned this week? 3 working days, and no Merseyrail or Northern moves planned.
Given that Sims had 16 vehicles last week & it's holidays, not surprising that nothing's planned.

5Q76 07 47 XND Sims Tuesday 2 January

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.