• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 321 storage/scrapping

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

3973EXL

Established Member
5Q25 1205 Gascoigne Wood - Booths reported elsewhere as 37800 321405/445

3973EXL

Established Member
Last edited:

Ewan M

321903 + 322484 have been given a stay of execution. Today’s scrap move didn’t take place

Class360/1

I could understand that if a unit were going to another operator, or off lease to be stored, but it seems a bit pointless when it's heading straight to the shredder.
They have to return it to the rosco all nice and clean… they removed graffiti from a southern 455, as bonkers as that seems

Wivenswold

Established Member
I wonder if it's like taking a hire car back. TOC Manager stands in front of a dent while ROSCO bloke walks around with a clipboard tutting.

skyhigh

Established Member
They have to return it to the rosco all nice and clean…
That very much depends on that the contract says. If it's known the unit is going straight for scrap then that's taken into consideration. See for example Northern 142s - pretty much straight from service to the scrapyard, no remedial work.
What does 'decommissioning' involve? I thought everything was scrapped under a total destruction order.
I expect it's more likely to be removal of standard parts such as TPWS control units, GSMR, OTMR rather than cleaning and debranding units...