• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 321 storage/scrapping

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Neptune

Established Member
Is that the /9s extinct then?
I can still see 902 rolling through Leeds station brand new and all shiny. Then I spent 25 years working them before their transfer south. It’s actually quite a sad moment because I always enjoyed working the dusty bins.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
I can still see 902 rolling through Leeds station brand new and all shiny. Then I spent 25 years working them before their transfer south. It’s actually quite a sad moment because I always enjoyed working the dusty bins.
And I can remember making a special journey up to Doncaster/Leeds to see out the last of the 307's (in WYPTE Metro train branded livery) and capture the second of the 321/9's, 902 in the same colour scheme as new. The yellow end wrap around the cab did look a bit odd compared to the yellow panel only end of it's NSE cousins

D365

Veteran Member
Should I be surprised/saddened that nobody in Yorkshire managed to hold on to a 321 driving trailer?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Should I be surprised/saddened that nobody in Yorkshire managed to hold on to a 321 driving trailer?
I mentioned upthread that one would have been an ideal exhibit for the ill-fated Transperience museum at Low Moor. Perhaps that museum would have been more successful if Low Moor station had already been open?

Ewan M

Sims now starting to chop up 321903 + 322484 it seems.

Have we got a date set for the last journey of 322483 + 322485?

43102EMR

Established Member
Heard rumours there are plans for part of one of the last remaining 322s to (hopefully) be preserved by the East Anglia Railway Museum - hope that actually does come to fruition!

Ewan M

Heard rumours there are plans for part of one of the last remaining 322s to (hopefully) be preserved by the East Anglia Railway Museum - hope that actually does come to fruition!
Fingers crossed that will be the case otherwise the 322s are facing extinction

43102EMR

Established Member
Fingers crossed that will be the case otherwise the 322s are facing extinction
If it isn’t, it is what it is - the fact they survived this long after being made redundant by numerous operators is quite impressive for a micro fleet.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
The whole thing or just a driving trailer to couple with the 317 driving trailer?

DustyBin

Established Member
Is it just me, or do others feel there's something rather niche and irrelevant about preserving any of this fleet, let alone a 322? It just seems like an incredible wasteful distraction.

No more so than any other slidey door EMU; they’re all “niche” really.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
If it isn’t, it is what it is - the fact they survived this long after being made redundant by numerous operators is quite impressive for a micro fleet.
How much of a micro fleet are they though? They're pretty much identical to the rest of the 321s bar a few detail differences. It would be a bit odd if a 322 (or part of one) is saved but nothing of the much larger 321 fleet is.

43102EMR

Established Member
How much of a micro fleet are they though? They're pretty much identical to the rest of the 321s bar a few detail differences. It would be a bit odd if a 322 (or part of one) is saved but nothing of the much larger 321 fleet is.
I’ve heard the reason the EARM want part of one is because of their links as being the first trains on the Stansted Express; again these are just rumours - might happen, might not.

PHWO

Dear All,

Post 1282 from April shows that 321406 went to Worksop Yard - can anybody confirm if a) it's still there and b) if it is visible from any public viewpoint? As far as I can tell from trying to follow every move on this thread, it's the only blue one up there?

Thanks for your help,

Phil

TheHovisKid

Don't suppose you know anything about what looked like lights, which appeared later in the front skirt?

Roger B

I saw a pair of blue 321/322s over the far side of Ilford depot today, as I passed by on a train to Seven Kings.

Crossover

Established Member
The initial 321s that went straight to scrap were stripped of parts that could be used for dilaps on the subsequent units that were returned to Eversholt for storage. In addition, working equipment that would be useful for corrective maintenance of obsolete systems on the remaining trains in service were stripped for spares - e.g. CCTV equipment and gsmr handsets come to mind. Parts were also stripped for use on other similar fleets on behalf of the RoSCo.
Units going to scrap didn't get dilap work and were not debranded before leaving as it would be a waste if time / money. They did get decommissioned before leaving for scrap - empty fluids, remove CCTV hard drives, remove dets, etc, and received an FTR immediately prior to being dead hauled to to the scrappers.
Units going to storage received dilaps work, debranding, storage prep and an FTR
What does FTR stand for please?

Further to my comment yesterday, the ex-Northerns are all withdrawn.
Looks like the Renatus units have been back out to play on the Southend Vic line over the last few days.
Seems strange to think in a way - it is only a year ago since I had 322483 on the Harwich branch!