• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 322s at ScotRail

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotsman

Established Member
Scot-Rail reports that the final Class 322 workings on the North Berwick route took place this morning. The final working was 2Y39 0756 North Berwick - Glasgow Central.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RyanB

I saw a 322 passing Haymarket this morning at approx 8.45, heading towards North Berwick, I don't know if it was empty but might that have been the final working of a 322 here in Scotland?

scotsman

Established Member
I saw a 322 passing Haymarket this morning at approx 8.45, heading towards North Berwick, I don't know if it was empty but might that have been the final working of a 322 here in Scotland?

More likely heading for Craigie if the 0756 to GLC was the last one

RyanB

The more I think about it I realise I was talking rubbish, if it was heading to wards Craggie then it would be heading towards Waverly, it was heading away from Waverly and it took the tracks that the Shotts service takes when they pull into/out of Haymarket so it may well have been heading towards Glasgow Central, however, it seems odd though that it more than 45 minutes to get from North Berwick to Haymarket. I'm now very confused and think that my head may just decide to splode at any moment.

MacCookie

The more I think about it I realise I was talking rubbish, if it was heading to wards Craggie then it would be heading towards Waverly, it was heading away from Waverly and it took the tracks that the Shotts service takes when they pull into/out of Haymarket so it may well have been heading towards Glasgow Central, however, it seems odd though that it more than 45 minutes to get from North Berwick to Haymarket. I'm now very confused and think that my head may just decide to splode at any moment.

2Y39 is booked to arrive at Haymarket at 08:37.

http://www.scotrail.co.uk/timetables-routes/1021/1041/2011/summer

Ewan

Aictos

Established Member
I will though especially if Northern do away with the pleasing pink interior, :)

Anyway with reference to their sister class (320s), I hope the next time I'm in Scotland I can catch a refurbished 320 in service - probably anytime between now and December.

scotsman

Established Member
I will though especially if Northern do away with the pleasing pink interior, :)

Anyway with reference to their sister class (320s), I hope the next time I'm in Scotland I can catch a refurbished 320 in service - probably anytime between now and December.

At least they've got toilets, I soon learned to hate them when I had to go from Helensburgh to Partick on a semi-fast and needed to go!

Eng274

I'm gutted I never got a proper go on a 322, I was on one briefly from Haymarket to waverley when Fife services were cut short at platform 0 during the major track rebuilding at Waverley.. How mechanically similar are the 320s to 322s? I know they're undergoing major work to make them 90mph-capable, have their traction equipment been uprated as well?

scotsman

Established Member
I'm gutted I never got a proper go on a 322, I was on one briefly from Haymarket to waverley when Fife services were cut short at platform 0 during the major track rebuilding at Waverley.. How mechanically similar are the 320s to 322s? I know they're undergoing major work to make them 90mph-capable, have their traction equipment been uprated as well?

You missed nothing, 3+2 seating crammed into space for 2+2 seating. Toilets in 1 coach only. Very noisy pantograph coach and jolting in the other 3 coaches.

I have some nice archive shots of them though...

Eng274

You missed nothing, 3+2 seating crammed into space for 2+2 seating. Toilets in 1 coach only. Very noisy pantograph coach and jolting in the other 3 coaches.

The noisy panto coach is obvious now I think about, they fly past my flat and scarcely make a peep until the panto coach passes. They look rather threadbare under the floor in non-panto coaches, is the traction only provided by the panto car..?

One toilet in a 4-coach train is pretty poor as well, I imagine they'll need some drastic work to make them 2020-proof.

Last edited by a moderator:

scotsman

Established Member
The noisy panto coach is obvious now I think about, they fly past my flat and scarcely make a peep until the panto coach passes. They look rather threadbare under the floor in non-panto coaches, is the traction only provided by the panto car..?

One toilet in a 4-coach train is pretty poor as well, I imagine they'll need some drastic work to make them 2020-proof.

Two toilets, opposite each other. AFAIK, there's no traction coming from anything other than the pan coach. As for disabled pax....well, able-bodied folk wanting to sit come first...:(

fgwrich

Established Member

Though having been the joy (sacasm!) of an unrefurbished 322 several years ago - id rather have had one with a 'pretty pink interior' :lol: As they hadnt had a refurbishment since new, the interior was pretty tired and at least the Pretty Pink interior with the 3+2 seats did may them look and feel slightly better, as opposed to the original green carpet? and stripy blue seat covers on non exsistent padding (dust and sponge i think) - bit like Northerns seat cover design if i remember:|

(though at the end of the day, its really only a 321)

:lol:

jopsuk

Veteran Member

The 322, being just a 321 that was numbered differently, is the same as a 317 (which has a gangway front end) with just one in four coaches powered. Damn noisy in the pantograph coach, actually quite a quiet ride in the rest. 455 and 319, being of the same family, similarly just have the one powered vehicle.

Other than the small number of 317/7s, there's a huge fleet of 317s and 321s that have the same toilet arrangement.

alexf380

Established Member
I will miss the 322s, Been on my local line for ages and have always been reliable (as far as I can remember). the new 380s look good tho!

tom1649

You can't beat the loud buzz from the pantograph coach and the sound of the DC motors. However, I can appreciate your average passenger may find it irritating.

Part of the reason I got into railways in the first place was some of the wonderful noises the trains made. Sadly many of these are just memories now.

Scotrail84

Established Member
Ta Ta 322s, no more bolting to the back cab the open the doors. Hooray!:D

I will miss the bells though:(

scotsman

Established Member
Ta Ta 322s, no more bolting to the back cab the open the doors. Hooray!:D

I will miss the bells though:(

I'll miss the bells, I've managed to get some nice archive shots of them though. By the way, is your avatar taken from the rear cab heading down the hill into NBW?

I have been on a 321 only once (15 mins wakefield to leeds) but i sat in the pantograph coach and it really was deafening. Next time i will sit in an end carriage. My ears were buzzing when i got off. The 333's on the other hand are much quieter.

tom1649

I have been on a 321 only once (15 mins wakefield to leeds) but i sat in the pantograph coach and it really was deafening. Next time i will sit in an end carriage. My ears were buzzing when i got off. The 333's on the other hand are much quieter.

Come now, the buzzing is the best thing about them!

MCR247

Established Member
Have you read the first post...?

Would that not answer it...?

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Class 322s were nice to North Berwick - I only ever used them once but they were great both times. I have used 380s too, but, given the choice, I would go for the 322.

tbtc

Veteran Member
Come now, the buzzing is the best thing about them!

This is the great thing about enthusiasts - we complain that DMU-based units like Voyagers are too noisy, yet want to sit in the noisiest coach on other services (e.g. right behind the front power car on an HST, in the panto-coach on an EMU)...

Established Member
This is the great thing about enthusiasts - we complain that DMU-based units like Voyagers are too noisy, yet want to sit in the noisiest coach on other services (e.g. right behind the front power car on an HST, in the panto-coach on an EMU)...
Its a choice though - don't get that with a DMU. Describing a 321 as 'deafening' appears to be from another planet anyway!

The_Stig

322's are basically 320's with an additonal coach that has 2 toilets in it and beefier motors.

320's haven't had anything upgraded traction motor wise, just lateral dampers and upgraded WSP electronics and a few electronic links added/removed. They were always 90mph capable, just not set-up to utilise it.

Status
Not open for further replies.