• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 331 at Stoke-on-Trent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Seems daft to split it, but presumably the alternative would have been cancelling a service out of Manchester the next morning due to the unit not being in place (which, if it's a Stoke service, really has to be avoided at all costs in my opinion because of the very low frequency Sunday service).

I have actually seen the whole length of a 6-car set on the Stoke line that busy, but only once, on a northbound Saturday service during some major event in Manchester if I recall. By Heaton Chapel people were being turned away as they were physically unable to board.

At least Heaton Chapel and Levenshulme have frequent alternative options into Manchester.
Stoke may get an hourly stopping service to Manchester on Sundays by 2026, a decade after it was first mooted.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
If there's one train that needs some help (6 car please!) it's the Saturday 21:46 Manchester to Stoke (last train to anywhere south of Macclesfield on a Saturday)

Had the 'pleasure' of it on Easter Saturday - came in late from Hadfield as a 6 car set, cue everyone piling on only to be told it's splitting to a single 3-car set.
Pictures attached show p5 before it came in as well as "boarding" (read: stampede) at MAN, with the quieter images being taken just after departing Macclesfield.
That 2146 service was 6 car for a while post-COVID and was definitely required around key holiday seasons. Quite a few of the Stoke services were 6 car on Saturday’s too.

Why was a 6 car on the Hadfield - most of the platforms can only take 4 coaches since the lengthening project?

At least Heaton Chapel and Levenshulme have frequent alternative options into Manchester.
Stoke may get an hourly stopping service to Manchester on Sundays by 2026, a decade after it was first mooted.
I’d be amazed if an hourly service appears by 2026 - the current strikes, the treasury cut backs and lack of 7 day working make it quite unlikely, there’d need to be some kind of breakthrough on all fronts.

Heaton Chapel and Levenshume have gaps of 3-4 hours presently on Sundays at times and there doesn’t seem to be any urgency to fix it looking at recent GMCA meetings.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Heaton Chapel and Levenshume have gaps of 3-4 hours presently on Sundays at times and there doesn’t seem to be any urgency to fix it looking at recent GMCA meetings.

Strangely only going into Manchester. The Buxton service provides hourly coming back.

py_megapixel

Established Member
To be fair from Heaton Chapel and Levenshulme, the railway will never be able to compete with the 192 bus in frequency terms, unless perhaps it converted the slow lines into some sort of high-frequency metro operation. The journey times are longer, but not absolutely ridiculous, and on a Sunday the bus could hopefully expect a reasonably clear run without hitting too much traffic.

agbrs_Jack

Why was a 6 car on the Hadfield - most of the platforms can only take 4 coaches since the lengthening project?
That is unusual as some platforms won't take more than 3 coaches.

I believe some form of disruption meant 2 sets ended up at the Hadfield end which both needed to be in Manchester, one was likely locked out.

I’d be amazed if an hourly service appears by 2026 - the current strikes, the treasury cut backs and lack of 7 day working make it quite unlikely, there’d need to be some kind of breakthrough on all fronts.

Yet Styal (nothing there!) gets an hourly Sunday service and has had one for nearly 5 years now. The Crewe line also gets far later Saturday trains than Stoke...

Status
Not open for further replies.