• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 345 progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

samuelmorris

Established Member
Aboard 005 now, good to see the drivers microphone has been fixed properly, disappointing to see the PIS audio stutter has reverted to its original state from last year. This particular vehicle also appears to have regenerative braking disabled, resulting in some squeaky brakes...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
I have oddly not seen any 345s this morning - have they been stood down this morning for whatever reason? Or is it just that I am just in the wrong places at the wrong time to spot 345s?

Just seeing 315 after 315, not that I am complaining!

iphone76

Aboard 005 now, good to see the drivers microphone has been fixed properly, disappointing to see the PIS audio stutter has reverted to its original state from last year. This particular vehicle also appears to have regenerative braking disabled, resulting in some squeaky brakes...

All 345s currently have their regenerative braking disabled.

SPADTrap

Established Member
One passed me at Kettering being dragged north by a 37. Bombardier quality as usual.

prod_pep

Established Member
The 345s still seem to be struggling. At least three suffered from faults today, two of which resulted in cancellations (345010 was one).

Meanwhile, at least 22 Class 315s (and probably more) were in traffic this PM peak. There were nine consecutive 315 sets at one point. I saw 6 of the 345s in service.

Established Member
The 345s still seem to be struggling. At least three suffered from faults today, two of which resulted in cancellations (345010 was one).

Meanwhile, at least 22 Class 315s (and probably more) were in traffic this PM peak. There were nine consecutive 315 sets at one point. I saw 6 of the 345s in service.
Yeah the Twitter desk mentioned various faults with the doors on 345s and also air conditioning problems as they are really weak.

samuelmorris

Established Member
Having ridden 345s several times last summer I can verify the A/C is not weak. Perhaps that post is intended to imply it's unreliable, I'm not sure. I think at the moment they're minimising the mileage on the units and withdrawing them for any minor defects simply because they can, there are plenty of 315s around they can still use. Once the tunnels open and use of 345s is enforced, I think it's unlikely that fleet availability will be as bad as current performance suggests.

hwl

Established Member
I believe that would of been yesterday, it is going for storage till further testing is required on the heathrow branch.
Does that mean testing on the Heathrow Branch has stopped for the time being or is the unit going to Old Dalby for some off Heathrow branch testing?
Or has everyone just given up on getting ETCS to work on the Heathrow Branch?

Aventra

Does that mean testing on the Heathrow Branch has stopped for the time being or is the unit going to Old Dalby for some off Heathrow branch testing?
Or has everyone just given up on getting ETCS to work on the Heathrow Branch?

I believe they only have certain slots to test it due to the fact the line has to be closed to allow the train to fully test the ETCS signalling. I believe they have some slots in a few weeks.

sd0733

Established Member
345034 is currently heading south down the wcml being hauled by a europhoenix 37. Just passed it heading south between Nuneaton and rugby.

DJames

I can just about see a 345 parked south of Crewe Station, not sure what one it was, if only I had binoculars. :D

Last edited:

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I can just about see a 345 parked south of Crewe Station, not sure what one it was, if only I had binoculars. :D
That's 345 028. I went past it twice today.

In fact, looking at the time of your post, you will have seen my train go past you. I was on 390 011 at 16.29...

DJames

That's 345 028. I went past it twice today.

In fact, looking at the time of your post, you will have seen my train go past you. I was on 390 011 at 16.29...

Yup, you would've passed me then, I was waiting for the delayed 1W16 to take me back up into Stockport, so I plonked myself on a free seat on the platform and had an ice cream.

DidcotDickie

Status
Not open for further replies.