• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 345 progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

AM9

Veteran Member
Your original point was that the 345s would be faster than anything previously. That's not feasible.
So before the line was electrified, which regular stopper or intermediate service was quicker than Crossrail will be?

I hope you never require the assistance of a voluntary organisation - ever. You clearly are above all that.
Commuter pressure group are just that, i.e. self-serving organisations. Voluntary organisations that are created to altruistically benefit a group of disadvantaged persons are something different, and indeed I do support a few chosen ones even though I have never and likely will never need their support.

If you can vote in the next UK General Election, your vote can help remove the party in charge, remove the SoS for Transport and change transport policy. As I don't reside within the Greater London area, I cannot vote for the Mayor or the GLA election. TfL is only really politically accountable to them, not those outside. TfL does what is necessary for London which includes employees that may live way beyond the geographical limits of the GLA. As it happens, the Crossrail service also covers two major rail corridors that extend into two of the Home Counties. The fares may well be (slightly) cheaper on those services for Reading/Maidenhead/Slough residents who would rather get a seat than cram on the inter-city or outer suburban trains. It's their choice. If anybody has a hang-up about not being ablt to vote for the operator of commissioner of about 1/3 of the trains on their local mainline, they don't have to use them. The actions of TfL aren't just felt via Crossrail, - they affect bus services outside as well. I've managed to get over that over 20 years ago when I moved back into the Home Counties.

Well thanks for that patronising lecture on modern day rail transport around London. I'm sure everyone is much better informed by the facts that you've decanted before us. Thanks also for saying that relief lines are called slow lines elsewhere, aw-shucks - I'll bear that in mind when I'm posting on a forum section about trains that aren't even local to me.
I'm quite happy to help, even with quite elementary facts where a poster seems to not understand the few real options that are available to those whose responsibility includes transport provision.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

matt_world2004

Established Member
I hope you never require the assistance of a voluntary organisation - ever. You clearly are
If you can vote in the next UK General Election, your vote can help remove the party in charge, remove the SoS for Transport and change transport policy. As I don't reside within the Greater London area, I cannot vote for the Mayor or the GLA election. TfL is only really politically accountable to them, not those outside.

TfL have steering committees with representatives from county councils that the service passes through so even under a TFL devolved rail structure the council has a greater say in the operation of services than a gwr operated structure

The steering committees have different powers for each line. But one example of the power is when tfl were planning to operate southeastern metro as London Overground Kent CC had the power to block service changes that increased the journey time for kent commuters.

Also if you dont like the 345s there will still be fast gwr services from reading Slough and the like and you can change to a local metro service.

cactustwirly

Established Member
TfL have steering committees with representatives from county councils that the service passes through so even under a TFL devolved rail structure the council has a greater say in the operation of services than a gwr operated structure

The steering committees have different powers for each line. But one example of the power is when tfl were planning to operate southeastern metro as London Overground Kent CC had the power to block service changes that increased the journey time for kent commuters.

Also if you dont like the 345s there will still be fast gwr services from reading Slough and the like and you can change to a local metro service.

The fast trains from Slough are infrequent and very busy, and via Reading is expensive.
We should be able to get a direct train in relative comfort, it really isn't too much to ask, since I can do it today...
The Austrians and Germans can manage it perfecy fine, so I don't see what the issue is (except TfLs hate of everything outside zone 6)

matt_world2004

Established Member
The fast trains from Slough are infrequent and very busy, and via Reading is expensive.
We should be able to get a direct train in relative comfort, it really isn't too much to ask, since I can do it today...
The Austrians and Germans can manage it perfecy fine, so I don't see what the issue is (except TfLs hate of everything outside zone 6)
Via reading is going to be the same price on oyster as going straight from an intermediate station between slough and paddington.

Maidenhead to paddington on CR is also quicker than baker street to uxbridge on the met. And people sit on the s stock for that amount of time without problems.

Last edited:

cactustwirly

Established Member
Via reading is going to be the same price on oyster as going straight from an intermediate station between slough and paddington.

Maidenhead to paddington on CR is also quicker than baker street to uxbridge on the met. And people sit on the s stock for that amount of time without problems.

But the Met line is significantly cheaper than the GWML, and the stations have Chiltern as a viable alternative!
The peak time GWML won't!

matt_world2004

Established Member
But the Met line is significantly cheaper than the GWML, and the stations have Chiltern as a viable alternative!
The peak time GWML won't!
Chiltern runs to uxbridge? the frequency of chiltern trains between harrow on the hill and marylebone is the same as gwr services between ealing broadway and London paddington post elizabeth line

I'm a slightly built male (weigh 7 stone) and the 3x2 seating is too small for me on the class 387 rolling stock. I am more comfortable sitting on the transverse seating of the class 345s. Yes the seats are harder by my shoulders/legs arent being compressed. The majority of the male population is larger than me so the comfort of the 387s must be horrible,

Last edited:

cactustwirly

Established Member
Chiltern runs to uxbridge? the frequency of chiltern trains between harrow on the hill and marylebone is the same as gwr services between ealing broadway and London paddington post elizabeth line

Look at the fares, Uxbridge to London is £5 but Taplow to London is £21.50.
However if it's going to be the same price as Reading to London then it'll be £40!

The GWR service doesn't run in the peaks, replaced by an extra 2tph on Crossrail, and doesn't really serve Taplow...

samuelmorris

Established Member
A few points based on recent posts - that Marlow-Maidenhead association poster states 'Only 450 seats' - as far as I know, 8-car 387s have even fewer than that do they not? The only time that'd be a legitimate complaint would be when the 387s were operating in 12-car formation which I understand is not that often.

As for the fares argument, as far as we know, TfL haven't said what the fares west of West Drayton will be yet have they? I'm rather hoping stations as far as Slough make it into the extended zones 7-9 as they're a similar distance out to Brentwood. Beyond that, we'll have to see how they fit them in with the zone count limitation of the Oyster system.
Certainly, it would be a good idea to offer reduced fares travelling on TfL services out to Reading vs. the GWR semi-fasts & fasts as frankly that route is very expensive per mile compared to its adjacent counterparts, at least during the peak.

For 345s vs 700s, I don't see a big difference to be honest. Both have firm seats that brought complaints, the 345s may be slightly firmer still but they don't have the severe legroom issues a lot of 700s have, either front-to-back with the seat pitch, or left-to-right with the obtrusive ducting on the floor.
Most 700s still aren't getting seatback tables for the foreseeable future and 345s will still have WiFi. Both are air-conditioned and both ride fairly similarly in my experience. The only real benefit of a 700 over a 345 is the toilers, and that really is it. Is that alone enough to classify 700s as 'interurban' and 345s as 'subway' trains? Not really.
Neither 315s or 345s are ideal for long journeys. Neither have particularly nice seats in my opinion, the 315s are softer but too low-backed to really be comfortable. That said, both are 'sufficient' for the 40 minute journey into Central London. I know this because, when seated, I've taken fairly comfortable journeys where I've been able to doze off... until I get robbed, but that's another story!
All you need to do is attempt to board a 315 at Stratford in the evening peak and you'll see why the 345 layout is as it is. Use the Central line anywhere in Zone 1 in either peak and you'll see the same. I can't speak for how crowded the GW side will be having recently upgraded from 3-car DMUs, but even disregarding that, the part-longitudinal configuration of 345s is an absolute necessity, that's just the way it is.
People travelling from Twyford, Maidenhead etc. still have the option to travel with GWR for a more express-oriented service, with the downside of changing at Paddington. If you want the convenience of a direct service into the middle of Zone 1, you put up with the shortcomings of 345s. It seems like a very fair choice to me.

matt_world2004

Established Member
Look at the fares, Uxbridge to London is £5 but Taplow to London is £21.50.
However if it's going to be the same price as Reading to London then it'll be £40!

The GWR service doesn't run in the peaks, replaced by an extra 2tph on Crossrail, and doesn't really serve Taplow...

So the argument isn't about comfort but a form of elitism the argument that reading commuters will not tolerate sitting for the same journey time as Uxbridge commuters because they pay more... If you think the fares are too high between these locations contact your rail user group or your local MP which may or may not include the prime minister to raise your concerns.

cactustwirly

Established Member
So the argument isn't about comfort but a form of elitism the argument that reading commuters will not tolerate sitting for the same journey time as Uxbridge commuters because they pay more... If you think the fares are too high between these locations contact your rail user group or your local MP which may or may not include the prime minister to raise your concerns.

No it's about value for money, if I'm paying £20 I expect a lot more than if I'm paying £5.
You can sort of understand the 'Reading Commuters elitism' when you look at the extortionate fares!

matt_world2004

Established Member
No it's about value for money, if I'm paying £20 I expect a lot more than if I'm paying £5.
You can sort of understand the 'Reading Commuters elitism' when you look at the extortionate fares!

Except for the reading commuters comfort people west of Hayes & Harlington cannot board the trains that they have paid to board in the peaks. You can understand the frustration of Southall commuters who are not getting the service they have paid for so reading commuters can have more "comfort".

As for the fares argument, as far as we know, TfL haven't said what the fares west of West Drayton will be yet have they? I'm rather hoping stations as far as Slough make it into the extended zones 7-9 as they're a similar distance out to Brentwood. Beyond that, we'll have to see how they fit them in with the zone count limitation of the Oyster system.
Certainly, it would be a good idea to offer reduced fares travelling on TfL services out to Reading vs. the GWR semi-fasts & fasts as frankly that route is very expensive per mile compared to its adjacent counterparts, at least during the peak.

My Understanding is that CR cannot have a seperate fare structure for services it shares with other franchised operators. this is why the PayGo fare is slightly higher on the shenfield line than other TfL lines. Also the financial issues at TfL mean that they are unlikely to reduce fares significantly when CR starts. As long as the revenue is similarly to what they are getting now GwR are not going to have a problem with oyster usage on the fast reading services. SwR on the other hand...

You may get a reduction in pay as you go fares of 10-20p which would the reduced ticket administration costs of oyster but dont expect anything more than that. Theresa May will be able to travel to her maidenhead constituency on CR only on her over 60 pass though , that is until she loses her London address.

Last edited:

samuelmorris

Established Member
Uxbridge is clearly nowhere near as far as Reading, though. A Zone 1-6 fare from Baker Street to Uxbridge works out at 34.9ppm. A Zone 1-9 fare to Amersham 32.7ppm. A Zone 1-9 fare to Brentwood 43.4ppm, out to Shenfield 46.0ppm due to the fares being set by Greater Anglia (thus, you could be using a fast service for the same fare).
Currently, half an anytime return fare to Reading is 66.4ppm, which I agree is disproportionate. We'll see what TfL do with that, though. I don't think this is a valid argument to be having until pricing for the Western section is actually released.

cactustwirly

Established Member
A few points based on recent posts - that Marlow-Maidenhead association poster states 'Only 450 seats' - as far as I know, 8-car 387s have even fewer than that do they not? The only time that'd be a legitimate complaint would be when the 387s were operating in 12-car formation which I understand is not that often.

For 345s vs 700s, I don't see a big difference to be honest. Both have firm seats that brought complaints, the 345s may be slightly firmer still but they don't have the severe legroom issues a lot of 700s have, either front-to-back with the seat pitch, or left-to-right with the obtrusive ducting on the floor.
Most 700s still aren't getting seatback tables for the foreseeable future and 345s will still have WiFi. Both are air-conditioned and both ride fairly similarly in my experience. The only real benefit of a 700 over a 345 is the toilers, and that really is it. Is that alone enough to classify 700s as 'interurban' and 345s as 'subway' trains? Not really.
Neither 315s or 345s are ideal for long journeys. Neither have particularly nice seats in my opinion, the 315s are softer but too low-backed to really be comfortable. That said, both are 'sufficient' for the 40 minute journey into Central London. I know this because, when seated, I've taken fairly comfortable journeys where I've been able to doze off... until I get robbed, but that's another story!
All you need to do is attempt to board a 315 at Stratford in the evening peak and you'll see why the 345 layout is as it is. Use the Central line anywhere in Zone 1 in either peak and you'll see the same. I can't speak for how crowded the GW side will be having recently upgraded from 3-car DMUs, but even disregarding that, the part-longitudinal configuration of 345s is an absolute necessity, that's just the way it is.
People travelling from Twyford, Maidenhead etc. still have the option to travel with GWR for a more express-oriented service, with the downside of changing at Paddington. If you want the convenience of a direct service into the middle of Zone 1, you put up with the shortcomings of 345s. It seems like a very fair choice to me.

The 700s have more transverse seats, and more luggage space, which makes them more suitable for the outer suburban services on the GWML.
As I said, it's all about compromise, and I think the 700s achieve this well (if you remove the first class)
My problem is about the longitundinal seats, I sat in them for 10 minutes and they were very uncomfortable, so sitting in them for the 50 minute journey to Maidenhead must be torture!
Trust me I would take those 3 car DMUs any day of the week over the 345s.
I would be happier if TfL adjusted the layout, adding transverse seats in all coaches, and having a layout which has more of them.

cactustwirly

Established Member
Except for the reading commuters comfort people west of Hayes & Harlington cannot board the trains that they have paid to board in the peaks. You can understand the frustration of Southall commuters who are not getting the service they have paid for so reading commuters can have more "comfort".

Eh?
Reading commuters would use the fast trains anyway.
There are other users to consider than those at Southall, if they aren't happy they can use the tube instead!
People in Slough/Burnham/Taplow/Maidenhead don't have any other option bar the train.

samuelmorris

Established Member
What use are more transverse seats if nobody likes them though? The complaints about those seats are seemingly unending. I'm less vocal about them than many, but the only reason transverse seats are 'good' are because they increase the level of comfort. Frankly, being able to stretch my legs out a little on 345s, in my opinion, makes them similarly comfortable. It'd be great if all the seats were like the transverse ones fitted to 345s, but if they were, trying to use the core section in busy times would be hell because the trains would be fully laden. You may well prefer a 3-car DMU to a 345, but surely you wouldn't prefer no train at all on account of not being able to board as the service was full? Crossrail isn't intended to bring luxury to the railway, it's intended to make it tolerably functional, so there's actually enough capacity for people to board trains in the first place, and provide direct connections to central London tube stations without needing to change onto the deep tube. If you're travelling from Reading and would prefer to travel into the high-level station, you're still more than welcome to do so, 800s, 387, or even 701 if you don't care about the journey time, take your pick.

Don't forget the 9-car 345s will have two additional coaches featuring transverse seats versus the 7-car iterations of today. The only fully-longitudinal coaches will remain the driving vehicles and the centre trailer.

Slough, Burnham and Taplow are no further from Paddington in terms of journey time than I am from Liverpool Street. I'd still take a 345 over a 315, even in winter, because boarding a completely full 315 is no fun at all.

matt_world2004

Established Member
Eh?
Reading commuters would use the fast trains anyway.
There are other users to consider than those at Southall, if they aren't happy they can use the tube instead!
People in Slough/Burnham/Taplow/Maidenhead don't have any other option bar the train.

What tube services run close to southall? I think the nearest one is hounslow west and thats a 30 -40 minute bus journey in the peak. According to tfl journey planner it takes 1 hour 7 minutes to travel from Southall to Paddington not using TfL Rail or GwR

samuelmorris

Established Member
I suspect he might mean Northolt/Greenford, but still not exactly nearby. That said, it depends on personal circumstances. Despite where I live, I commuted from Upminster for a few years due to the convenience of how it worked out.

matt_world2004

Established Member
I suspect he might mean Northolt/Greenford, but still not exactly nearby. That said, it depends on personal circumstances. Despite where I live, I commuted from Upminster for a few years due to the convenience of how it worked out.

I am really struggling to see the inconvenience being caused here. yes there is a lack of toilets on the train and the seats are longitudinal rather than transverse. but the frequency changes east of Hayes and Harlington mean that it would be quicker to get off a 345 at Hayes or stations east of it, use the toilet and hop on a following 345 than travel on a 387 particularly when travelling to stations east of London.

Subjectively the seat spacing on the 387s is less comfortable for anyone above 5ft 6 and are more difficult to stand up in an area where there is 3x2 seating arrangements. There is a choice of multiple operators from Reading going to Paddington and Waterloo. Also stations like Langley and Taplow are not very salubrious at night when they are essentially unstaffed which will change when the EL launches.

Oyster ticketing means there is likely to be free circulation of passengers travelling to London from Maidenhead and Taplow to reading to catch fast services to paddington I am struggling to see the disadvantage.

samuelmorris

Established Member
It's a hard topic for me to comment on as I find it very difficult to use toilets on a moving vehicle so I prefer to use station toilets anyway, grotty though they often may be. I have to admit I actually found 387s very comfortable when I did a couple of runs down from Farringdon to Haywards Heath in their Thameslink days, moreso than the 700s that replaced them but that's a given. I understand how they can feel cramped though, whereas longitudinal seating really doesn't. It's easy to forget, this isn't longitudinal seating on a tube route where the person opposite you is right in front of you, there's a lot of floorspace in between. If the seats only weren't so damn hard they'd be perfectly comfortable, and that's no fault of the specification, only of the choice of seat material. I do prefer facing forwards/backwards so I can see outside properly, but I've commuted this route for many years and lived along it almost all my life, so the only 'new' bits for me will be the underground section, or the part west of Paddington which I will rarely use. I'm not exactly sightseeing, so the longitudinal seats will do me fine.

hassaanhc

Established Member
Services between Paddington and West Drayton are very busy in the peaks, and especially between Ealing Broadway and Southall/Hayes & Harlington. The 360s (apart from 360205 which simply had the 3rd seats removed with no other changes, making them similar to 700s) and especially the 387s (narrow aisles and not much space around the doors) really do not cope with the crush loads in the peaks. Unfortunately this line also has a big problem with people not using the full length of the train, as the busy stations of Ealing Broadway, Southall, Hayes & Harlington and West Drayton all have their entrance/exit at the country end of the station. To be honest I don't particularly blame them as being at the wrong end means it takes 2-3 minutes longer to leave the platform, even if it is annoying for those at Paddington who have arrived early enough to walk to the front. Station upgrades can't come quickly enough.

matt_world2004

Established Member
Services between Paddington and West Drayton are very busy in the peaks, and especially between Ealing Broadway and Southall/Hayes & Harlington. The 360s (apart from 360205 which simply had the 3rd seats removed with no other changes, making them similar to 700s) and especially the 387s (narrow aisles and not much space around the doors) really do not cope with the crush loads in the peaks. Unfortunately this line also has a big problem with people not using the full length of the train, as the busy stations of Ealing Broadway, Southall, Hayes & Harlington and West Drayton all have their entrance/exit at the country end of the station. To be honest I don't particularly blame them as being at the wrong end means it takes 2-3 minutes longer to leave the platform, even if it is annoying for those at Paddington who have arrived early enough to walk to the front. Station upgrades can't come quickly enough.
It really didnt help that the heathrow connect had a total cancellation rateof 10% because it was propping up the hex.

cactustwirly

Established Member
I am really struggling to see the inconvenience being caused here. yes there is a lack of toilets on the train and the seats are longitudinal rather than transverse. but the frequency changes east of Hayes and Harlington mean that it would be quicker to get off a 345 at Hayes or stations east of it, use the toilet and hop on a following 345 than travel on a 387 particularly when travelling to stations east of London.

Subjectively the seat spacing on the 387s is less comfortable for anyone above 5ft 6 and are more difficult to stand up in an area where there is 3x2 seating arrangements. There is a choice of multiple operators from Reading going to Paddington and Waterloo. Also stations like Langley and Taplow are not very salubrious at night when they are essentially unstaffed which will change when the EL launches.

Oyster ticketing means there is likely to be free circulation of passengers travelling to London from Maidenhead and Taplow to reading to catch fast services to paddington I am struggling to see the disadvantage.

What if you're using a paper ticket?
Or have a large suitcase?

Last edited:

AM9

Veteran Member
You choose the type of ticket that you wish to use.
If you have a large suitcase in the peak, you will have much more chance of actually boarding a busy 345 than a 387 or an 8XX. How many days do you plan to carry your large suitcase on a 'commuter service train' (and how many other passengers would you expect to see similarly burdened)?

AM9

Veteran Member
It seems that elitist Reading commuters really have got a problem with their own self-entitlement. Just compare the "extortionate fares" that they pay compared with others:
Reading to Paddington Anytime travel on an annual season ticket: £0.267 p/m
St Albans to St Pancras Anytime travel on an annual season ticket: £0.385 p/m​
So you and your colleagues who commute into Paddington from Reading should really stop complaining. Not only are they getting much cheaper fares, but they have a choice of class 345, 387 and 8XX trains to choose from. Those lucky enough to travel in from St Albans get class 700/0 and 700/1 to choose from, (and no other practical choice). If you were to look at the 'Thameslink/class 700 progress' thread, its predecessor (which I can't remember the title) or the 'Thameslink Services/Timetable from May 20th' thread, and you will see as much if not more complaints about those trains as have been expressed by a few on this thread.

Ethano92

S stock seats are actually soft though...
I like the longitudinal seating, I love how the 345s can swallow up crowds at Stratford even when there have been delays. I get the need for longitudinal seating. with 3 doors per carriage, you don't have to worry about not being able to get off too. The problem I have is just how hard the seats are. I had to make a trip on one from Liverpool Street to Gidea park just yesterday and although i could stretch out, the seat was just rock hard.

I am tall, and i do have legroom issues with the 700s. I often have to 'manspread' to sit without burying my knees into the seat in front however, 700s it actually have some padding whereas the 345s have none. And it's not a matter of them softening up, they have no padding whatsoever.

A few years ago, we got the S stock which in my opinion actually has comfortable seats, they're genuinely soft and I could happily sit on one from Ealing to upminster, why couldn't crossrail get the same as although the average journey times is 20 minutes, that doesn't mean there won't be some longer journeys and im not talking about shenfield-reading but even Romford-heathrow with a change won't be great.

Last edited:

matt_world2004

Established Member
Wouldnt a 345 be more suitable for large suitcases due to the large amount of wheelchair and buggy space that is unlikely to be completely used particularly west of Paddington. A full peak 387 its going to be a struggle to get suitcases into anywhere apart from the overhead luggage racks because often people are sitting in the seat and floor level ones.

Also when oyster was introduced to shenfield paper tickets had easements introduced allowing paper brentwood -beyond stratford tickets to be used at shenfield for interchange.

samuelmorris

Established Member
It seems that elitist Reading commuters really have got a problem with their own self-entitlement. Just compare the "extortionate fares" that they pay compared with others:
So you and your colleagues who commute into Paddington from Reading should really stop complaining. Not only are they getting much cheaper fares, but they have a choice of class 345, 387 and 8XX trains to choose from. Those lucky enough to travel in from St Albans get class 700/0 and 700/1 to choose from, (and no other practical choice). If you were to look at the 'Thameslink/class 700 progress' thread, its predecessor (which I can't remember the title) or the 'Thameslink Services/Timetable from May 20th' thread, and you will see as much if not more complaints about those trains as have been expressed by a few on this thread.
That does change the argument somewhat, I had no idea the season ticket discounts on the GW were so significant, less than half the day return price? Damn...

I agree re: S stock seats, I'd hold the 345s in much higher regard if they had those seats, though admittedly the actual shape of the transverse seats plus them having armrests renders them superior to the transverse seating on S8s. If the transverse seats had at least a 387-level of padding, preferably 360/450 levels, and the longitudinal seats were based on S-stock or 378 seats, that'd be pretty much perfect.

cactustwirly

Established Member

But an Anytime day TC from St Alban's is half the price of one from Reading
I've been on 700s and I would be happy with those, a lot more suitable than 345s
A lot of people have laptop bags etc, so the luggage racks on 387s are very well used IME.
Overhead luggage racks wouldn't affect the overall capacity of 345s, so I don't understand why they aren't fitted.
Btw I don't commute from Reading, but I use peak time trains from Maidenhead.
I don't think there is any elitism, because the intercity trains are the only viable way to get from London to Reading in the peaks

Last edited:

Ethano92

Most likely not fitted so advertisements can be put instead. Remember, TFL is doing that "big 6" advertisment thing when the Elizabeth line first opens this year, I think it's the reason why current advertising spaces are just filled with artworks to promote the train you're sitting on.

AM9

Veteran Member
But an Anytime day TC from St Alban's is half the price of one from Reading ...
Reading is almost twice as far from central London as St Albans, and over three times the distance from Zone 6 (West Drayton) that St Albans is (Elstree). The travelcard element being the same.
I must admit, you do seem to have an unusual commuter demographic at Reading, i.e. carrying heavy suitcases and travelling on full priced Anytime tickets. Has anybody ever told them about the subsidy that season tickets get from Anytime sales?

Status
Not open for further replies.