• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 37 Return

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
This has just been posted on wnxx. I am sure it will interest a lot you you

37692 circulated this around the UK Rail gen list this afternoon. I thought it might be worth repeating here...

Just to clear a few things up.

EWS 37042, 37503, 37521 and 37516 are all undergoing repair at Doncaster for a return.

37109 has been stared at Hither Green,

37698, 37428, 37698, 37675 and 37692 at Margam are out of the scrap lies and will also be repaired for a return to use.

37670 is inside the shed at Temple Mills undergoing repairs, while 37411 has finished its exam at Temple Mills and will be off to Wales.

37669 at Bescot is inside the shed receiving attention.

37517, 37410, 37676, 37668 and 37689 at Healey Mills were also being looked at and had EWS men around them HOWEVER it is unknown the circumstances with these locomotives.

37405 will shortly be moving from Old Oak Common to Toton by rail, for repairs, 37405 will receive the generator and any other parts needed from 37422. while 37422 will be gaining 37408's engine, generator and all other parts it needs to allow 37422 to return to use. 37402 also at Toton should return - although it will be getting the bogies from 37408.

Also other reinstatements in the pipeline include 37421 and 37416 at Motherwell and Crewe, the latter is a runner.

EWS have now changed there policy on the class 37/4's so now engine hours aren't an issue for them, hence the return to use of 37428, 37427's exam for return, 37411 and 37419's special exams and 37421's possible comeback are linked with this.

Only RA5 and RA6 examples will be returning, this being from 37/0's to 37/5's, so no heavyweight 37/7's or 37/8's returning for now.

The class 37's should remain in use for a long while when back, due to when the are back several EWS 66's will be taken out of traffic, eventually totaling 50 EWS 66's and then they will be exported across to Europe for work.

The class 37's should be seen on trip workings as well as dealing with light loads and covering branch lines etc... To release EWS class 66's for use on other services. The class 37's should be used countrywide not just in one area.

I hope that helps.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jonb

Established Member
Hmm....Interesting

37109 has certainly been stared in Hither Green as well i'm sure!

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
What does stared actually mean?

Dennis

Established Member
And it gets better, if you believe Rail, 37's will be making a short-term comeback in the Valleys, allegedly 07.44 Ryhmney-Cardiff and 17.01 Cardiff-Rhymney, possibly with 47843 being used for initial runs. :hello1:

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Dennis said:
And it gets better, if you believe Rail, 37's will be making a short-term comeback in the Valleys, allegedly 07.44 Ryhmney-Cardiff and 17.01 Cardiff-Rhymney, possibly with 47843 being used for initial runs. :hello1:

47s have already returned to the Valleys with those trains you mentioned. 37411 is heading back to South Wales so it might take over

Julian G

Established Member
is 37408--> Loch Rannoch?
it would be great to see it back in the BR blue livery :)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Now my drool buckets are filling quickly...

Keep us posted, although I may respond on the forum there too. Pity I'm looking likely to missing 47843 on the Rhymneys listed in an earlier post.

37s returning to Rhymney, swe-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-t!

EDIT: And yes, by the above I am still ranking 37s highly, as opposed to previously stated opinion.

Sprog

Established Member
Arnt you lot getting bored of 37s!?.....................

richa2002

Established Member
The sheep have had their fair share of 37s! Send them through Harpenden :D

Julian G

Established Member
i'm lucky i get a fair share of 37s thrashing down the WLL hauling a 373

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
Richard Armstrong said:
The sheep have had their fair share of 37s! Send them through Harpenden :D
hell we haven't! bring it on! if they are sending EWS 66's abroad - then bring it on some more, I'm sick of the sight of them lol!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Too damn right! Anything is better than 66s TBH!

That trip to Oban revived my love of the 37, bring on more 37 bashing!

Sprog

Established Member
FGWFan said:
Too damn right! Anything is better than 66s TBH!

YING, YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING ;)

Love um' :angel9:

Dennis

Established Member
spm_43030 said:
YING, YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING,YING ;)

Love um' :angel9:

shut up - no more yinging:banghead: :cussing:

(66 heading an engineers train parked outside my house last night at bedtime)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Aren't they supposed to shut down when idling in an area near to residental areas?

Sorry Dennis, but I had to laugh momentarily when I read the huge text in your post. But I instantly feel sorry for you putting up with that noise all night. We put up with boy racers (sorry, no, chav racers) all night quite often, although not lately, which is very irritating. But yinging all night, nasty!

Maybe a complaint to NR/EWS about the noise? I'd consider it noise pollution and sleep deprivation when it bothers you that much. Trains passing, yes that's not so bad, the noise isn't continuous. But sitting outside, idling, no that's isn't fair.

metrocammel

Julian G said:
is 37408--> Loch Rannoch?
it would be great to see it back in the BR blue livery :)

Erm, gaje, 37408 never actually carried "BR Blue" (as 37/4's were created when Large Logo ruled) it was large logo, but then painted by mistake (afaik) into EWS in the 90's (back in the days when it was a NW Coast regular)

Also I very much doubt they will bring 408 back anyway, as there are plenty of other ETH (and non ETH) tractors around that dont need structural work on them, as it seems 408's encounter with the mk2 was quite serious. I would like to see it return, as it was my favourite 37 (as it was my first for haulage), but its v. unlikely. Now it would be very very nice if a no heat 37 could deputise for a passenger service at some time.... the Fort Bill sleeper is extremley unlikely due to the need for quite a bit of power on the "beds" (eg, every berths lighting & heating ,cooker in buffet etc etc - and I'm not sure if the mk2 seater coach has a dynamo or not??) , though it wouldnt be out of the question for a "no-heater" to do say a Rhymney diagram???

Muppet

be nice to get 37s along Cotswold Valley going up sapperton hill on full throttle could just image it now :D

FGWFan said:
Aren't they supposed to shut down when idling in an area near to residental areas?

Sorry Dennis, but I had to laugh momentarily when I read the huge text in your post. But I instantly feel sorry for you putting up with that noise all night. We put up with boy racers (sorry, no, chav racers) all night quite often, although not lately, which is very irritating. But yinging all night, nasty!

Maybe a complaint to NR/EWS about the noise? I'd consider it noise pollution and sleep deprivation when it bothers you that much. Trains passing, yes that's not so bad, the noise isn't continuous. But sitting outside, idling, no that's isn't fair.
Just a little suggestion, hate to sound rude. If you don't like the sound of trains then don't buy a house next to a railway line.

Dennis

Established Member
James 66526 said:
Just a little suggestion, hate to sound rude. If you don't like the sound of trains then don't buy a house next to a railway line.

Normally the noise doesn't bother me in the slightest, its just ying ying ying ying ying on the very infrequent occasions that 66's park outside that gets on my nerves, I just find it a very irritating noise.

Back in the early nineties (1991 I think) when the track was last relaid, there were 37's and 50's to enjoy. When I first moved in 33's were still running to Portsmouth and there was a DEMU which used to do a daily trip for a while - that was loud - I can see why they are called thumpers.

Sprog

Established Member
Dennis said:
Normally the noise doesn't bother me in the slightest, its just ying ying ying ying ying on the very infrequent occasions that 66's park outside that gets on my nerves, I just find it a very irritating noise.

Back in the early nineties (1991 I think) when the track was last relaid, there were 37's and 50's to enjoy. When I first moved in 33's were still running to Portsmouth and there was a DEMU which used to do a daily trip for a while - that was loud - I can see why they are called thumpers.

hehe, yeah, Thumpers where pretty unique

Remember seeing them ticking over at Ashford waiting to leave on Hastings services. Didnt sound like anything ive ever heard before!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I saw 4 66s within 15 minutes of each other this afternoon in Cardiff. Got to say, I was enjoying the noise. Then I saw 60085 at Newport, then I came back to my senses. 60039 also woke me up to what I was acting like - a 66 fan, me?! Seen so many 60s and 66s today, it was unreal.

Status
Not open for further replies.