• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 377 Refurbishment

Status
Not open for further replies.

387star

On Moderation
I imagine they are just freshening them up to get another 4 or 5 years out of the existing interiors. I can imagine the next operator will either want to do a rebrand on them or upgrade the interiors as has been the case on most new operators of recent times. For instance plug sockets wouldn’t go a miss on the 377s.
Shame 377/6 don' go to pompey etc a waste on metros

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Exactly just sums up the GTR attitude. They have slowly decimated their long distance route offering taking away catering, dedicated stock etc etc. The /6 stock would be perfect for those on long journeys WiFi as standard (I know they are in the process of fitting it across the fleet), plug sockets and a more modern feel but no they are more focused on the short distance routes where there is money to be made.

tsr

Established Member
Exactly just sums up the GTR attitude. They have slowly decimated their long distance route offering taking away catering, dedicated stock etc etc. The /6 stock would be perfect for those on long journeys WiFi as standard (I know they are in the process of fitting it across the fleet), plug sockets and a more modern feel but no they are more focused on the short distance routes where there is money to be made.

There will not be that correlation between money made and the routes a 377 operates on. Specific sub-classes of 377s will be chosen to operate in the Metro area where they can be formed up to the maximum length accommodated at terminal stations en-route, for example, and also to reduce the burdensome 455 operational constraints which have regularly caused havoc...

...and in any case, you can’t run a 10 coach 313 around South London: first, they don’t form 10 coach trains; second, there are no conductors competent (or available) on most Metro routes in question, so you’d have to modify all the DOO camera layouts at all the stations; third, they are basically no better or worse than the 455s which will actually continue to operate some of the busiest routes, so there’s no point redeploying that sort of stuff based on interior spec.

Lastly, from a financial point of view: the South London rail network is basically the poor cousin of the Tube to the north of the Thames - train allocations are not run because you might make a bit more money out of giving some commuters power sockets, but instead to move people who must get to work and therefore provide a far greater contribution to society and the economy. Those people who pay will do so for almost any train (nobody commutes by choice on a 455/8!) because they need it, those people who travel without paying will need much more than a stock change to convince them, and those who choose not to travel probably choose not to do so for myriad other reasons.

387star

On Moderation
I prefer a /6 as most older variants have cramp seating in the middle coaches which is less comfortable IMO

The outer coaches are fine and would be A star with plugs

387star

On Moderation
Passengers do notice seat configurations

I was on one of the all 3+2 377/1 variants this morning . A lady complained about the poor seats and said it was a worrying trend as they had been on a similar one the other day.

However the 377/1 series are randomly allocated and there are only about 20 trains which have mostly 3+2 not to mention they are a good 15 years old

It is true passengers aim for the leading and trailing coaches who are in the know then are disappointed hen a metro configuration pulls in. There are peculiar small compartments on these units unite of 2+2 unlike the 375/9 at coach ends

AFAIK 377120-139 are the numbers involved

Of course the previous occasion the passenger referred to may have been a 377/4 middle coach if they weren't fully aware of the internal configuration

387star

On Moderation
Are plug sockets likely in standard on these?

And a C2C style refurb of the inner coaches ?

superalbs

Established Member
Milton Keynes to Croydon has always been a weird one. Would there by any problems turning them all back at Watford Junction? Then it would be a proper suburban service.
Apparently it would get in the way of the WCML there. I think it used to do that?

class387

Established Member
I think they're perfectly adequate. I actually sigh when a 377/2 turns up instead of a /6 or /7!
Agreed. Regardless of what one thinks of the Fainsa seats, the /7s have 2+2 throughout, more legroom and plug sockets, while on a /2 the majority of the seating is in a cramped 3+2 configuration.

physics34

Established Member
Agreed. Regardless of what one thinks of the Fainsa seats, the /7s have 2+2 throughout, more legroom and plug sockets, while on a /2 the majority of the seating is in a cramped 3+2 configuration.

Well thats is the sad thing about the 377/6s, 7s and 387s.... the interior configuration, legroom, ambience, plug socket avaliablity etc is virtually perfect........what lets them down???. Hard seats.

class387

Established Member
Well thats is the sad thing about the 377/6s, 7s and 387s.... the interior configuration, legroom, ambience, plug socket avaliablity etc is virtually perfect........what lets them down???. Hard seats.
I don't think it 'lets them down' at all, nor do I think the type of seat can ruin a train. Anyway for me the Fainsa seats are much better than the Compins on the older Electrostars with their ridiculously high armrests.

radamfi

Established Member
Not too long ago the air conditioning appeared to be flawless but now there seems to be a lot of problems with the air conditioning now. Almost every 377 I go on seems to have the air conditioning not working in at least one coach with the windows open.

physics34

Established Member
Not too long ago the air conditioning appeared to be flawless but now there seems to be a lot of problems with the air conditioning now. Almost every 377 I go on seems to have the air conditioning not working in at least one coach with the windows open.

Shortage of fitters iam guessing. Some of the air con issues are caused by motors that have faults

387star

On Moderation
The metro 377/6 might ironically be popular on Portsmouth Southampton services with their plugs and less crampt interiors

physics34

Established Member
I don't think it 'lets them down' at all, nor do I think the type of seat can ruin a train. Anyway for me the Fainsa seats are much better than the Compins on the older Electrostars with their ridiculously high armrests.

assuming compins seats are the 2x2 ones in older 377s.

Its all subjective as we know, but seat base comfort is more important for me that most other factors and the fainsa's just dont have that.

hwl

Established Member

Why a waste on the metros?
They have wide aisles and are 10car thus are far better at dealing with the standing loads on the metros than a 10 car /4 +/3 +/3 combination or an 8car 455. What is your alternative metro solution to the /6 & /7s?

brad465

Established Member
Living in Maidstone (where 377/5s are running), a refurbishment couldn't come soon enough. The paint job on the outside got done but the interior is still the old self; old worn seat patterns and a generally bad look, especially compared to the 375s after their refurbishment, which I think was very good (they make limited appearances on the MDE line, mainly in early peak). <(

I'm guessing their refurbishment is waiting the new franchise in December this year, which may even see them leave the franchise depending on the incomer's ambitions.

387star

On Moderation
Living in Maidstone (where 377/5s are running), a refurbishment couldn't come soon enough. The paint job on the outside got done but the interior is still the old self; old worn seat patterns and a generally bad look, especially compared to the 375s after their refurbishment, which I think was very good (they make limited appearances on the MDE line, mainly in early peak). <(

I'm guessing their refurbishment is waiting the new franchise in December this year, which may even see them leave the franchise depending on the incomer's ambitions.

Well they had new panneling vestibule carpets and a general tidy up not so long ago . Some did not receive new seat covers

brad465

Established Member
Well they had new panneling vestibule carpets and a general tidy up not so long ago . Some did not receive new seat covers

If this is the case I either haven't been lucky enough to run into them or the difference is negligible compared to before, so I'm guessing they're the same green colour. On the up side the wrong automated tannoys no longer apply, which seemed to be fixed a while ago

class387

Established Member
If this is the case I either haven't been lucky enough to run into them or the difference is negligible compared to before, so I'm guessing they're the same green colour. On the up side the wrong automated tannoys no longer apply, which seemed to be fixed a while ago
The only seat covers replaced were the ones that had to be replaced due to damage - no train had all of them done. The 'refurbishment' was basically a deep clean and nothing else.

class387

Established Member
assuming compins seats are the 2x2 ones in older 377s.

Its all subjective as we know, but seat base comfort is more important for me that most other factors and the fainsa's just dont have that.
For me posture is more important.

It is subjective, hence why we shouldn't say a train is 'ruined' just because of the seat padding.

Class455

Established Member
Just seen a refurbished 377 101 at Selhurst Depot, it looks to have a rainbow Southern logo on it. Not sure what it’s for as Pride festival has passed.

Status
Not open for further replies.