• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 379 updates (all are OFF LEASE)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
West Anglia yes, but not West Anglia Main Line. This whole WAML thing has come from I don’t know where, but it grates because it is a route and not a mainline.
The London (Stratford)-Bishops Stortford-Cambridge line was originally the Northern & Eastern Railway, before being leased by the Eastern Counties Railway.
The ECR became part of the Great Eastern Railway.
No "West" or "Anglia" in sight.

Astro_Orbiter

The London (Stratford)-Bishops Stortford-Cambridge line was originally the Northern & Eastern Railway, before being leased by the Eastern Counties Railway.
It's the line with no name then I suppose

Railperf

Established Member
Looks like only 1 of 7 WA Cambrige diagrams now a pair of 379's - the remainder are 5-car 720's.
Plus 2 pairs of 379's on Meridian Water shuttles

Last edited:

Milo T.K

Just saw 379019 go past Shenfield with another unit didnt see the number tho

mtmikethom

It can’t run today due to Rail Replacement Buses along the Mayflower Line
I think he may be referring to Friday, RTT shows it as cancelled but I believe it ran as suggested by the previous comment, think I saw it on Open Train Mapping which I looked at after seeing the comment

Railperf

Established Member
Be interesting to see how long the 379's last on Cambridge diagrams now.
Any information on the remaining 379 diagrams appreciated over this next week or two.

The only 8-car diagram on Cambridge services today so far seems to be a pair of 317s. 479s still on Meridian water and looks like a pair on Hertford East diagrams

Last edited:

43102EMR

Established Member
It would seem more have gone to Harwich for storage over the last 24 hours.

I still don’t see the point in storing them now when 1) the 720s are rather limited with where they can operate at present and 2) the 379s are still on lease to GA? Not to mention Plan B restrictions have eased and commuter traffic’s once again increasing…

Last edited:

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I still don’t see the point in storing them now when 1) the 720s are rather limited with where they can operate at present and 2) the 379s are still on lease to GA?
The 720s can go anywhere on West Anglia, just as 5-car units, and the number in use there is increasing. As someone posted, they have more 317s/379s than are needed for the current service.

43102EMR

Established Member
The 720s can go anywhere on West Anglia, just as 5-car units, and the number in use there is increasing. As someone posted, they have more 317s/379s than are needed for the current service.
That’s fair enough, but surely with Plan B measures ending today, the emergency timetable will be dropped no? I’ve noticed a significant increase in commuter traffic since the WFH order was dropped…

Bikeman78

Established Member
That’s fair enough, but surely with Plan B measures ending today, the emergency timetable will be dropped no? I’ve noticed a significant increase in commuter traffic since the WFH order was dropped…
The reduced timetable is already uploaded for next week though it could be tweaked further. Someone mentioned in another thread that extra trains are planned on most TOCs from February 14th so it looks like a fun fortnight ahead. If the class 379s are leased month by month then it could be game over in four days.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
the 379s are still on lease to GA? Not to mention Plan B restrictions have eased and commuter traffic’s once again increasing…
I don't agree with it but they are the most expensive units to lease currently compared to 317/321's so if you need to dial back the service and save money they are obvious target.

Jturner98

Visited the WAML today and noticed that there’s not a lot of 379s knocking about. I only saw 2 lots of 8 carriage trains on the Hertfords. There were plenty parked up at Ilford depot though.

On another note I’ve seen on multiple occasions now that when the 720s are operating a Cambridge North diagram at Tottenham you end up with a load of people expecting an 8 carriage train to turn up running back up the platform. At this current time I think 5 carriages to Cambridge is too small.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
On another note I’ve seen on multiple occasions now that when the 720s are operating a Cambridge North diagram at Tottenham you end up with a load of people expecting an 8 carriage train to turn up running back up the platform. At this current time I think 5 carriages to Cambridge is too small.
They are the equivalent of a 6 carriage 379 in terms of length though and as pointed out have more seats than a 8 carriage 379 formation. Presumably it has always been the plan to operate 5 carriages on most workings on the Cambridge line?

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
They are the equivalent of a 6 carriage 379 in terms of length though and as pointed out have more seats than a 8 carriage 379 formation. Presumably it has always been the plan to operate 5 carriages on most workings on the Cambridge line?
I actually think the 5 carriage working has happened by accident due to delays to platform extensions at Hertford East, Stratford, and elsewhere - as well as an intention to get the older stock off the line as quickly as possible.

I think if the plan had been predominately 5 carriage West Anglia (the Cambridges are usually busier than Hertford and Stratfords so I reckon if the plan would have been 5 car Cambridge it would have been 5 car those two) then it is unlikely one-hundred and thirty-three 720s would have been ordered.

Kite159

Veteran Member

Might have the same number of seats as a 8 coach 379 formation, but some people will prefer to stand in the vestibule areas rather than trying to squeeze into the middle seat or even down the narrow aisles.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Might have the same number of seats as a 8 coach 379 formation, but some people will prefer to stand in the vestibule areas rather than trying to squeeze into the middle seat or even down the narrow aisles.
That’s their choice though. The point is the option of the seat is there.

379002, 003, 004, 009, 011, 016, 018, 019, 020 and 028 all now withdrawn and stored at Parkeston, meaning a third of the fleet is out of action. This is according to Richard Clinnick and several images of the fleet transferring on Twitter.

Last edited:

fodphil

379002, 003, 004, 009, 011, 016, 018, 019, 020 and 028 all now withdrawn and stored at Parkeston, meaning a third of the fleet is out of action. This is according to Richard Clinnick and several images of the fleet transferring on Twitter.
Are these easy too see by train or on foot?

CBlue

It's the line with no name then I suppose

So if it has no name, and Network Southeast branded it "West Anglia" i.e., the first name it had in quite a long time.....then what's wrong with knowing it as such? Just because it wasn't called that by the Victorian railway firms or BR doesn't make it less valid.

O L Leigh

Established Member
So if it has no name, and Network Southeast branded it "West Anglia" i.e., the first name it had in quite a long time.....then what's wrong with knowing it as such? Just because it wasn't called that by the Victorian railway firms or BR doesn't make it less valid.

"West Anglia" yes. "West Anglia Mainline" or "WAML" no.

Bikeman78

Established Member

You can add 379001 and 379015 to that list.

Status
Not open for further replies.