• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 387

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsr

Established Member
Just seen a note saying the 387/2 will be entering temporary service with thameslink from weds ?????? No diagrams as yet

Gatwick Express: Now serving Flitwick and Coulsdon South!

Please be aware Gatwick Express tickets and tickets not for the Gatwick Express are valid on the Gatwick Express when it goes to Gatwick but is not the Gatwick Express which is a Thameslink train on a Thameslink route anyway. Thank you for your attention and enjoy your journey!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
Gatwick Express: Now serving Flitwick and Coulsdon South!

Please be aware Gatwick Express tickets and tickets not for the Gatwick Express are valid on the Gatwick Express when it goes to Gatwick but is not the Gatwick Express which is a Thameslink train on a Thameslink route anyway. Thank you for your attention and enjoy your journey!

And don't be confused if you have Thameslink only tickets, they are valid on this Gatwick Express stock which isn't running a Gatwick Express service ;)

D365

Veteran Member
On a non-ticketing related note: the foresight to have the /2 subclass fully fitted with pantographs must have been a minor miracle!

Last edited:

Philip Phlopp

Established Member
On a non-ticketing related note: the foresight to have the /2 subclass fully fitted with pantographs must have been a minor miracle!

There's a bit of interest in converting the Brighton Main Line to 25kV, presumably because nobody wants to do anything BML2 or BML capacity related using 750V DC for any significant stretches of new track.

Don't hold your breath on it all though.

southern442

Established Member
There's a bit of interest in converting the Brighton Main Line to 25kV, presumably because nobody wants to do anything BML2 or BML capacity related using 750V DC for any significant stretches of new track.

Don't hold your breath on it all though.

*Cue three pages of off topic discussion about 3rd rail conversion to overhead*

D365

Veteran Member
*Cue three pages of off topic discussion about 3rd rail conversion to overhead*

I'm well aware of the reasoning as to why the 387/2 batch has been specified with pantos fitted, just seems a stroke of luck that this was the case.

AM9

Veteran Member
I think that it is policy that Thameslink passengers are allowed to try out all new ac/DC EMUs before they are made available to their intended routes, (377/5s, 387/1s, 387/2s ). What's next, the 707s (if they have pantographs)?
We've even been trying out the 319s for Northern and LM for over 25 years! :)

JaJaWa

Established Member
Why is Thameslink getting 387/2s? Simply a desire to replace 319s or are they required because 700s are a bit late and 319s or 387/1s are needed elsewhere?

D365

Veteran Member
What's next, the 707s (if they have pantographs)?

As a matter of fact, I believe they will.

Ah, there's a bit of an oversight in your theory, the additional eight 387s for GWR won't be coming anywhere near Thameslink (whether or not they still will be classified as 387/3). However it seems a 313 could count as having been 'tested' (313121), and the 350/1s would most likely have been tried out too, had they been cleared!

Minstral25

Established Member
Is this temporary work with Thameslink because there seems to be a real shortage of stock on Southern at the moment.

Through Redhill this morning three Southern services were short formed and one didn't even bother to turn up "due to earlier broken down train".

AM9

Veteran Member
As a matter of fact, I believe they will.

Ah, there's a bit of an oversight in your theory, the additional eight 387s for GWR won't be coming anywhere near Thameslink (whether or not they still will be classified as 387/3).

Been there, done them with the originals, (387/1s). I doubt that they will be any different to 387 121 which I travelled on the first day in service. It still had a selection of commuter detritis by the time it got to Bedford.

However it seems a 313 could count as having been 'tested' (313121), and the 350/1s would most likely have been tried out too, had they been cleared!

Jokes apart, the MML/Core/BML does offer a broad spectrum of working conditions for an EMU, including ac & DC supplies and very heavy passenger flows, so it isn't a bad testbed.

Class377/5

Established Member
I think that it is policy that Thameslink passengers are allowed to try out all new ac/DC EMUs before they are made available to their intended routes, (377/5s, 387/1s, 387/2s ). What's next, the 707s (if they have pantographs)?
We've even been trying out the 319s for Northern and LM for over 25 years! :)

First two 707s will have pans for testing in Germany to prove the dv design of the clad and will have them removed before reaching the UK.

Why is Thameslink getting 387/2s? Simply a desire to replace 319s or are they required because 700s are a bit late and 319s or 387/1s are needed elsewhere?

387/2 on Thameslink nothing to do with 319s or 700s. Its nothing major at all.

acmw421

Amusingly, the signalling problems at Herne Hill this pm peak meant my train home (the much delayed 1737 south from CIty Thameslink) went to East Croydon via Loughborough Junction and Clapham Junction, formed of 2x 387 - so at least that's two 387s that have made it that far west, even if the 387/2s take a while... :s

Class377/5

Established Member
Anyone have the diagrams yet for the 387/2 on thameslink tomorrow?

No-one can have them yet as trains don't get allocated until the early hours.

Note there will be NO such thing as a 387/2 diagram on Thameslink, they be used one of the 387/1 diagrams.

Not that is actually confirmed a 387/2 will be out tomorrow as all that's happening they CAN be used service. You'll have to wait.

Is this temporary work with Thameslink because there seems to be a real shortage of stock on Southern at the moment.

Through Redhill this morning three Southern services were short formed and one didn't even bother to turn up "due to earlier broken down train".

It's to release a 387/1 for modifications.

trainmania100

Established Member
387209 + 387208 ran Three Bridges depot to crickewood ugl on saturday morning 1000 (5X69 (I think)), saw it at three bridges hoping for a 700 lol as it was running under thameslink

Sunset route

Established Member
387209 + 387208 ran Three Bridges depot to crickewood ugl on saturday morning 1000 (5X69 (I think)), saw it at three bridges hoping for a 700 lol as it was running under thameslink

I got pictures of them returning from the ASC roof :D

Class377/5

Established Member

387209/208 were on test and returned. Wont be going to Thameslink duties.

The 700 is there for 700 testing. Which is weekdays only currently.

EDIT:

387210 is now being delivered.

Last edited:

andrewkeith5

Thanks. Haven't had the chance to ride a 387 yet, are they any different to a 377 bar the maximum speed increase?

Key differences are the newer Fainsa seats which are pretty marmite on this forum - I personally don't have a problem with them but some people hate them - and a lot more exposed bolts, presumably for ease of maintenance.

Other than that, pretty much the same! Basically just 377/6s or 377/7s but with a higher top speed. At least that's how it is from a passenger perspective.

Oh, one fairly major difference from the 377 - the toilets are slightly more stainless steel, but the water, soap and dryer actually attempts to make some effort to help you wash your hands!

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Yes I noticed that too, very good they are for that! There was another class I went on some months ago with washing facilities like that, although that could have been a 377/6 or /7.

Sure makes a fine change on the railway!

LT3001

Posted to a few gen groups not too long ago. Credit to 66204 with this info [email protected] http://www.flickr.com/photos/66024

387s will venture down on the GWML soil in April time and 3 sets will be tested between London Paddington & West Ealing/Hayes & Harlington.

These will be temporary be based at North Pole depot & 57303 will be returned to DRS because it isn't dellner fitted. Another dellner fitted 57/3 will be on long term hire from DRS.

June 2016 the 387s will venture further to Reading TCD with the 57/3 dragging from Hayes & Harlington.

Class377/5

Established Member
Posted to a few gen groups not too long ago. Credit to 66204 with this info [email protected] http://www.flickr.com/photos/66024

387s will venture down on the GWML soil in April time and 3 sets will be tested between London Paddington & West Ealing/Hayes & Harlington.

These will be temporary be based at North Pole depot & 57303 will be returned to DRS because it isn't dellner fitted. Another dellner fitted 57/3 will be on long term hire from DRS.

June 2016 the 387s will venture further to Reading TCD with the 57/3 dragging from Hayes & Harlington.

Think you'll find that's 4 pairs heading over.

Deepgreen

Established Member
Key differences are the newer Fainsa seats which are pretty marmite on this forum - I personally don't have a problem with them but some people hate them - and a lot more exposed bolts, presumably for ease of maintenance.

Other than that, pretty much the same! Basically just 377/6s or 377/7s but with a higher top speed. At least that's how it is from a passenger perspective.

Oh, one fairly major difference from the 377 - the toilets are slightly more stainless steel, but the water, soap and dryer actually attempts to make some effort to help you wash your hands!

Plus only four cars rather than the 377/6s' and 377/7s' five, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.