• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 43 (HST)

Status
Not open for further replies.

class 313

Established Member
I herd that HST's are getting new engines, so they will lose that hiss they make. is this true?:(

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Agreed, 004 and 009 sound great. 004 is the star of my avatar too, it looks so very fine, it's my SHP of the month. Stratch that, it's my SHP of the year! To think that came out of my digi cam too. I'd have expected that to be the result of use of my mum's SLR. Pity I didn't phot it in a higher resolution though.

Still, 43025 sounded excellent recently, and it was only moving off a signal check outside Newport! Thrashtastic action from the Valenta!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Oh, the scream, that's still there, just not so obvious. The engine roar is more obvious now, but the scream still exists.

taw valley

as much as i hate diesel and elctrics the sound of a HST leaving reading bound for plymouth etc is GREAT the way they power up is WOW the clag as well

and when you get 2 HST leaving reading or leaving didcot at the same time well...................................its just great!

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I agree, I think its especially good at DMU dominated stations such as Hull, where the norm is the boring sound of a 156 or 158 starting up. Its nice to hear the amazing clag and power of the class 43 where it isn't usually heard :D

Sprog

Established Member
FGWFan said:
Agreed, 004 and 009 sound great. 004 is the star of my avatar too, it looks so very fine, it's my SHP of the month. Stratch that, it's my SHP of the year! To think that came out of my digi cam too. I'd have expected that to be the result of use of my mum's SLR. Pity I didn't phot it in a higher resolution though.

Still, 43025 sounded excellent recently, and it was only moving off a signal check outside Newport! Thrashtastic action from the Valenta!

Is that the same 43025 thats currently paired with 43030!!?? ;) :D

313, have you been on another planet :? :lol:

Valentas where screaming long before you and I where born matey, and alot of people, including myself appreciate that fine noise! 8-)
--- edited ---
Oh, and:

Compare:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8793643868492413666&q=Tom+Hampson

VALENTA!!!!! :headbang:

To:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2193124191382557952&q=Tom+Hampson

MTU :violent3:

Sprog

Established Member
class 313 said:
What? im 'for' valenta engines!

Yeah, but why suddenly have u heard about the re-engining program thats been going on. Its not like its been kept a secret..........

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
004 and 009 sound quite good, heard 009 a couple of times leaving BTM

chugchugchugchug(1 second silence, sounds as if it would cut out)..chchugchug and when it leaft a slimt scream could be heard, not bad though however!

andel

Two of them at the moment (Well, last friday at least) are sat back to back up at Tysley Depot. I suspect they now belong to CR... One is Midland Mainline but i can't remember the other.

Sprog

Established Member
BTW? Everyone knows what makes the SCREEEEAAAAAM right?............

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Even the No.1 HST in the Outer West Midlands can't be sure, but it's not the engine IIRC. Turbocharger would be my guess, but I can't remember the different pieces of equipment in the beasts. Certainly not an alternator!

Turbocharger is my final answer. If I'm wrong, I'll hang my head in shame.

Sprog

Established Member
*Notes FGWFan's answer and awaits others*......... ;)

Im intertested in whos up on their '43' general knowledge...... :p :lol:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Hmm, I think that's got to be a positive thing for me there...I think you'll be lucky to get any more answers. But it's definately not the VP185 or 16V4000 that provides the scream!

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
id double that, ut kicks in when more than 5mph i guess! either way dunno how it was allowed to be that loud! (no horn after 2300, but thrashing a HST is!)

ChrisCooper

Established Member
It's the Napier Turbocharger that provides the scream. They arn't unique to HSTs, also being fitted to a lot of English Electric engined locos, incluing the 20s and 40s (both well known for whistling) and also the 73s and Thumpers, aswell as the 56s (they actually sound very similar to HSTs). The high revs and high exahaust speed of the HSTs though means that the Turbo is turning very fast, hence the loud scream. The clagging of HSTs is also down to the Turbo, since being large it has quite a lag, so before it gets up to speed their isn't enough air getting into the engine to burn the fuel cleanly. The VP185 at least uses a number of smaller turbochargers, which actually scream more (higher pitch), but are much quieter, and have much less lag, so they don't clag as much. I'm not sure what the turbos on the MTUs are like. The other scream from HSTs, although really it's more of a high pitched whine, is from the cooling fan when that is running.

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
ah damn me for not spending enough time on these forums these days to get my answer in early, it is indeed the turbocharger as far as I believe! I am however intrigued to know if HST's have carried the scream from day1?

Sprog

Established Member
ChrisCooper said:
It's the Napier Turbocharger that provides the scream. They arn't unique to HSTs, also being fitted to a lot of English Electric engined locos, incluing the 20s and 40s (both well known for whistling) and also the 73s and Thumpers, aswell as the 56s (they actually sound very similar to HSTs). The high revs and high exahaust speed of the HSTs though means that the Turbo is turning very fast, hence the loud scream. The clagging of HSTs is also down to the Turbo, since being large it has quite a lag, so before it gets up to speed their isn't enough air getting into the engine to burn the fuel cleanly. The VP185 at least uses a number of smaller turbochargers, which actually scream more (higher pitch), but are much quieter, and have much less lag, so they don't clag as much. I'm not sure what the turbos on the MTUs are like. The other scream from HSTs, although really it's more of a high pitched whine, is from the cooling fan when that is running.

Excellent :D

Yes, you all are correct :)

and yes HSTFan, the HST have had the screm from building!

Very informed Chris. I beleive the MTU engines use 4 turbo chargers. Apprently, the VP185 has 6! :o , hence its relitive quitenss!

The only engine that i never saw a HST fitted with and am quite interested in is the Mirless Blackstone engines that where trail fitted to a few Powercars (4 IIRC) in the 80s/90s. If anyone has info on those, id be very appreciative!

devon_metro

Established Member
spm_43030 said:
Excellent :D

Yes, you all are correct :)

and yes HSTFan, the HST have had the screm from building!

Very informed Chris. I beleive the MTU engines use 4 turbo chargers. Apprently, the VP185 has 6! :o , hence its relitive quitenss!

The only engine that i never saw a HST fitted with and am quite interested in is the Mirless Blackstone engines that where trail fitted to a few Powercars (4 IIRC) in the 80s/90s. If anyone has info on those, id be very appreciative!

43167-43170 experimentally re-engined in 1987-1996 with Mirrlees Blackstone MB190

Sprog

Established Member
dvn1357 said:
43167-43170 experimentally re-engined in 1987-1996 with Mirrlees Blackstone MB190

:roll:, yes..so i was right..it was 4 P/Cs. I knew that already.........

Im tlking technical data - ie, HP, number of Turbos - did they scream like Valentas?...... - and jst how they sounded/performed.............. :!: :?:

Sprog

Established Member
Status
Not open for further replies.