• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 442s - Now at the end of the road and to be withdrawn permanently

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Philip Phlopp

Established Member
Class 442 409 + 442402 south through Preston park 0937
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Is there a scrapper at Eastleigh?

Yes. There has been small scale scrapping and component recovery work at Eastleigh Works fairly constantly since the site re-opened.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
How significant is the extension of 387/2 workings tomorrow? Given the splitting / joining presumably a few diagrams have to go over on each change.

PS - Why are the evening Gatwick Express workings cut back after 2100 until May?

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
How significant is the extension of 387/2 workings tomorrow? Given the splitting / joining presumably a few diagrams have to go over on each change.

PS - Why are the evening Gatwick Express workings cut back after 2100 until May?

Driver training on the new units?

gazr

Piggies were working London Bridge to Brighton service today, calling at East Croydon first/last stop. Managed to snag 4 units; 1 + 11 & 2 + 9.

Class377/5

Established Member

No change this week. First 442 is released from the initial 8 car working that started awhile back. GTR is required to hold onto stock for a few weeks after being released. Various points of storage will be used as well (mostly where the units go now bar one place).

urpert

Essendine or between Étaples and Rang-du-Fliers
I was quite surprised to see a couple of 442s sitting at Platform *6* at Victoria this morning at around 7.10am. According to the screens they were forming a Brighton service. Pretty unusual to see them in passenger service on the Eastern side - I wasn't even aware that there was a straightforward way of getting from Platform 6 to the Down Brighton Fast?

Deepgreen

Established Member
I was quite surprised to see a couple of 442s sitting at Platform *6* at Victoria this morning at around 7.10am. According to the screens they were forming a Brighton service. Pretty unusual to see them in passenger service on the Eastern side - I wasn't even aware that there was a straightforward way of getting from Platform 6 to the Down Brighton Fast?

Signal failure at Victoria has meant platform allocation alterations today. It is possible to get across to the BML from all platforms down to and including five.

Minstral25

Established Member

Suspect they used SouthEastern(??) route from Clapham Junction via Pouparts Junction rather than the direct route

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Suspect they used SouthEastern(??) route from Clapham Junction via Pouparts Junction rather than the direct route
On this occasion Realtime Trains suggests it went straight to the Brighton Slows then crossed to the fasts just north of Battersea Park (the first and only opportunity to do so before Balham).

In case anyone is struggling to visualise this, here's a dubious stitch together of the two parts of Victoria, taken from screenshots of the online Sectional Appendix pdf. In real life the connection from the Down Brighton slow to the Up Chatham slow is very short!

Attachments

• Victoria.png
    Victoria.png
    148.7 KB · Views: 164

zdz

Slightly OT here, but can anyone remind me the weblink to the fantastic track diagrams from that french site? Something like Carteo .fr or similar.

Thanks.

DJH1971

Established Member
How long have I got?

I have to confess it looks likely my first 442 trip will be with TPE on the WCML/London Midland additional stock for TV stopper/Football specials/insert whatever stupid suggestion!

How can TPE consider them when they don't use 3rd rail?

MrB

Well, there's a proposal put forward by members here (not sure how feasible it is) that keeps coming up over and over to convert the 442s to be hauled by class 67s or 68s.

In fact, I even saw someone say that they could fit a pantograph to the 442s, how ridiculous!! :roll:

gimmea50anyday

Established Member

You been on these forums recently?.... ;);)

It was in the ITT for the new TPE franchise. Stagecoach and Keolis both submitted proposals for converting the 442's, First elected for new build stock.

Guess who won the franchise......

cjmillsnun

Established Member
Must get one last trip on a 442. Last time I was on one, they were in their prime in SWT land.

RobShipway

Established Member
Didn't think they would have room for a pantograph

As Mr B states there is no room for a pantograph on top of the class 442's and the only way that they will be used other than those remaining in service is if they are used in push/pull mode ins some way with either a class 73/9, 67 or 68 in doing express trains in some form similar to the Mk3's with Chiltern.

The problem is that there is nowhere for the class 442's to go other than back into storage and be used possibly for parts if they fit to any mk3's that are still being used i.e. the Mk3 coaches that will be used as part of the HST 5 car sets that are going to be on their way up to Scotrail.

As much as the class 442's are great trains or certainly where when they use to do the Weymouth/Pool/Bournemouth to London Waterloo services, there is no place for them to be used within the 3rd rail area of the South.

class387

Established Member
I would like to hunt down the 442s this weekend, but I understand there is disruption on the BML. Will they run at all?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I would like to hunt down the 442s this weekend, but I understand there is disruption on the BML. Will they run at all?

Gat Ex is not running at all, according to their website, due to engineering works. Network Rail info on the Streatham Area re-signalling also says that Gat Ex is binned for the weekend.

Class377/5

Established Member
Doesn't mean they won run as they can and have operated the Brighton service from London Bridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.