• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 442s - Now at the end of the road and to be withdrawn permanently

Status
Not open for further replies.

pompeyfan

Established Member
In theory, is there anything stopping them working Waterloo via Basingstoke services if STP got the urge? I’m aware they’re not permitted to call at Shawford or Hamble, but everywhere else is either 5/6/7 on a 444.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
In theory, is there anything stopping them working Waterloo via Basingstoke services if STP got the urge? I’m aware they’re not permitted to call at Shawford or Hamble, but everywhere else is either 5/6/7 on a 444.

They can do but the general aim is to keep them on faster services where possible.

The Ham

Established Member
It seems the same can't be said for the 2105 wat to poo which is diagrammed as a 442. Loads of sdo.

Probably would have been better to diagram it to the 2235 wat to poo which doesn't have any sdo stops. Only issue is that as it comes off the Pompey direct arriving at wat at 2051 it would occupy a platform at Waterloo for 1hr44 minutes, though maybe could leave Pompey harbour later? Other possible issue is that it would get to Bournemouth depot an hour later which maybe is needed for exam time.... Either way it's going to be initially very confusing for passengers and some guards as 442 sdo means front 5 carriages only while some stations have more coaches accommodated on 450/444 asdo....

I would have thought that a train at that time in the evening is unlikely to be so busy that the limits on the number of doors would be a problem.

Likewise it's unlikely that a delay of up to 1 minute at each station which can house a 7 coach train to allow passengers at the far end of a platform to walk to an opening door would make much difference. If it did become a problem then there could be some 442 stop signs added so that the front 5 coaches were more central to the platforms.

However Liphook and Liss on the 1Gxx services call at Liphook and Liss which are 5 on a 442 and 7 on 444.
Accepted but that's one service each way per weekday and in the peak, i'm certain the regular traveller will soon get used to it and the same applies, the Guard will have to make several announcements between Waterloo and Guildford then again at Haslemere for the sleeping/talking/inattentive :rolleyes:

infobleep

Veteran Member
I gather the first train from Poole arrived on time?

Looking at RTT, it appears the largest delays are SDO stations. The 442s only open 5 or 10 whereas there is more flexibility with the Desiros.

it will take a few days to stop commuters waiting the full length of the available platform.
At Surbtion a reasonable number of people never get the idea and wait for 10 cars to pull in for the 8:31 to Waterloo when it's only an 8 car train. So this can make the back carriage busy. I think you will always get this, including 442s, especially when there are not announcements about the length of the train due in.

387star

On Moderation
are all the 442s in service now that are intended to reenter service with SWR?

Train Boy

are all the 442s in service now that are intended to reenter service with SWR?

No, only 8 out of 18 have actually entered service yet. (03, 06, 08, 10, 13, 14, 17 & 20)

For the record;
Non-SWR units: 01, 05, 07, 12, 21 & 24

387star

On Moderation
No, only 8 out of 18 have actually entered service yet. (03, 06, 08, 10, 13, 14, 17 & 20)

For the record;
Non-SWR units: 01, 05, 07, 12, 21 & 24
interesting

far more in service than before the ban though?

how are they being received by passengers?

they look very comfortable although the first class seats are identical to the new desiro seats and not the type gatwick express used

Goldfish62

Established Member
interesting

far more in service than before the ban though?

how are they being received by passengers?

they look very comfortable although the first class seats are identical to the new desiro seats and not the type gatwick express used
Given the moans on twitter about them you have to wonder why SWR have bothered. Clearly Portsmouth line passengers are never happy.

winks

Shame. My eyes would light up when they were on the Brighton mainline at rush hour. The interiors are snug and classic. Hoping I catch one soo. Under SWR

K.o.R

Caught 2 in 2 days. They're not as smooth to pull away as I remember (typically bumpy and jerky acceleration, much like on a 313), but the interiors are very nice. Comfy seats and good legroom.

I'm so used to the gangways on 313s, Electrostars and Desiros that the Mk3 size seems positively cavernous! I note you can also see down through the very slight gap between the coaches which is... interesting.

One point: getting in and out is actually quite difficult, as there are no handrails by the doors and it is a BIG step up (and I am perfectly able-bodied). I can only assume you are meant to use the door pillar as a giant handrail?

moley

People moaning that the trains are ancient, uncomfortable and claustrophobic!
I would suggest the majority of passengers who are pleased at the changes won’t voice that opinion - it’s the way social media works. Certainly spoke to a couple today who remarked it’s nice to have 2+2 instead of 3+2.

Also the first two days have had infrastructure difficulties post strike to run salt into the wounds of passengers. I don’t think I would pick today to praise SWR!

theironroad

Established Member
Did see something on twitter today that the driver was "rude" for not opening the front door at petersfield for the 1st class passengers waiting on the platform.

The door won't open. I'm sure people will adapt.

daveshah

Also saw a comment where someone was confused about the letter system for coaches; although last time I used the 442s the guards were pretty good at explaining it in announcements.

moley

Perhaps SWR need some posters which say “Refurbished Class 442 trains will be calling at this station. Please note the front door of carriage one [together with the rear five carriages] will not be opened at this station.” followed by picture of train.

How else are Joe Public supposed to know? It’s a fair assumption that all doors at the platform will open because that’s what passengers are used to.

387star

On Moderation
Caught 2 in 2 days. They're not as smooth to pull away as I remember (typically bumpy and jerky acceleration, much like on a 313), but the interiors are very nice. Comfy seats and good legroom.

I'm so used to the gangways on 313s, Electrostars and Desiros that the Mk3 size seems positively cavernous! I note you can also see down through the very slight gap between the coaches which is... interesting.

One point: getting in and out is actually quite difficult, as there are no handrails by the doors and it is a BIG step up (and I am perfectly able-bodied). I can only assume you are meant to use the door pillar as a giant handrail?
The gap at Brighton used to be huge

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Perhaps SWR need some posters which say “Refurbished Class 442 trains will be calling at this station. Please note the front door of carriage one [together with the rear five carriages] will not be opened at this station.” followed by picture of train.

How else are Joe Public supposed to know? It’s a fair assumption that all doors at the platform will open because that’s what passengers are used to.

People will get used to it, no different to the 159s on the West of England which don’t open the front door either.

theironroad

Established Member

If adapted as appropriate to the relevent station (some stations are all 10 car) then is something that should have been done already , but yeah, spot on idea.

theironroad

Established Member
People will get used to it, no different to the 159s on the West of England which don’t open the front door either.

The regulars will, quickly....

However, a pro-active PR campaign with posters and tweets would have helped to not p*** off commuters even more.

TEW

Established Member
Also saw a comment where someone was confused about the letter system for coaches; although last time I used the 442s the guards were pretty good at explaining it in announcements.
They were, but the PA quality was generally atrocious and it was quite hard to actually hear the announcements in my experience.

AmericanRich

1G18 and 1P20 both heavily delayed by 'power supply issues' that are allegedly affecting 442s more so than others...

And yes, the moaning may seem gratuitous but this is not a customer base generally inclined to give any benefit of the doubt whatsoever at this stage, I would respectfully suggest justifiably so.

moley

1G18 and 1P20 both heavily delayed by 'power supply issues' that are allegedly affecting 442s more so than others...
1G18 lost 4 between Liss and Liphook not to mention 2 each at the SDO stations. It then sat for 9 extra at Guildford presumably while they decided which way it should go?

1P20 appears to have lost time all over the place. Notably 4 each approaching Petersfield and Liphook.

Fratton SDO stops seem down to 2 mins now. Fratton regulars are fairly good so that will now be due to large numbers of people joining the train through the rear door of carriage 5 then walking back.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
1G18 lost 4 between Liss and Liphook not to mention 2 each at the SDO stations. It then sat for 9 extra at Guildford presumably while they decided which way it should go?

1P20 appears to have lost time all over the place. Notably 4 each approaching Petersfield and Liphook.

Fratton SDO stops seem down to 2 mins now. Fratton regulars are fairly good so that will now be due to large numbers of people joining the train through the rear door of carriage 5 then walking back.

The delay at Guildford was due to waiting driver.

AmericanRich

We were told it was because of a missing driver.

pompeyfan

Established Member
There’s power reduction on the up between Haslemere and Witley which the 442s really don’t like. The desiros handle it better.

Status
Not open for further replies.