• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 442s - Now at the end of the road and to be withdrawn permanently

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

221101 Voyager

Established Member
Does anyone know what the latest status of these units are please?

442409 - Unknown
442410 - Unknown
442417 - Unknown
442419 - taken to Wolverton by 47815 26/06/2020 & returned to Bournemouth by ????? on ??????
442420 - Still DC fitted, Unknown location?
442423 - Still DC fitted, Unknown location?

Cheers :)

Western Sunset

Established Member
2410 + 2420 travelled under their own steam, if I can put it that way, from FR to BM on 4/2/21. Still with original traction packs. Think these were the last pair to travel over the mainline in their original condition.

Does anyone know what the latest status of these units are please?

442409 - Unknown
442410 - Unknown
442417 - Unknown
442419 - taken to Wolverton by 47815 26/06/2020 & returned to Bournemouth by ????? on ??????
442420 - Still DC fitted, Unknown location?

Cheers :)

442419. It might be at Weymouth. Pic from 11/01/2021

Also seen photos of 2410 and 2423 at Fratton (although this was a couple of months ago)

221101 Voyager

Established Member
442419. It might be at Weymouth. Pic from 11/01/2021

Also seen photos of 2410 and 2423 at Fratton (although this was a couple of months ago)
Thanks, just added the info to the list. :)

That just leaves the newest known location status of -

442409 - Still DC fitted, Unknown location?
442417 - Still DC fitted, Unknown location?

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Surprised the MLC coaches have been scrapped yet the remaining coaches of the set still remain in existence. Maybe they still plan to appear on TPE workings replacing the mk5s in the future XD

Jokes aside, I expect this is because the traction equipment and associated wiring within these coaches have a higher scrap value

221101 Voyager

Established Member
Surprised the MLC coaches have been scrapped yet the remaining coaches of the set still remain in existence. Maybe they still plan to appear on TPE workings replacing the mk5s in the future XD

Jokes aside, I expect this is because the traction equipment and associated wiring within these coaches have a higher scrap value
I'm surprised the MLCs have been scrapped first too.

Higher scrap value must indeed be the reason why, if not why else would they get rid of the motor coach first?

Don Steedy

The Science Museum group have offered the driving trailer from 2401 for disposal to another charitable organisation through the latest HRA news

Western Sunset

Established Member
I'm surprised the MLCs have been scrapped first too.

Higher scrap value must indeed be the reason why, if not why else would they get rid of the motor coach first?
Also, with re-tractioned motor coaches, little in the way of suitable spares to reuse from the scrapped ones.

The Science Museum group have offered the driving trailer from 2401 for disposal to another charitable organisation through the latest HRA news
Thanks Don. Previously I'd heard that the trailer was for the "National Collection". Maybe the Science Museum Group is downsizing on assets, if it's for disposal rather than loan.

221101 Voyager

Established Member
Also, with re-tractioned motor coaches, little in the way of suitable spares to reuse from the scrapped ones.

Thanks Don. Previously I'd heard that the trailer was for the "National Collection". Maybe the Science Museum Group is downsizing on assets, if it's for disposal rather than loan.
True on the motor coaches to be fair.

It will be interesting to see what happens to the DT from 4201. I hope it gets preserved somewhere nice and that it is repainted into NSE livery. :)

On Moderation

There's a difference between the designating body (the Railway Heritage Designation Advisory Board: Railway Heritage Designation Advisory Board - Science Museum Group) and the NRM. Although they are both part of the Science Museum Group, the museum may decide it doesn't want certain items (or doesn't have space for them) and they will be disposed of elsewhere.

221101 Voyager

Established Member
Small corrections.

Wolverton isn't fitting the desks. It's being done by DB ESG on site at Bournemouth.

The new desks have had a prototype done which should be 419s.

Oh Thanks. I naturally thought Wolverton would do it all.

Are the traction mods done at Wolverton then the desks fitted at Bournemouth? or is it vice-versa?

If it's of any help, I noted that 2417 and 2423 where in the sidings outside Portsmouth & Southsea station on the 19th of September last year (2020), unsure if still down there or if they have moved since then

1613839908783.png

(Image shows a Google Maps picture of the area around Portsmouth & Southsea, with the aproximate location of the 2 442's highlited by a red oval)

221101 Voyager

Established Member
If it's of any help, I noted that 2417 and 2423 where in the sidings outside Portsmouth & Southsea station on the 19th of September last year (2020), unsure if still down there or if they have moved since then

View attachment 91093

(Image shows a Google Maps picture of the area around Portsmouth & Southsea, with the aproximate location of the 2 442's highlited by a red oval)
Nice! Lovely stuff. A map and a date is great. Thanks I shall add it to the list. ;)

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Nice! Lovely stuff. A map and a date is great. Thanks I shall add it to the list. ;)
If you put the numbers into the search box for “this thread” you’d find they returned to Bournemouth in October though. you could be looking for too much detail here...

Nym

Established Member
Oh Thanks. I naturally thought Wolverton would do it all.

Are the traction mods done at Wolverton then the desks fitted at Bournemouth? or is it vice-versa?
Traction, brakes and interior at Wolverton by Gemini. New static converters and some aux stuff by TXM Projects either at Wolverton or Bournemouth and new desks at Bournemouth by DB ESG.

221101 Voyager

Established Member
Traction, brakes and interior at Wolverton by Gemini. New static converters and some aux stuff by TXM Projects either at Wolverton or Bournemouth and new desks at Bournemouth by DB ESG.
Thank you for that knowledge. :)

Later sightings of 2417 + 2423

They worked from FR to BM 23/10/20. Hence my comment re 2410 + 2420 being last to work mainline on DC.
Thanks that has been added. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.