• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 455 and 458 ongoing maintenance updates

swr444

Looks like a fresh coat of paint. They must still have some red left over. had they known the 455s were still going to be in service six years down the line, would they have started painting them in SWR livery? (Anyone out there with photoshop skills able to do one?)
I think it’s just had a deep clean that’s all.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Big Jumby 74

Was a very good paint job when done round about the time the traction was modified. Old school two pack paint, much harder wearing/longer lasting.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Was a very good paint job when done round about the time the traction was modified. Old school two pack paint, much harder wearing/longer lasting.
Indeed. A good few years before they'd need a repaint even if they were staying long-term.

Well, SWR haven't exactly rushed to repaint the diesels, which were always going to be retained for years to come, so I rather doubt it. We're over six years on from the FG / MTR takeover, and even the flagship Desiros aren't all reliveried yet.
Diesels had 8 year paint warranty at last C6. First one painted 2015, the last 2019. C6 being scoped now.

nctd2306

Looks like 455868 is getting painted into original BR colours!
Correct, apparently it will do a special staff only run from Bournemouth to Wimbledon depot on the 4th March, then re enter service in the "new" colours the following day on the 5th

The first unit Bournemouth painted 5711 back in 2013 had about 15 coats when you totted up all the primer/paint/lacquer. Cost a fortune and probably pushing it out of gauge ;)

The refurb/C6 overhaul/retraction order with the odd exception for first of type was 7s, 9s, 8s. The 58s being C6'd mainly in 2016/7 still come up well with a good clean.

Big Jumby 74

The 58s being C6'd mainly in 2016/7 still come up well with a good clean.
That's good to hear. A problem back then was the hammering the bodysides took in the CWM's, although IIRC (albeit not 455 related), NT's CWM being a newbie, was purpose designed to minimise such scratching?

gmaguire

I see that there is a new SWR route map above the doors on 5865, so no more SWT logo and dated Eurostar reference. Ironically I saw it in car 71701.