• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 455s what are you views on them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Drsatan

Established Member
The 4-SUBs they replaced and EPBs they displaced didn't have bogs either. But then they didn't even have open stock or side corridors.

The EPBs did have corridors though, but no corridor connection between coaches. The EPBs did have non-corridor compartment coaches though, but after a female passenger was murdered in one in the 1980s they were painted with a red stripe at cantrail level, and weren't used after 20:00.

johnb

Besides all DaFT think about is bums on seats, also you'd only get the inbreds who frequent the network treat them as smoking/drug taking parlours or graffiti scrawling cubicals.

You only need to see the state of the bog's on the 458's & 450's to see that.

Eh? Nowt wrong with the bogs on any of the 458s or 450s I've ever been on. Some Northern Pacers and Sprinters on the other hand... [retches at memory]

4SRKT

Established Member
Eh? Nowt wrong with the bogs on any of the 458s or 450s I've ever been on. Some Northern Pacers and Sprinters on the other hand... [retches at memory]

I was in a pacer from Newcastle to Carlisle in about 1986 on my way to Belfast, and there was a suicide at Wylam. On discovering that the reason we had stopped abruptly (and I mean abruptly) was a suicide, one woman immediately went to the toliet and was sick lavishly all over the tiny cubicle. Considering we had to get all the way to Carlisle, and were heavily delayed, this meant almost three hours without a usable toilet. Silly cow.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The EPBs did have corridors though, but no corridor connection between coaches. The EPBs did have non-corridor compartment coaches though, but after a female passenger was murdered in one in the 1980s they were painted with a red stripe at cantrail level, and weren't used after 20:00.

The Bullied 4 EPB's (Like the majority of SUB's) were built with 2 open motor coaches, 1 open trailer and one non-corridoor compartment trailer. After it became clear that non-corridoor compartment carriages weren't as safe as one would have liked, many of the trailers were swapped between units leaving some units with all open stock, and others with two compartment trailers with the red stripe which weren't supposed to be used after 20:00. A lot of the units facelifted in the early eighties had the two compartment trailers which were opened out during the facelifting, allowing compartment carriages to become very rare.

EPB's, I salute you !!!

Chafford1

Besides all DaFT think about is bums on seats, also you'd only get the inbreds who frequent the network treat them as smoking/drug taking parlours or graffiti scrawling cubicals.

You only need to see the state of the bog's on the 458's & 450's to see that.

Did you drive the SUBs and EPBs?

thefab444

Established Member
My dad clocked one doing 110 between Basingstoke and Winchester, but I don't know how over optimistic the speedos were.

Burkitt

The EPBs did have non-corridor compartment coaches though, but after a female passenger was murdered in one in the 1980s they were painted with a red stripe at cantrail level, and weren't used after 20:00.

The silly thing about this is that the murder in question happened at about half past two in the afternoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.