• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 465 and 466 set for storage/scrap: possible uses for them in future?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Domh245

Established Member
Anyway onto the point at hand, I thought 707s in reality have only marginally more capacity than 465/466s?

Using the figures from the South Western & South Eastern franchise agreements, 10x707 is 1182 total capacity whilst a 10 car networker* is 1153. Depends how reflective of reality the standing numbers are (640 vs 289 respectively) and how 'easily' the train can be loaded past that point

*not including 465/9

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Using the figures from the South Western & South Eastern franchise agreements, 10x707 is 1182 total capacity whilst a 10 car networker* is 1153. Depends how reflective of reality the standing numbers are (640 vs 289 respectively) and how 'easily' the train can be loaded past that point

*not including 465/9

I imagine seeing as 707s are similar to 700s, it will definitely improve dwells at some of the key metro stations.

ScotGG

Established Member

*not including 465/9
Those figures seem to underestimate the difference.

But even if there's a bigger difference, it's not a hugely substantial increase.

It seems like the result of a scramble to find something to do with 707s due to political embarrassment of new trains going off lease

30 trains doesn't displace most Networkers, increases lease costs, introduces an even more mixed fleet on SE and without investment in new sidings results in a marginal capacity increase.

Loading may be a bit quicker, but there's so much padding now in timetables even that isn't a massive issue.

A0wen

On Moderation
Why carn't Southern have a few and scrap the 313's . They can put them on the Brighton/Portsmouth . As they have toilets

Because replacing 40 year old stock with 30 year old stock possibly isn't the best way forward ?

At some point there is going to need to be a plan to replace the 455s and 313s which Southern has, both of which are at or near life expired. Replacing them with 30 year old stock, which wouldn't be standard is probably more costly and is basically kicking the can down the road. Far better to order a common fleet which would wipe out those and possibly even the 171s if there is a way forward with Uckfield and Marshlink.

Journeyman

Established Member
Because replacing 40 year old stock with 30 year old stock possibly isn't the best way forward ?

At some point there is going to need to be a plan to replace the 455s and 313s which Southern has, both of which are at or near life expired. Replacing them with 30 year old stock, which wouldn't be standard is probably more costly and is basically kicking the can down the road. Far better to order a common fleet which would wipe out those and possibly even the 171s if there is a way forward with Uckfield and Marshlink.
Absolutely - best thing would be a metro fleet of sufficient size to replace the 455s, and allow Electrostars currently on suburban services to replace 313s and possibly 171s by cascading.

brad465

Established Member

I wonder what the odds are that one super fleet is ordered that completely replaces the Networkers plus Southern's 455s and 313s, as chances are they'll be getting replaced around the same time as they're all near the end and no full replacement has been confirmed yet?

Established Member
A net reduction in capacity for Southeastern on the mainline- 465s do not have SDO so the Maidstone East Line services would once again be reduced to 4 or 6 coaches rather than the 8 all day it currently enjoys.

To be very pedentic they do have a very primitive form of SDO. Using “F” or “R” release buttons, it’s possible to release all doors apart from those on either the front or rearmost carriage of the formation. This used to be used for the shorter Charing Cross and Victoria platforms, but has not been authorised for years.

They’re also equipped with a “Hoo junction” release, which releases (IIRC) only the front most carriage. Intended for staff trains stopping at short halts such as at Hoo Junction, hence the nick name. Again, not authorised for use for goodness knows how long.

A0wen

On Moderation
I wonder what the odds are that one super fleet is ordered that completely replaces the Networkers plus Southern's 455s and 313s, as chances are they'll be getting replaced around the same time as they're all near the end and no full replacement has been confirmed yet?
I think @Journeyman summed it up quite nicely - a fleet to replace the 455s plus allow cascade of Electrostars which are currently covering suburban services.

Aventra's would look to be a good fit - the successor to the Electrostar, 20m carriage lengths, either as 4 or 8 car units.

RealTrains07

Established Member
I think @Journeyman summed it up quite nicely - a fleet to replace the 455s plus allow cascade of Electrostars which are currently covering suburban services.

Aventra's would look to be a good fit - the successor to the Electrostar, 20m carriage lengths, either as 4 or 8 car units.
But are completely incompatible with the electrostars. Southern needs a common fleet and SE would still have a mixed fleet of various train types

JonathanH

Veteran Member
A complete new fleet on Southeastern and freeing up 376s and 377/5s to go to Southern to release 313s and 455s would appear to make more sense than any new trains at Southern.

Given some 455s are used on Victoria to Epsom Downs services that can take 10-car operation, the combination of 23 377/5s and 12 4-car 377s freed up by not running 4+3+3 formations should be enough to still give sufficient 8-car Metro trains for the routes via Tulse Hill restricted to 8-car operation.

As a result, Southern would be 100% Electrostar and Southeastern have a uniform metro fleet.

Last edited:

Aictos

Established Member
A complete new fleet on Southeastern and freeing up 376s and 377/5s to go to Southern to release 313s and 455s would appear to make more sense than any new trains at Southern.

Given some 455s are used on Victoria to Epsom Downs services that can take 10-car operation, the combination of 23 377/5s and 12 4-car 377s freed up by not running 4+3+3 formations should be enough to still give sufficient 8-car Metro trains for the routes via Tulse Hill restricted to 8-car operation.

As a result, Southern would be 100% Electrostar and Southeastern have a uniform metro fleet.
Don't forgot you have 10 car operations from London Bridge that use 4+3+3 on the Epsoms so have you taken that into account?

Is this official or just an idea (I know there's been talk of them going to Southern before)?
That's what I like to know, is there a source to confirm it as at the moment it's just speculation regardless of having heard it on good authority.

brad465

Established Member
Seems like a sensible way to remove the 455s.

Does it result in some 465s/466s coming back from storage and therefore reduce the likelihood of imminent scrapping?
Sounds like it's too late to the save the Beckenham 3, but if all 376s do leave SE next year, then there is no way SE can afford to lose anymore 465s if (as is almost certain), a full replacement for them isn't available. The 707s would in effect be replacing the 376s more than they're replacing 465s, and there's 6 less 707s than 376s.
I have heard this on good authority.
Thank you for confirming.

Fincra5

Established Member
376s to SN early next year
Thats been rumoured before... They're not actually suitable for SN Metro in their current setup. (They'd need DOO Equipment added or shortened to 4 Car - for use with existing Mirrors/ Monitors).>>

Anyway that's going off Topic. :lol:

ScotGG

Established Member
Five car trains to Southern (707s and 376s with a coach removed possibly plus new orders) where the limit is 8-10 car, and 4/6 car trains to Southeastern where millions has been spent on a 12-car network with not enough stock to run 12 car trains. SDO allows the 12-cars to stop at the minimal number of stations where 12 cars cannot stop.

Aictos

Established Member
Five car trains to Southern (707s and 376s with a coach removed possibly plus new orders) where the limit is 8-10 car, and 4/6 car trains to Southeastern where millions has been spent on a 12-car network with not enough stock to run 12 car trains. SDO allows the 12-cars to stop at the minimal number of stations where 12 cars cannot stop.
Don't forget you can still extend the Class 707s as it's a modular design capable of up to 240m formations and still in production so if Class 707s were cascaded to Southern with 3 extra carriages to make them all 8 car sets then you have enough to displace the entire Southern Class 455 fleet plus have 7 sets spare or on maintenance.

That's if SouthEastern decide they don't want them any more.

As to the Class 376s, the London Bridge routes they could be used on in their current configuration is London Bridge to Epsom/Caterham/Tattenham Corner as they use a mix of 4+3+3 for the Epsoms and 5+5 for the Caterhams/Tattenham Corners freeing up the Class 377/6s and Class 377/7s to be used on the Victoria to Hastings/Eastbourne/Portsmouth/Southampton etc services freeing up the existing Class 377s to replace the existing Class 313 workings and if there's enough to make inroads into replacing the Class 455 workings too.

I can't comment on London Victoria as it's not a terminus I've had much time to use

Class 466

Established Member
Are there any places in particular (in zones 1-6) I can catch them as I have not had a chance to ride them before.
Across the Southeastern Metro routes From Charing X/Cannon St/Victoria to Gravesend, Dartford, Hayes, Orpington & Sevenoaks

brad465

Established Member
Are there any places in particular (in zones 1-6) I can catch them as I have not had a chance to ride them before.
If you wanted to be more adventurous than within London they do also run to Tunbridge Wells from Charing X, Gillingham via the Chatham Main line (on a lucky day they go to Dover Priory via Chatham, although pre-covid the frequently requested diagrams thread revealed these movements) and this summer they should once more be doing the summer specials via the North Kent line to and from Ramsgate.

(on a lucky day they go to Dover Priory via Chatham, although pre-covid the frequently requested diagrams thread revealed these movements)
Currently on a weekday the 09:12 and 10:12 from Victoria to Dover are 465/9s, with the 12:12 being anything from the other subclasses.

Return from Dover at 11:50, 12:50 and 14:50.

Saturdays might be all 375s but wasn't in the last few Saturdays to notice.

Sundays there is at least one 465 diagram but I don't pay much attention to when as it runs all day instead of being interworked with peak hour Gillingham services like the ones on a weekday.

(I live right next to the Dover route as a source for how I know this).

A0wen

On Moderation

The 707s have just been moved to South Eastern - why move them to Southern and lose a coach? Makes no sense at all.

I think a new build Aventra is more likely for Southern allowing 455s and 313s to be replaced.

Aictos

Established Member
To be very pedentic they do have a very primitive form of SDO. Using “F” or “R” release buttons, it’s possible to release all doors apart from those on either the front or rearmost carriage of the formation. This used to be used for the shorter Charing Cross and Victoria platforms, but has not been authorised for years.

They’re also equipped with a “Hoo junction” release, which releases (IIRC) only the front most carriage. Intended for staff trains stopping at short halts such as at Hoo Junction, hence the nick name. Again, not authorised for use for goodness knows how long.
Class 365s have this too, you can on a 8 car set either release either just the doors on the front set, the rear set or all doors release however First Capital Connect/Great Northern policy was that all doors HAD to be platformed and that only releasing either doors on the front unit/rear unit was strictly forbidden.

As a example, one Sunday there was two cancellations in a row from Hertford North to London one morning with the next southbound service being a diverted pair of Class 365s needless to say a request for it to stop there to pick up with a request for only the doors on the front unit to be released as it's a 7 car platform was met with a firm no so had to explain to a crowd of unhappy passengers that the company turned down my request and to see the train that could have stopped whizz though.

Personally there was no reason why it couldn't have been done, it was just the company being anti passenger.

Meerkat

Established Member
Considering the politics - will an order of 701 type for Southern Metro be needed to keep the factory open?

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Considering the politics - will an order of 701 type for Southern Metro be needed to keep the factory open?
An order for Southeastern would keep a factory going for some time without a Southern order.

Meerkat

Established Member
Standard product for all 3rd rail South London metro would make demand shifts easier to deal with too….

Status
Not open for further replies.