• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 484 replacing class 483 on the island line: progress updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Does the running of these trains during normal traffic hours imply confidence in their performance / signal compatability, &c?
Pat
The Fareham - Botley - Eastleigh line is a good simulation for the length of Island Line, and with only one service train each way for most of the day I suppose it’s not going to cause massive disruption if a 230 fails, ie it’s about the least risky line to use.

I was wondering if running them in pairs is partly mitigation for a failure, but does it not mean two of the cabs aren’t used during any particular days running? Do they change them round day by day?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MotCO

Established Member
The Fareham - Botley - Eastleigh line is a good simulation for the length of Island Line, and with only one service train each way for most of the day I suppose it’s not going to cause massive disruption if a 230 fails, ie it’s about the least risky line to use.

I was wondering if running them in pairs is partly mitigation for a failure, but does it not mean two of the cabs aren’t used during any particular days running? Do they change them round day by day?

Does running them in pairs mean that both parts are accumulating fault-free running?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Does running them in pairs mean that both parts are accumulating fault-free running?
That’s what I was wondering too - at least for the cab equipment. Is there a precedent for any new mainline EMUs doing much of their fault free running in multiple, or do they normally run singly?

Goldfish62

Established Member
That’s what I was wondering too - at least for the cab equipment. Is there a precedent for any new mainline EMUs doing much of their fault free running in multiple, or do they normally run singly?
When the 458/5s did their fault-free running they ran in pairs.

Meerkat

Established Member
Excellent to see that the test running has progressed so far. I do hope that they can do something in the software to take the edge off the extra loud high pitch screaming as they start to move. While I liked the 483s I am sure that these new trains will give a real boost to Island Line once they have settled in.
So isnt just me who thought they sounded painfully noisy! The neighbours aren’t going to be happy….

Chris125

Established Member
So isnt just me who thought they sounded painfully noisy! The neighbours aren’t going to be happy….

I don't think it's quite as bad in real life, and won't be half as annoying for the neighbours as the ear-splitting door chimes...!

Mollman

Established Member
The later Electrostars and Aventras seem to have done a lot of testing in pairs from what I have seen.

Bigfoot

Memory serves they are also to run in pairs at certain times on the island, so multiple testing is probably a requirement of the fault free running/testing.

Gloster

Established Member
If they don’t intend to run the sets in pairs, then five is a gross overprovision. A half-hourly service requires two trains, so five sets leaves one spare/maintenance. If they only ran singly, then there would be two in use and three spare. Personally, I doubt if they will run in multiple except on summer Saturdays and Bank Holidays, and around special events, such as the Isle of Wight Festival.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Re them being noisy, the Marston Vale ones aren't, you can barely hear the modern kit, it just sounds like a Tube train (the traditional "traction motor noise" is actually from the gearbox). There is something about those specific sounds that make phone cameras pick them up disproportionately loudly.

D365

Veteran Member
Re them being noisy, the Marston Vale ones aren't, you can barely hear the modern kit, it just sounds like a Tube train (the traditional "traction motor noise" is actually from the gearbox). There is something about those specific sounds that make phone cameras pick them up disproportionately loudly.
Can confirm. They’re far far louder on video than in real life. Same goes for 230001/002.

spark001uk

Established Member
Most devices do it, some worse than others. Their microphone agc circuits are not nearly as advanced as the human aural system.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
If they don’t intend to run the sets in pairs, then five is a gross overprovision. A half-hourly service requires two trains, so five sets leaves one spare/maintenance. If they only ran singly, then there would be two in use and three spare. Personally, I doubt if they will run in multiple except on summer Saturdays and Bank Holidays, and around special events, such as the Isle of Wight Festival.
On the other hand 5 units allows for the sort of gradual reduction in availability over another 40 years, as seen with the 38 stock?

Bigfoot

On the other hand 5 units allows for the sort of gradual reduction in availability over another 40 years, as seen with the 38 stock?
If the request for funding to open disused lines on the island is granted I would expect more stock to be required.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Here’s a video of a pair of 484s in Eastleigh and Hedge End on 15th July:

There’s a staff call at Hedge End station on the down run.

Wonder how much they’d make if public tickets went in sale - (not a serious question of course). :D

Last edited:

Gloster

Established Member
At 15.00 today one 483 was to be seen in the back platform at St Johns Road, but nothing else was visible in the yard. Seen from a passing bus, so I couldn’t read the number.

Gloster

Established Member
Another coach arrived today according to the County Press. Despite my scepticism I saw the returning low-loader at around 18.15, so perhaps they have got it right. It looked, from the video on the County Press’ website, as though no set number was painted on the end. From a momentary glimpse, the vehicle number might have ended in 12.

Journeyman

Established Member
Another coach arrived today according to the County Press. Despite my scepticism I saw the returning low-loader at around 18.15, so perhaps they have got it right. It looked, from the video on the County Press’ website, as though no set number was painted on the end. From a momentary glimpse, the vehicle number might have ended in 12.
484 002 is formed 132-232. Think it was that one?

Gloster

Established Member
484 002 is formed 132-232. Think it was that one?
It was only a very brief glimpse at an angle in the last split second of the video, but the final digit on the vehicle side looked more like a 2 than anything else. It was only one coach, so presumably the other will arrive tomorrow: at the moment we are only half-way there.

Skymonster

Established Member
Single car numbered 300232 - half of 484002 - strangely it does not have 484002 on the driving end (unlike the other units) or the Island Line name on the yellow panel. With this delivery, five of the ten cars are on the island.

Chris125

Established Member
Single car numbered 300232 - half of 484002 - strangely it does not have 484002 on the driving end (unlike the other units) or the Island Line name on the yellow panel. With this delivery, five of the ten cars are on the island.

Graffiti attack at Eastleigh perhaps? It does seem to be missing various vinyls.

Matt Taylor

Established Member
The other half of 484002 has arrived in Portsmouth and should be heading over on St Clare anytime now. Two more coaches expected this week.

Edit: I just saw St Clare and there is a confirmed 484 vehicle on board.

Last edited:

Goldfish62

Established Member
No not yet. One unit was dragged through the tunnel to Ryde Esplanade and back a couple of weeks ago.
One was dragged through again a couple of days ago for a tunnel evacuation exercise. Apparently it went through the tunnel somewhat faster than the previous crawl.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
There’s a suggestion on wnxx that another car or unit is going over today; is there any news from the IOW?

Skymonster

Established Member
Yes, one car from 484003 has moved to the island today, the other is expected next Tuesday - after that only 005 left to ship

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Yes, one car from 484003 has moved to the island today, the other is expected next Tuesday - after that only 005 left to ship
Thanks. Seems possible they no longer need mainland testing time then, as that’s generally involved pairs running?

Status
Not open for further replies.