• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 507 preservation society.

Chris 1980

The fundraiser is cooking with gas now, a quarter of the target having been raised at £2,500. Most encouraging for a fortnight's work, with 44 days still remaining for the rest.
We are just over the £3,000 mark now! :D

If the tour is also supposedly now postponed until September, they might well extend the crowdfunder to run even longer so that more can be raised.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

We are just over the £3,000 mark now! :D

If the tour is also supposedly now postponed until September, they might well extend the crowdfunder to run even longer so that more can be raised.
Glad for you that the donations are creeping up, keeping the crowdfunder open for longer is definitely worthwhile as the transport is the easy bit!

Forty29

Didn't l read somewhere this unit has been brought for £1 from Angel trains to prevent it going to the scrapyard. A home for it has been found apparently. Apologies if l have it confused with another unit.

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
Didn't l read somewhere this unit has been brought for £1 from Angel trains to prevent it going to the scrapyard. A home for it has been found apparently. Apologies if l have it confused with another unit.
Yes correct. Providing the money is raised for the road transport it's going to the Tanat Valley Light Railway in Shropshire.

On Moderation
Which to my mind means that Angel have donated the unit, with the £1 just a symbolic value to effect the ownership transfer. It’s a pity the 507 Preservation Society hasn’t recognised this generosity from Angel - their press releases do not mention it. The ROSCOs are under no obligation to support preservation efforts, yet they have done so for many years - the least those organisations benefiting from it can do is to at recognise that support.

prod_pep

Established Member
Fantastic to see the 507001 crowdfunder has raised over three-quarters of the target now with over a month still to run. A little publicity has gone a long way it seems and it looks more and more likely this fine unit will be spared the cutter's torch.

prod_pep

Established Member
It's there! Over £10,000 has been raised in less than a month to secure 507001's road move into preservation. What a superb result.

Remind me, how much did you think they'd raise again, Bertie?

birchesgreen

Established Member
Fantastic achievement, i think it was about 2K when i donated so i wasn't sure if it would make it...

Lets hope its just the start of a bright future for the unit.

12LDA28C

Established Member
It's there! Over £10,000 has been raised in less than a month to secure 507001's road move into preservation. What a superb result.

Just heard a news item on Radio 2 confirming this. Some great publicity there.

Magdalia

Established Member
Also on BBC1 news at 1pm.
The story is on the BBC News website here:

A rail enthusiast has bought a 1970s train for £1 in a bid to save it from the scrapheap.

Robert Hampton, 41, now hopes to raise £10,000 to move the Merseyrail Class 507 train to a museum.

Earlier it was in the top 10 most read stories.

Chris 1980

Amazing achievement!!

Let's hope it has a very bright and long future in preservation for many decades to come!

Brilliant news!

Mollington St

Not jumping the gun here - But the 507 Preservation Group have just accepted the offer of a space at the forthcoming North West Railway and Transport Collectors Fair ( Please see the attached flyer with all details ) to present them selves and be there in person to discuss the short and long term plans for 507 001 .
A great opportunity to find out first hand what is happening now fellow enthusiasts and the public have helped them reach the initial total required to have the Unit moved .

Attachments

• North West Rail 2024.jpg
    North West Rail 2024.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 29

Established Member
Not going to lie, I am impressed by these guys.

They certainly seem to have more of an idea what they are doing than some other groups such as the 315 group.

Very impressed. Hopefully they can keep up the momentum they have built.

Yeah, I have to say well done them, it may not be most interesting train in the world but if all we preserved was the glamour we would have twenty A4s preserved and we don't and to me that's a good thing. Did it receive any major damage from its clang the other day or was it superficial