• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 701 'Aventra' trains for South Western Railway

godfreycomplex

Established Member
That’s interesting to learn. So Waterloo is standard guard dispatch? I’m surprised by that as RA is surely preferable at busy locations on stock without drop lights, so that platform staff can conduct a final safety check once the guard is aboard and all doors are closed (the procedure at my London terminal is for the guard to close doors, then RA to be given to the driver by platform staff).

If I was to take a wild guess, I’d imagine the reason is simply to reduce the number of platform staff required!
It is yes. Mandatory dispatch at all times, which isn’t the case at a lot of SWR stations.
The reason RA dispatch is mandated by Network Rail at certain locations is partially to do with the final safety check, partially to do with RA being interlocked with red signals whereas bells are not; and partially (this was the reason that Glasgow Queen Street went over to RA after the recent-ish refurbishment) because of the proximity of pointwork immediately past the starting signal, making RA necessary under signalling standards as a SPAD mitigation measure. The last one was certainly a factor at (if I’ve guessed correctly) your London terminal as well, after its refurb

Weren’t all the SWR guards monitors installed much later (from around 2004 onwards when the Desiros came in) ?
Would have been around early - mid 2010s they started coming out in earnest. They were largely a part of the 10 car extension project when the 456 & 458/5s came in

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

3973EXL

Established Member

Towers

Established Member
Waterloo and Kings Cross are the only remaining London termini (not counting through platforms/Underground) that don’t use the RA for all passenger services, and as swr444 has said that is changing at Waterloo
Point of order; London Paddington too. RA is not used for guarded trains there, only for DOO & ECS moves.

AM9

Veteran Member
... They are geared for higher speed and faster acceleration and braking. ...
Minor point,
How can they be both geared for higher speed and faster acceleration, - the two are mutually incompatible, (unless they have a multi-speed gearbox - which they don't).

Goldfish62

Established Member
30 really, they won't run a single train on New Year's Eve.
Since when???? It's a normal Sunday service.

I had a look through a window of 701023 yesterday when it stopped at Wandsworth Town on a test/training run (there was a group of SWR staff standing in a doorway halfway down the train) and as previously stated I can confirm that the seat padding looks noticeably thicker than the standard ironing boards as found on the 700, 707 etc.

Last edited:

TEW

Established Member
Since when???? It's a normal Sunday service.

I had a look through a window of 701023 yesterday when it stopped at Wandsworth Town on a test/training run (there was a group of SWR staff standing in a doorway halfway down the train) and as previously stated I can confirm that the seat padding looks noticeably thicker than the standard ironing boards as found on the 700, 707 etc.
Yes, having sat in one of the seats I would say they're definitely better than 700s and 707s. They're the best version of that seat in my opinion.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Where have you seen this? Is it a public announcement or an internal document/newsflash?
My guess is that being a soft launch it is not worth waiting/looking for a public announcement. Probably the staff who have to know (to operate them) will be the best source (for us) of information - transmitted by some internal document to those who need to know.

But very good news indeed.

Andy1673

My guess is that being a soft launch it is not worth waiting/looking for a public announcement. Probably the staff who have to know (to operate them) will be the best source (for us) of information - transmitted by some internal document to those who need to know.

But very good news indeed.
Very sorry but what is the soft launch? what is that and how will it be look like?

Peter Sarf

Established Member
But will it be constantly booked working? or only one-time-special event?
Being a "launch" I am interpreting (hoping) that to mean it will not be a one off run. It should mark the beginning of a roll out of more and more 701s. Probably first taking over all the services on the Waterloo/Windsor route one-by-one. Then spreading to other services - most likely also on the Windsor lines side.