• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 701 'Aventra' trains for South Western Railway

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Is the shielding attached the shoegear arm or the bogies - point being if its fixed to bogies shoes are still exposed when there down. Presumable the 710/2's have same arrangement?
They’d be more exposed if the shielding is fixed (I think it is because the shoes are tied to it in transit), but the shoes are still vertically underneath the shield, which must have a slight benefit.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

aleggatta

The reason for the arc shield is, primarily to protect against an arc from shoe to bogie, whether caused by lack of maintenance or external influence. if an arc from shoe to bogie occurs normally it results in the unit being removed from service until bearing change occurs. The arc shields seem larger on new units as most of the arc shield on older units blends into the rest of the outboard frame bogie, but by and large the protected area is the same on old and new

spark001uk

Established Member
I passed 5Q30 at Surbiton on my way to Waterloo just now, it was blocking the up fast for about an hour, then got turned back to Eastleigh - guessing the signalling issue at vaux was the reason. Have to feel sorry for all the photters I saw waiting at stops north of there, if that was what they were waiting for.

Goldfish62

Established Member
I passed 5Q30 at Surbiton on my way to Waterloo just now, it was blocking the up fast for about an hour, then got turned back to Eastleigh - guessing the signalling issue at vaux was the reason. Have to feel sorry for all the photters I saw waiting at stops north of there, if that was what they were waiting for.
That's twice now signalling problems have resulted in cancellation of a whole day's testing.

spark001uk

Established Member
Today's 5Q30 canned again. Also there was a VSTP run to Staines and back (5Q40/41) for this morn, only for someone's gazebo to do a runner and wedge itself on the track between Addlestone and Chertsey, so that was canned as well.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Today's 5Q30 canned again. Also there was a VSTP run to Staines and back (5Q40/41) for this morn, only for someone's gazebo to do a runner and wedge itself on the track between Addlestone and Chertsey, so that was canned as well.
At this rate a normal couple of months testing is going to take a couple of years!

pompeyfan

Established Member
The first visit to Portsmouth today of a 701, running as 5Q30-5Q34, Eastleigh - Portsmouth - Guildford - Portsmouth - Eastleigh.

moley

The first visit to Portsmouth today of a 701, running as 5Q30-5Q34, Eastleigh - Portsmouth - Guildford - Portsmouth - Eastleigh.
Are they route clearing the entire SWR 3rd rail network for the Class 701 then? I get Eastleigh & Bournemouth. Even Weymouth has always been a proving ground.

Just not often they bring one of their new toys into Pompey.

pompeyfan

Established Member
Are they route clearing the entire SWR 3rd rail network for the Class 701 then? I get Eastleigh & Bournemouth. Even Weymouth has always been a proving ground.

Just not often they bring one of their new toys into Pompey.

They must be, but 707s also made their way down the PDL on more than one occasion.

moley

Just curious as 455s aren't cleared south of Haslemere on the PDL.
458s?

Clearly beneficial if both the 450s and 701s can go anywhere.

DenmarkRail

Meerkat

Established Member
I think I’d like this more if they also branded the 450/444 fleets as ‘Desiro’ and then named the other fleets. Create a consistent naming structure rather than just naming the new.

It’s a little like how TPE annoyed me by naming their new trains in the Nova scheme but not the 185s.
The Nova business is rubbish - how many people know which is which?

Just curious as 455s aren't cleared south of Haslemere on the PDL.
458s?

Clearly beneficial if both the 450s and 701s can go anywhere.
458s are cleared to Fratton Depot on the Portsmouth Direct as they have been going there for mods recently

455s are cleared to Fratton Depot via Eastleigh

Domh245

Established Member
I can understand the appeal of a special name (ie, not just the manufacturer family name) for a fleet where you're trying to sell an 'experience' more than a journey, but for suburban commuter stock‽

zn1

If Arterios are the 701s squadron designation then a 5ART sounds a bit like FART...so in my warped mind trains will be formed of a five or ten farts

just my warped mind in overtime...

I just discovered cycling again....this warped mindedness is down to pressure on my pair of VEPS

Ianno87

Veteran Member
If Arterios are the 701s squadron designation then a 5ART sounds a bit like FART...so in my warped mind trains will be formed of a five or ten farts

just my warped mind in overtime...

I just discovered cycling again....this warped mindedness is down to pressure on my pair of VEPS

5ART just needs the 'H' adding.. :)

TrainTube

Maybe, they'll carry defibrillators?

Edit: One of the 701s is out and about... Passed on the UF through Wimbledon about an hour ago.
2 are actually. One been doing stuff around Kingston and just passed me at Woking, the other is going Dorking runs.