• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 701 'Aventra' trains for South Western Railway

Snow1964

Established Member
Seems there is a police incident closing lines between Twickenham and Teddington, expected to end of day. Don't know any details but apparently under Metropolitan police control rather than BTP.

Potentially if all sorts of chaos at Twickenham with people being asked to take local buses to/from there, then doing a launch via Twickenham today might not wisest move, as going to be disruption announcements every few minutes on the route.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SWT_USER

I've lost track over the past few pages - is it this service? I'll have a wonder down if it's confrimed as a 701.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Getting very exciting now it’s even been allocated in the system! God, I wish I wasn’t in my dingy Cardiff house right now. Typical I was originally supposed to be at home in SWR land today too!

43OO4

Words are being eaten, I'm impressed! With Twickenham though it won't be without disruption.

Ian Hardy

Words are being eaten, I'm impressed! With Twickenham though it won't be without disruption.
Why will there be disruption, the only lines that are closed are those between Twickenham Junction and Teddington, looking at RTT the Kingston Roundabout services are only running between Waterloo and Twickenham and terminating from the Down direction in platform 3 at TWI. They seem to be running to time so should not conflict with the Windsor and Reading services. The lines to and from Whitton are open.

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/se...01-09/0200-0159?stp=WVS&show=all&order=actual
https://signalmaps.co.uk/#twickenham:1158

markle

Trains are operating through Twickenham onwards to W&ER / Reading without difficulty. The line closure only affects the Kingston loop.

H&I

Looks like it actually is happening. Geoff Marshall is at platform 19 right now along with Phil Sherratt from Modern Railways.

43OO4

Gag Halfrunt

I'm sure you're right, but I thought that I'd point it out because it will give more opportunities to witness the miracle.

H&I

Other than Geoff and Phil, I can’t see any obvious train enthusiasts that are here for the train. If you are planning to catch it, come over to platform 19! You have until 10:20 for a 10:25 departure!

traji00

(Not calling at Sunnymeads apparently due to flooding)

Other than Geoff and Phil, I can’t see any obvious train enthusiasts that are here for the train. If you are planning to catch it, come over to platform 19! You have until 10:20 for a 10:25 departure!

I might try and get a look on its return. (Expected arrival of 2U92 12:28)

nctd2306

Do I need to book an emergency eye test or am I genuinely reading this correctly!? o_O
About time, I hope this all goes smoothly and they can finally push on a bit with the training/introduction etc, from an enthusiasts point of view, I'll miss the motor thrash offered by the 455s but my goodness the 701s are needed desperately, as boring as Aventras may be for us enthusiasts, there's no denying that they will be a big upgrade providing they can actually provide a reliable service and not break down every few journeys

43OO4

Do I need to book an emergency eye test or am I genuinely reading this correctly!? o_O
About time, I hope this all goes smoothly and they can finally push on a bit with the training/introduction etc, from an enthusiasts point of view, I'll miss the motor thrash offered by the 455s but my goodness the 701s are needed desperately, as boring as Aventras may be for us enthusiasts, there's no denying that they will be a big upgrade providing they can actually provide a reliable service and not break down every few journeys
We might have a repeat of the 458s, they may well end up completely showing up the rest of the fleet in a handful of years even with the rockiest start we've seen in a long time!

H&I

That’s as good a guarantee as anything :frown:
There’s also a bunch of management folks at the gateline now. Two train enthusiasts have shown up on the platform. I think I have to take up the task of documenting this event if no one else turns up.

mullinsj08

This surely can’t be right… o_Oo_Oo_O

How long until they’re stopped again do we reckon? :lol:
It might be a few months.

From reading through the thread, we still need a driver training course to be agreed and then quite a few drivers to be put through the training course.