• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 701 'Aventra' trains for South Western Railway

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
They are quite fast from recent footage of GPS performance. I can attatch the file. They are also geared most certainly for 100mph.

A person I interract with on you tube posted their acceleration up to 57mph. This is also impressive considering they are 10 cars , and trains ranging from 10 to 12 cars have always neen power nerfed on third rail. The class 701s dont seem to be at all.

Class 701 acceleration GPS speed
I believe modern EMU power restrictions in the third rail areas are permanently set irrespective of length, ie a single 450 or 444 is restricted in exactly the same way as when running in multiple.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Aren’t they all quite likely to be made redundant imminently, as the factory has little further work? Must be a bittersweet moment :(.
Correct unfortunately. The future of the factory is very uncertain.

Slightly OT. 2nd April sees an empty CS move booked from Wimbledon to Marchwood. It's marked as GBRf hauled, so potentially it's a 701 drag?
They're sending another one to long term storage????

Last edited:

The_Train

Established Member
Use them?

Wait... I'm a few days early for making such an outrageous suggestion
It's well known that a 701 has to be left to set in a siding somewhere before being used - a bit like a good dessert being left to set in the fridge :D

Established Member
It's well known that a 701 has to be left to set in a siding somewhere before being used - a bit like a good dessert being left to set in the fridge :D

More like wine ageing timescales in this case, the 2020 vintage isn’t half bad I gather. :D

New estimate: 3 round trips Windsor and Eton Riverside daily, Monday to Friday off peak by the end of the year (a whopping one extra service)

D365

Veteran Member
Your GPS footage isn't something you should rely on for acceleration. If you watch it, occasionally the numbers will just randomly jump or go faster to catch up, that's because the accuracy of GPS is very varied. Your method is much better for estimated of how long it takes the unit to reach a certain speed. The method the other person used is likely going to provide a more accurate result for acceleration.
Some spotters seem to swear by GPS recordings for their ”0-60 times”!

Some spotters seem to swear by GPS recordings for their ”0-60 times”!
The 0-60 times tend to be near accurate when repeated if usjng a GPS . There are many ways to verify that it works often times. If i use a GPS (modern ones are pretty smooth) and lets say i use it on a train where the line speed reaches 60mph and the driver hits 62mph on the GPS and then slows down slightly as to reduce speeding, then the GPS goes from 62mph to 60mph, it means the GPS was right with its approximations as the driver was overspeeding. I guess you could call this the "line speed test for GPS validity" or something

Another way is to see is if the GPS continuously fluctuates between random figures.

A third way to verify accuracy is to see the speed dropping gradually when drivers coast the train. And then look at it when the drivers accelerating again to meet line speed or near line speed. Typically it reads as some close approximate on GPS.

And lastly , repeated measures to 60mph or whatever speed on a given train. Youll find that its often quite the same. GPS accuracy has gotten alot better as technology has developed. So GPS measurents can be a good way of measuring approximate speeds and time trials in my opinion.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Just a gentle reminder this is a traction & rolling stock thread to discuss updates relating to Class 701 'Aventra' trains for South Western Railway

If anyone would like to discuss any other topic, please create a new thread (if there isn't one already) or use an existing one (if there is); thanks! :)

The Combined Volume states each traction motor is 250kW, two per powered carriage, therefore 16 traction motors which equates to 4000kW.

Half that for the five car units.
A lot more than the 707 then! Considering they're 5 cars, they have 1,200 kW, and according to what you're saying the 5 car 701 would have 2,000 kW

Established Member
I believe modern EMU power restrictions in the third rail areas are permanently set irrespective of length, ie a single 450 or 444 is restricted in exactly the same way as when running in multiple.

Depends on stock. SE’s 375 derate if coupled as a twelve car formation to reduce draw on the supply (at least they would as it a few years ago - my knowledge is somewhat dated). Appreciate Desiros are a different kettle of fish, but in principle restrictions can also vary by length.

Latest word on the street (rumours, nothing confirmed) is the 455s might still be in service until 2026..
701s don't seem to be close to a full rollout

On Moderation
Latest word on the street (rumours, nothing confirmed) is the 455s might still be in service until 2026..
701s don't seem to be close to a full rollout
With the greatest of respect, rumours are utterly pointless being reported on here. Even those who supposedly know what is going on are giving different stories - which is presumably indicative of SWR’s corporate (in)competence. Best waiting for something to actually happen.

I
The Combined Volume states each traction motor is 250kW, two per powered carriage, therefore 16 traction motors which equates to 4000kW.

Half that for the five car units.
It wont be that high on DC . Its likely that they are nearer between 1200kw-1300kw as a 5 car and 2400kw-2600kw as a ten car .

Their acceleration via gps is fast, but isnt as springy as an AC fed train. So they are still reatricted on DC.

A lot more than the 707 then! Considering they're 5 cars, they have 1,200 kW, and according to what you're saying the 5 car 701 would have 2,000 kW
the 701s are probably closer to that 707 feat than 2000kw. 701s hace the unfrustructure to use 2000kw-4000kw but likely power capped on DC

Depends on stock. SE’s 375 derate if coupled as a twelve car formation to reduce draw on the supply (at least they would as it a few years ago - my knowledge is somewhat dated). Appreciate Desiros are a different kettle of fish, but in principle restrictions can also vary by length.
I wonder if work on the third rails or substations will ever be done to accomodate for greater power draw at 12 cars? They acceleration really just taps out near 75mph 80mph . Esspecially on the hills or inclines

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I wonder if work on the third rails or substations will ever be done to accomodate for greater power draw at 12 cars? They acceleration really just taps out near 75mph 80mph . Esspecially on the hills or inclines
They’ve been upgrading the power supply route by route ever since slam door stock replacement started. Theres a lot of new kit around once you notice it. NR will only fit the minimum possible upgrade to support the known train plan, so will always be playing catchup.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
They’ve been upgrading the power supply route by route ever since slam door stock replacement started. Theres a lot of new kit around once you notice it. NR will only fit the minimum possible upgrade to support the known train plan, so will always be playing catchup.
Waterloo to Southampton and Reading are upgraded for high current railway which is 6kA maximum/train which is nominally 4.5MW when its off these routes its 4500A and presumably use GPS to select which current limit to use. So its potentially possible to get close to installed motor output although train hotel load needs to be deducted.

Snow1964

Established Member
On SWR has been going on for years. From memory a lot of the suburban area was 660v until the 4SUBs were withdrawn around 1983. Redevelopment saw the loss of some the original 1915 era huge brick substations (eg Kingston), these were originally manned and had rotary converters from ac to dc.

Battersea-Waterloo was upgraded for Eurostar about 1993. Can see the extra transformers adjacent to the original substations. Since then most of the suburban substations were upgraded, some were done based on condition over the years, but there was a splurge of remaining upgrades ahead of the 10car scheme.

I am not up to speed, but I suspect most of the remaining weaker power areas are probably on less heavily used sections originally electrified in 1930s. Which for normal 701 operating area will be Staines-Reading, Ascot-Guildford-Haslemere, and Farnham & Alton branches. But maybe few other pockets eg Guildford new line or Shepperton branch etc. It could be that power limits on 701s could be set at 10-20% higher power if just few restricted areas were improved, but I don't know if the power limits on 701s are based contractually on substations at the 2017 order date, or what the current network and reduced timetable could handle.

On Moderation
On SWR has been going on for years. From memory a lot of the suburban area was 660v until the 4SUBs were withdrawn around 1983. Redevelopment saw the loss of some the original 1915 era huge brick substations (eg Kingston), these were originally manned and had rotary converters from ac to dc.

Battersea-Waterloo was upgraded for Eurostar about 1993. Can see the extra transformers adjacent to the original substations. Since then most of the suburban substations were upgraded, some were done based on condition over the years, but there was a splurge of remaining upgrades ahead of the 10car scheme.

I am not up to speed, but I suspect most of the remaining weaker power areas are probably on less heavily used sections originally electrified in 1930s. Which for normal 701 operating area will be Staines-Reading, Ascot-Guildford-Haslemere, and Farnham & Alton branches. But maybe few other pockets eg Guildford new line or Shepperton branch etc. It could be that power limits on 701s could be set at 10-20% higher power if just few restricted areas were improved, but I don't know if the power limits on 701s are based contractually on substations at the 2017 order date, or what the current network and reduced timetable could handle.
The Reading route had the power supply upgraded not that long ago in connection with the 10-car railway and proposed 4tph all-day service.

Tell that to the rest of this site haha
I wonder if t
ive heard that. I think it should probably be bolstered to handle greater power feeding. At least the criteria should be to enable the train to reach max speed in a reasonable tmeframe.

perhaps after 20 years they should be updated again? It sounds idealistic but better for train performance. At least in my opinion.

Waterloo to Southampton and Reading are upgraded for high current railway which is 6kA maximum/train which is nominally 4.5MW when its off these routes its 4500A and presumably use GPS to select which current limit to use. So its potentially possible to get close to installed motor output although train hotel load needs to be deducted.
4.5MW sounds reasonable.
4MW is the 701 max at ten cars but based on acceleration vids ive seen via gps they dont quite match up to 720 acceleration so its likely they are power restricted but given a decent power output to still outperform most EMUs on DC.

720s seem to have a max output of 2000kw at 5 cars according to wiki . So an educated guess is that if an aventra like a 701 geared to the same speed cannot hit 60mph in 42 seconds. It likely isnt able to use max power based on comparisons

Last edited: