• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 701 'Aventra' trains for South Western Railway

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

wickham

5Q78 0945 Eastleigh Depot to Machwood has run today (rather late) - presumably with 701014 ??
A return 5Q85 1236 Matchwood to Eastleigh depot is also shown to run, presumably retrieving a 701 from store ?
The rather interesting thing at the momement is that there are actually two trains at Marchwood the above 5Q78 powered by a Class 69 and the London Gateway to Marchwood container train (powered by a 66?): Nothing there for days then two at the same time !!

Diagrams with a single 4/5 car unit throughout must be a rarity on SWR suburban services, if they exist at all.
Likely true, but just as a starter. To at least get them going and then joining them together to make 10 cars. In other words getting individual 5 car smaller units in, and forming then into 10 cars.

But my idea stemmed around a smaller unit potentially being easier to start off with. But who knows.

Unfortunately until all platforms have been tested and passed DCO checks for 10 car, 5 car and 2x5 car formations of 701 I doubt we will see them in service.

Not sure why training hasn't started yet though.
A guard told me he speculates three months until more services with arterio, but who knows.

Sun Chariot

Established Member
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
5Q78 0945 Eastleigh Depot to Marchwood has run today (rather late) - presumably with 701014 ??
A return 5Q85 1236 Matchwood to Eastleigh depot is also shown to run, presumably retrieving a 701 from store ?

There are actually two trains at Marchwood the above 5Q78 powered by a Class 69 and the London Gateway to Marchwood container train (powered by a 66?)
Yes, London Gateway (Tilbury docks) empty spine wagons to Marchwood, is the balancing working of Wednesday's loaded trip; photo attached. 66734 at the head of 'em both.

69009's 701 drags today - drat and double drat. It is the only day this week that I was not able to head over there....

Attachments

• 66734_Marchwood_1_.JPG
    66734_Marchwood_1_.JPG
    5.4 MB · Views: 103
  • 66734_Marchwood_2_.jpg
    66734_Marchwood_2_.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 103

The_Train

Established Member
So 014 has now completed its journey to Marchwood and 701xxx has come out of Marchwood today?

wickham

Re: above: It looks like it, but nobody has been able to confirm yet, which units WERE conveyed. Without doubt, both trains ran !

brad465

Established Member
Apparently the SWR 707 microfleet lease is now under "renewals", likely due to stock shortages and yet another indicator of the 701s not be close to starting a proper rollout.
They only have 2 units, the rest are with Southeastern now. How long before SWR start asking for some of them back the way things are going?

Samzino

They only have 2 units, the rest are with Southeastern now. How long before SWR start asking for some of them back the way things are going?
SE won't hand them nothing back considering they're current state of stock. Plus shouldn't the 376s shortly be going for minor refurbishment.

On Moderation
SE won't hand them nothing back considering they're current state of stock. Plus shouldn't the 376s shortly be going for minor refurbishment.
Southeastern will do whatever the DfT tells them.

So 014 has now completed its journey to Marchwood and 701xxx has come out of Marchwood today?

U.701019 came back up from Marchwood to Eastleigh Depot with 69009.

Incidentally U.701014 had a graffiti attack while at Eastleigh - front 3 coaches has a new livery.

U.701004 which was going to Marchwood last week and sat in Eastleigh Yard for a while, 69009 hauled that back into the depot.

U.701005 was on 5Q51 test run today.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
SE won't hand them nothing back considering their current state of stock. Plus shouldn't the 376s shortly be going for minor refurbishment.
Yes, I think it’s far more likely that at some stage SE will insist on delivery of the last 2. SWR have no feasible rights to ask for any of SE’s stock.

Samzino

Because SE is OLR?
So OLR wouldn't care that it would be hampering some services if it were to somewhat hand back 707s to SWR around the time the 376s are expected to be refurbished.

Assuming to be honest the 376s will even be refurbished.

CarrotPie

So OLR wouldn't care that it would be hampering some services if it were to somewhat hand back 707s to SWR around the time the 376s are expected to be refurbished.

Assuming to be honest the 376s will even be refurbished.
I don't know; it's the DafT we're talking about here. At this rate, who knows when the 376s will be refurbished! But this is going off-topic.

On Moderation
My only question is why would the DFT bail out SWR and put SE under the cosh
Because SWR’s need is greater. SE would not be “under the cosh”, they’ve lost virtually no stock since Covid. Unlike SWR.

It really does feel like a charade doesent it? I wonder why a few of the 5 car variations couldn't have been made first so they can occupy lower capacity services in the off peaks until more come into service.

And more frequently on a couple of different routes? For more than two or four services mind you. South western rail do seem to be taking their sweet time with everything.
Only 5 car routes were planned to be the likes of Ascot to Farnham and Guildford to Aldershot. Part of the issue with the cabs was that 2* 5 car had to be effectively identical to a 10 car in platform postioning.