• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 701 'Aventra' trains for South Western Railway

Dan G

Not strictly correct as they agree an annual business plan with each operator and its deviation from the annual business plan that get DafTs staff involved in evaluating the change and agreeing to it.

In the 23/24 business plan the following is recorded for the 701's which would have involved SWR costing the task and resources to achieve the desired outcome and then DafT signing it off so SWR could get on with it.

View attachment 157328
Those quarterly reports would be a very interesting read!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SWT_USER

Not strictly correct as they agree an annual business plan with each operator and its deviation from the annual business plan that get DafTs staff involved in evaluating the change and agreeing to it.

In the 23/24 business plan the following is recorded for the 701's which would have involved SWR costing the task and resources to achieve the desired outcome and then DafT signing it off so SWR could get on with it.

View attachment 157328
Presumably the dates are all redacted to save further embarrassment on missed deadlines?

TheHSRailFan

701037 is out on a test run? Madness
What else is there to expect since I feel we won't hear about another diagram for some time...

This image probably provides one of the best comparisons of the 701 and 455. What a difference it is, which is to be expected when they're over 40 years apart.
I really like the look of the 701s, very sleek and modern
Screenshot_2024-04-21_at_12.18.41.png
Hi, that my image from one of my Twitter accounts.
Please credit me next time.

Hi sorry someone sent this to me and I assumed it was their photo.. nobody payed any attention to the post anyway so hopefully no damage done. If I could delete it I would

Why is it being sent out on 5Q runs on the mainline when it’s been used multiple times on the Windsor circuit
No drivers for another diagram

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I think you can see it was posted in good faith (and he even complimented it) It’s been included to demonstrate the differences between two trains, not to pass it off as his own photography.

Why is it being sent out on 5Q runs on the mainline when it’s been used multiple times on the Windsor circuit
Perhaps it might be seen a safer bet for a successful driver or staff training run seeing as it’s been running pretty unproblematically thus far :)

I wonder why the 701s don't have buttons on the inside of the doors like the 710 does. It would make sense for a high capacity train such as this

dragon814

Another 701/5 unit fetched from store at Worksop today top and tailed by 47749 and 69009. No side numbers visible to ID the unit. Does anybody know which one?

D365

Veteran Member
That’s because 037 is not currently being operated on Windsor diagrams…

swr444

That’s because 037 is not currently being operated on Windsor diagrams…
You don't say? it just seemed strange to me that it was being used on test runs when it has been used in passenger service multiple times. never mind.

Waterlemon

You don't say? it just seemed strange to me that it was being used on test runs when it has been used in passenger service multiple times. never mind.
Famously once a unit has been in passenger services it cannot be used for any sort of testing whatsoever. That GWR IET running into Waterloo a few months ago was actually brand new off the production line.

swr444

Famously once a unit has been in passenger services it cannot be used for any sort of testing whatsoever. That GWR IET running into Waterloo a few months ago was actually brand new off the production line.
the mainline test runs have been predominantly for fault free mile testing.

nick parish

I have a memory that when the 458s were being made ready, there was a time the Ascot to Guildford line was converted to bus in order to free up crew for training. Am I right? And could such be done again to speed up 701 entry to service?

wickham

Re. the photo in Post 9016 of 701501 and the comment regarding the pantograph - blowing the photo up it looks like there is still something in the pantograph well - has it still got the pantograph ?

Clarence Yard

Established Member

No, it wasn’t - it had been in passenger service for over 4 years!

Carlisle

Established Member
I have a memory that when the 458s were being made ready, there was a time the Ascot to Guildford line was converted to bus in order to free up crew for training. Am I right? And could such be done again to speed up 701 entry to service?
If that happened it’ll have likely been primarily due to SWTs general driver shortage after allowing too many voluntary redundancies rather than training requirements.

I do think @swr444 ’s comment was perfectly reasonable in the circumstances, though, and didn’t really deserve any sarcasm!
I'm not commenting on if it was appropriate or not, just explaining

Re. the photo in Post 9016 of 701501 and the comment regarding the pantograph - blowing the photo up it looks like there is still something in the pantograph well - has it still got the pantograph ?
Yes indeed it does, see this post of the movement earlier https://x.com/DSB3PHOTOGRAPHY/status/1785761440034410587

Last edited: